Blood DK tanks Dual Weilding?

90 Orc Death Knight
11/12/2012 04:03 AMPosted by Icelord
1. if death knights dont have a survivability issue then why have a seen none of them do any good at surviving, is that only in BC dungeons that they die alot, because that seems a bit illogical that it would only affect a small level range

They don't have Blood Shield yet. Low level dungeons are irrelevant to class balance at 90.

3. yes, just because something is there doesnt mean you should do it, but it represents that you CAN do it, so why would it exist if their was no possibility of it

Because most Runeforges are worthless and the ones that are useful you can only have about 2 at a time if you're DW which doesn't work for tanking sorry.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
11/11/2012 10:08 PMPosted by Icelord
i was just thinking about this topic and wondered (prove me wrong if i am wrong) but with DW wouldnt it give you more survivability considering that all 2 handers have DPS specs but there are 1 handers designed for tanks, so dual weilding tank weps would increase you survivabilty (which i beleive to be the strongest weakness of a dk as they cannot use a sheild and therefore loose alot of armour), then in the way of threat: 1. in blood presence you generate double threat by default and 2. blood boil does mega damage and geuss what it doesnt scale off your weapon damage mix theese 2 together and you can almost garrentee never loosing threat that fight.

I just realized that this is all apparently 1 sentence.

Anyway, yes, theoretically, you do have more survivability from stats with 2 tanking 1-handers, but realistically, you don't because RNG exists. I'm not talking about worst-case scenario RNG, either. The stat gain is rendered insignificant in the face of RNG. It was like 0.3% in Cataclysm, which was well within the margin of error. In MoP, there is even less benefit to DW-ing (SoB nets less RP). Really, you aren't at a disadvantage because your 2H weapons don't have pure tank stats on them. Swordshattering is miles better than any other tank weapon with its enchant plus its secondary stats.

Using a 1H weapon, when almost all of your highest damage-dealing attacks are based off of main-hand weapon damage, is going to hemorrhage your DPS. Thus, even though you may have the threat output necessary to hold threat, you could be doing tremendously more damage.

Spamming Blood Boil is a crutch for DW. It may do more damage than Heart Strike, but the simple fact of the matter is that a 2H using Heart Strike would hit much harder.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Everything. Everything is a fault with your theory. DKs don't have a survivability issue, Blood Presence is their shield. Blood Boil doesn't do mega damage at 90. Using weapons with different stats won't help you avoid DR. The fact that runeforges exist for a particular purpose is not evidence that you should do it. There's also Lichbane, but nobody uses that either.

1. if death knights dont have a survivability issue then why have a seen none of them do any good at surviving, is that only in BC dungeons that they die alot, because that seems a bit illogical that it would only affect a small level range

2. considering that DR is a thing that makes multiple of the SAME stat have less effect, then logicaly spreding various stats out evenly would make the penalty less. and yes i have been to the wiki and read up what DR means so dont give me that crap

3. yes, just because something is there doesnt mean you should do it, but it represents that you CAN do it, so why would it exist if their was no possibility of it

when you reply please use resourses to back yourself up, i dont mind being proven wrong, but not just being told without reason or logical explaination.

You're level 73. You are missing a ton of abilities that make a difference in endgame tanking. It would be like making a mage, getting rolled in level 19 WSG, and concluding that mages are horrible at PVP. Max level is really the only point where theory crafting and min/maxing matters. I'll not continue to debate max-level DKing with someone who's never been there. Your experience is what it is, but it's irrelevant to end game.

Edit: also, we've been dealing with these same exact arguments for 4 years and I have neither the time nor the inclination to repeat my reasoning against same for what would surely be the hundredth time. Frankly, if you want to dual wield so bad, go ahead. You might even do a decent job of it. But the math will bear out that you'd always be better off with a 2h.
Edited by Deathquoi on 11/12/2012 6:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight

2. considering that DR is a thing that makes multiple of the SAME stat have less effect, then logicaly spreding various stats out evenly would make the penalty less. and yes i have been to the wiki and read up what DR means so dont give me that crap

when you reply please use resourses to back yourself up, i dont mind being proven wrong, but not just being told without reason or logical explaination.

1. burning crusade is a derp area for dks. new players are attracted by the fact that a new class opens up at level 55 for them so they reroll, burn through the opening quests without ever really learning how to play a dk then queue for dungeons totally clueless. hence you see the frost/unholy dks trying to tank in blood presence, the blood boil spamming blood tanks that never even touch death strike never touching defensive cds etc. dont base a classes viability on underleveled content combined with the likelihood that a great number of the people playing at that level are totally clueless.

2. doesnt matter if you seperate which stats you are using. one handers have less raw stats to work with and they are still subject to DR. the gain is so small you dont notice it and once again this is not worth nerfing your damage output.

3. the only logical reason why dw still exists for blood and unholy spec dks is the starting quests for dks which require you to dw and torture scarlet crusade warriors. being funneled into frost wouldnt be fair to starting dk players. blizz has expressly stated that unholy and blood are 2h weapon specs. they are fine with blood dks dw tanking and if you can make it work thats great as long as it doesnt outshine 2h tanking but they have said they have no intention of adding features to make it work
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
This is the cries that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Somebody cried to dual wield tank not knowing why it sucks and they'll keep crying for it forever just because.
Repeating...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Just like 2hand Enhancement and Blood dps..
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Death Knight
i was thinking dk tanks should duel weild because that means much faster scent of blood procs= more death strike heals. and more runic power= more dps. but i didnt research much
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Oh boy! What a thread to necro!
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
HOLY BATMAN'S BALLS NECRO!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Ok, just so I understand.

A lot of the Blood DK's abilities are based off of how much a single weapon strike does, so by using a one handed weapon, you do less damage per strike than if you used a two handed weapon, so your abilities do less. Is this correct?

Excuse my ignorance, I am essentially completely new to WoW. I played for a couple months back before WotLK released, quit, and recently a friend gave me a SoR. So, I'm new, and just trying to figure things out. I asked because I had wanted to dual wield, as it looks bad !@# IMO, but saw that everyone on here said Blood DK's can't/shouldn't do it.

dont know if this was replied to or not. just saw this and wanted to try to answer in a way that a new person might understand. The reason you dont want to use DW is as previously stated, because a blood dk's skills are based off of weapon damage. 2 1h weapons will have less overall power than a single 2h weapon of comparable level. Here is an example. You have two 1h Maces. in each tooltip it reads lets say. 280.4 dps. Now, on the otherhand you will have a 2h weapon of the same tier, an Axe whose tooltip will read, 740.6 dps. Since Blood spec has no passives that boost 1h weapons power, 2h is the best course of action.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Leiyha, why the F*ck did you necro this thread? Everybody here is tired of seeing these threads.
Reply Quote
Ok, just so I understand.

A lot of the Blood DK's abilities are based off of how much a single weapon strike does, so by using a one handed weapon, you do less damage per strike than if you used a two handed weapon, so your abilities do less. Is this correct?

Excuse my ignorance, I am essentially completely new to WoW. I played for a couple months back before WotLK released, quit, and recently a friend gave me a SoR. So, I'm new, and just trying to figure things out. I asked because I had wanted to dual wield, as it looks bad !@# IMO, but saw that everyone on here said Blood DK's can't/shouldn't do it.

dont know if this was replied to or not. just saw this and wanted to try to answer in a way that a new person might understand. The reason you dont want to use DW is as previously stated, because a blood dk's skills are based off of weapon damage. 2 1h weapons will have less overall power than a single 2h weapon of comparable level. Here is an example. You have two 1h Maces. in each tooltip it reads lets say. 280.4 dps. Now, on the otherhand you will have a 2h weapon of the same tier, an Axe whose tooltip will read, 740.6 dps. Since Blood spec has no passives that boost 1h weapons power, 2h is the best course of action.
thank you for repeating what has been made clear at least 20 times in this thread over a year ago
Reply Quote
96 Human Death Knight
Are we going to revive this? *sits down and eats popcorn*
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
10/29/2012 08:02 PMPosted by Kusari
because the important abilities scale with weapon damage. it isnt now and never will be viable
wrong use of the word viable once again

viable = feasible. which means it can be done. you are capable of dual wielding as a blood and meeting with success. however you are making it more difficult for your group in doing so.

the word you are looking for is optimal

dual wielding as a blood dk for the purpose of tanking is not optimal because there is no noticeable benefit for doing so and in turn are gimping your damage output since all of your strike abilities are based off of weapon damage.

Semantics.
Reply Quote
03/29/2013 11:06 PMPosted by Lanthorin
wrong use of the word viable once again

viable = feasible. which means it can be done. you are capable of dual wielding as a blood and meeting with success. however you are making it more difficult for your group in doing so.

the word you are looking for is optimal

dual wielding as a blood dk for the purpose of tanking is not optimal because there is no noticeable benefit for doing so and in turn are gimping your damage output since all of your strike abilities are based off of weapon damage.

Semantics.
old thread
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

Semantics.
old thread

Just noticed.
Reply Quote
96 Human Death Knight
*stares at Kusari and Lanthorin still eating popcorn*
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
hehe! Fear the Master Necro Rogue? 0.o *scurries away*
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Reported for trolling.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]