I want to learn to tank

82 Human Warrior
Monks are very fun and easy to tank as. Go for a monk :o
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I feel squishy as hell tanking heroics as a monk, but then again, I think I was squishy on my druid too at first. So that would be the easiest if you don't feel like leveling.

With as easy as the Mists dungeons are, you could get some 415 plate for your paladin and starting queuing as tank. Only two dungeons at first, so plenty of repetition to learn the fights and pulls.

But there is nothing like starting a warrior from scratch imo to learn tanking concepts, which are far more important I think, then simply knowing how to tank with a specific class.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
Easiest tank I have tried is Paladin, mostly because they get their tools early on, and they have a diverse ranged toolkit. Makes it easy when you have split mobs or someone on the healer to pick off. Just cast judgement, avenger's shield, etc. You can also self heal, which is godly at lower levels when your healer is AFK half the time.

Warrior is pure suck mode until you get devastate at 26. Until then your major CDs are on a 6 sec timer, and you can be stuck without an active skill to use during high-speed pulls (which every group seems to want). Can make it feel like an eternity if you get adds. Things get better after that and are pretty stable around the 40's.

Can't really speak to the other classes. Not sure when they get their tools, and haven't tried tanking on them much this xpac.
Reply Quote
10/29/2012 04:32 PMPosted by Shortykungfu
You have a 90 Monk apparently...

I hear they are pretty hard for a beginner

they are. but they are also the most fun.

Don't look for a training wheels tank, tank on the tank you will have alot of fun with.

For me? that's warrior or monk.

(note, im not saying other tanks are training wheels tanks, the OP asked for something "easier")
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
10/29/2012 04:24 PMPosted by Shortykungfu
Whats a good tank for a beginner I thought DK maybe or pally because I have a pally at 85 and DK of course start at 55 and I dont want to lvl from 1 honestly.

Think they're pretty much all the same these days. No bear love here? They're big and furry and they need your love.

Pick whatever tanking class you have that's the highest level and go from there.
Edited by Missdotzalot on 12/4/2012 10:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
12/01/2012 09:56 PMPosted by Eruitar
Monks are very fun and easy to tank as. Go for a monk :o

Having healed a fair share of LFG monk tanks, most of them are squishy as hell. You have to watch their HP bar a lot closer than with the others. Give me a warr or a pally, nice smooth damage profile, no sudden surprises unless they decide to pull the room.
Reply Quote
82 Human Warlock
Just a suggestion for when you are leveling in instances.

1) Please let others grab the quests. Dont just port in and rush right to the first mob you see. Just a little courtesy goes a long way.

2) Keep an eye on your healers location and mana levels. You wont make it far if you have no healer behind you. I know a lot of tanks like to rush ahead as fast as they can with their speed boosts to get to a new group of mobs, but dont be angry when you die because your healer has not caught up with you yet. Healers dont really have instant BOOM YOU ARE HEALED spells. It takes seconds to cast a big heal.

3) If you aggro a group of mobs, and some of them are casters, they aren't going to follow you when you run ahead to get another group of mobs. They are going to hang back and cast against the groups DPS. This leaves the healer with a choice....do they run ahead and keep you alive, or stick back and heal the DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
1. Grow a thick skin, remember your queue pops instantly and getting kicked from dungeons is no problem at all. Good luck to the idiots who'll now have to wait for another tank.

2. Turn Group/Party/Instance chat off. Don't need to hear them whine.

3. It is ok to let them die. See point 1 and 2 above.

4. It is always the healer's fault.

:D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
a great place to practise tanking in a lvl 90 group environment is scenarios they are pretty much designed so DPS can tank so your chance of dying is very low get recount and set it to damage taken record your damage taken for boss fights and next time you fight that boss see if you can beat your record (note fight time as well since if you get amazing dps first time then horrible dps the next time your fight might last 3 times as long and if you look at recount and see you took twice the damage this time youll think that you have gotten worse even though thats an improvment!)
dont get too used to using things like stuns etc as a way of increasing your survivability since they very very rarely work on boss fights they are however great for trash and some adds in boss fights!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Lol, you really turn off party chat?

What if they want you to do a quest mob, or wait for the healer to drink? Sometimes you can actually have a good time talking with pugs.

Thank god I don't play alliance.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]