I want to learn to tank
With as easy as the Mists dungeons are, you could get some 415 plate for your paladin and starting queuing as tank. Only two dungeons at first, so plenty of repetition to learn the fights and pulls.
But there is nothing like starting a warrior from scratch imo to learn tanking concepts, which are far more important I think, then simply knowing how to tank with a specific class.
Warrior is pure suck mode until you get devastate at 26. Until then your major CDs are on a 6 sec timer, and you can be stuck without an active skill to use during high-speed pulls (which every group seems to want). Can make it feel like an eternity if you get adds. Things get better after that and are pretty stable around the 40's.
Can't really speak to the other classes. Not sure when they get their tools, and haven't tried tanking on them much this xpac.
10/29/2012 04:32 PMPosted by ShortykungfuYou have a 90 Monk apparently...
I hear they are pretty hard for a beginner
they are. but they are also the most fun.
Don't look for a training wheels tank, tank on the tank you will have alot of fun with.
For me? that's warrior or monk.
(note, im not saying other tanks are training wheels tanks, the OP asked for something "easier")
10/29/2012 04:24 PMPosted by ShortykungfuWhats a good tank for a beginner I thought DK maybe or pally because I have a pally at 85 and DK of course start at 55 and I dont want to lvl from 1 honestly.
Think they're pretty much all the same these days. No bear love here? They're big and furry and they need your love.
Pick whatever tanking class you have that's the highest level and go from there.
12/01/2012 09:56 PMPosted by EruitarMonks are very fun and easy to tank as. Go for a monk :o
Having healed a fair share of LFG monk tanks, most of them are squishy as hell. You have to watch their HP bar a lot closer than with the others. Give me a warr or a pally, nice smooth damage profile, no sudden surprises unless they decide to pull the room.
1) Please let others grab the quests. Dont just port in and rush right to the first mob you see. Just a little courtesy goes a long way.
2) Keep an eye on your healers location and mana levels. You wont make it far if you have no healer behind you. I know a lot of tanks like to rush ahead as fast as they can with their speed boosts to get to a new group of mobs, but dont be angry when you die because your healer has not caught up with you yet. Healers dont really have instant BOOM YOU ARE HEALED spells. It takes seconds to cast a big heal.
3) If you aggro a group of mobs, and some of them are casters, they aren't going to follow you when you run ahead to get another group of mobs. They are going to hang back and cast against the groups DPS. This leaves the healer with a choice....do they run ahead and keep you alive, or stick back and heal the DPS.
2. Turn Group/Party/Instance chat off. Don't need to hear them whine.
3. It is ok to let them die. See point 1 and 2 above.
4. It is always the healer's fault.
dont get too used to using things like stuns etc as a way of increasing your survivability since they very very rarely work on boss fights they are however great for trash and some adds in boss fights!
Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.