What's a easy/good profession for mages?

1 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm starting up WoW again after quiting when wotlk came out. I'm a huge pvper. I use to be a warrior but i'm going mage, as I hope mage is still that class where you're very flexible and viable in numerous 2v2/3v3/5v5 makeups in arena.

What's are good professions for a pvp mage?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
11/04/2012 09:01 AMPosted by Johoz

BS/JC

Eng is nice also... if you want to use it I'd replace jc

(only reason I don't have bs is cause I don't have that much gold)
Edited by Smoovie on 11/4/2012 9:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Paladin
11/04/2012 09:18 AMPosted by Smoovie

BS/JC

Eng is nice also... if you want to use it I'd replace jc

why blacksmithing?

I'm more focused on arena pvp, which means eng wouldn't be that good.. correct?

how is JC/Enchanting?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
why blacksmithing?

how is JC/Enchanting?

Because one of the best stats for mage right now is pvp power, and you get more of it from BS overtime when epic gems come out. Eng is still decent for arena because the only damage frost has is burst. Enchanting is alright.. if I had the luxury of choosing though I wouldn't use it because pvp power > int.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
I don't play mages, but most of your damage is done in quick burst windows, right? If that's the case, I agree with BS/Engineering. Getting +1920 int when you need it is a lot better than getting +320 all the time (enchanting)
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Paladin
why blacksmithing?

how is JC/Enchanting?

Because one of the best stats for mage right now is pvp power, and you get more of it from BS overtime when epic gems come out. Eng is still decent for arena because the only damage frost has is burst. Enchanting is alright.. if I had the luxury of choosing though I wouldn't use it because pvp power > int.

Thanks for the information, i'll go blacksmithing/jc.

I see you do well in PvP. is it as competitive as it was in BC days? I miss pvping a lot and I can't ever find a game where i enjoyed competitive pvp as much as wow. I use to be warrior and hold top 5 5v5/3v3 teams with occasionally top 2v2 teams.

Is mage as flexible as it was in BC? warrior wasn't too flexible. Is it hard getting solid pvp gear? In BC, the sets you can get from honor battlegrounds were pretty good and you can compete a bit if you gear up there and then go to arenas. The difference between arena and the honor sets were two seasons, which wasn't a big deal. especially if you're a caster class
Edited by Johoz on 11/4/2012 12:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I see you do well in PvP.
is it as competitive as it was in BC days?
Is mage as flexible as it was in BC?
Is it hard getting solid pvp gear?
In BC, the sets you can get from honor battlegrounds were pretty good and you can compete a bit if you gear up there and then go to arenas. The difference between arena and the honor sets were two seasons, which wasn't a big deal. especially if you're a caster class

I don't think bc was very competitive tbh.. there was such a large gap between the good players and the decent players there wasn't even room for competitiveness under glad range; now that everyone's catching up and is becoming as good as they possibly can I'd say it's more competitive now and harder to get rating.

It's too hard to compare BC mage to Mop mage, they're completely different. I'd say mage then was more flexible just because you weren't forced into only being able to get damage off if you could land 1 spell (frost bomb).. back then frostbolt was your main source of damage.

No. There's no requirement on getting pvp gear anymore -- (there's the elite gear but it doesn't give better stats than the regular other than the weapons). That being said you can just cap every week with default cap and be able to gear just fine.

Since most if not all people aren't fully geared yet you can compete with just honor gear. I've only got like 3 pieces of maleveolent and I'm able to do just fine.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Paladin
I see you do well in PvP.
is it as competitive as it was in BC days?
Is mage as flexible as it was in BC?
Is it hard getting solid pvp gear?
In BC, the sets you can get from honor battlegrounds were pretty good and you can compete a bit if you gear up there and then go to arenas. The difference between arena and the honor sets were two seasons, which wasn't a big deal. especially if you're a caster class

I don't think bc was very competitive tbh.. there was such a large gap between the good players and the decent players there wasn't even room for competitiveness under glad range; now that everyone's catching up and is becoming as good as they possibly can I'd say it's more competitive now and harder to get rating.

It's too hard to compare BC mage to Mop mage, they're completely different. I'd say mage then was more flexible just because you weren't forced into only being able to get damage off if you could land 1 spell (frost bomb).. back then frostbolt was your main source of damage.

No. There's no requirement on getting pvp gear anymore -- (there's the elite gear but it doesn't give better stats than the regular other than the weapons). That being said you can just cap every week with default cap and be able to gear just fine.

Since most if not all people aren't fully geared yet you can compete with just honor gear. I've only got like 3 pieces of maleveolent and I'm able to do just fine.

how long you think itll take me to get to 90 and then fully batlteground geared?.... i only really play for pvp i couldnt care less for pve lol
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
It doesn't take long to level anymore... it's nothing like it was in bc. They've changed getting pvp gear now though, you don't need any pve gear.. so you can just do bg's and get geared from it and be fine for arena
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
if you are gonna focus pvp, JC should be your last choice as there are no special serpent's eye gems for pvp power or pvp resilience. BS is a great choice for flixibility. after that, engineering for fun factor or any other crafting profession for equal stat bonus.
Reply Quote
Eng is funs. BS is the best. I dropped 600 enchanting on my DK just to get another toon with engineering. Just too much fun.
Reply Quote
Personally I like alchemy, and herb as well. I think its most fun and gets you a bit of your money back in the end
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Paladin
Technically, i'm really at no disadvantage if i pick any profession, as it's simply a matter of getting someone else to enchant yourself/socket it, etc.

am i right?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Technically, i'm really at no disadvantage if i pick any profession, as it's simply a matter of getting someone else to enchant yourself/socket it, etc.

am i right?

No, the professions give unique side benefits that do effect you.

Tailor - caster proc on their own cloak. Improved spellthread for legs
enchanter - enchant rings
inscription - improved shoulder inscription
BS - extra gem sockets
JC - special gems (no pvp options however)
LW - improved bracer enchant
Alchemy - Alchemist flask reusable, buff similar to other professions however. Trinket is mastery + huge int proc, very good but no pvp option for it. Cheap potions
Engineering - procs and gadgets that break battlegrounds.

If you want serious hardcore benefits for pvp, engineering and either tailoring/blacksmithing are your bets, however they are quite expensive and a pain to level. If you want something easy to put on a pvp character that won't take too much time, then a gathering profession like herbalism isn't bad, and alchemy is easy and cheap to level, despite being arguably sub-par for min/maxers.
Edited by Crystalah on 11/5/2012 6:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Paladin

am i right?

No, the professions give unique side benefits that do effect you.

Tailor - caster proc on their own cloak. Improved spellthread for legs
enchanter - enchant rings
inscription - improved shoulder inscription
BS - extra gem sockets
JC - special gems (no pvp options however)
LW - improved bracer enchant
Alchemy - Alchemist flask reusable, buff similar to other professions however. Trinket is mastery + huge int proc, very good but no pvp option for it. Cheap potions
Engineering - procs and gadgets that break battlegrounds.

If you want serious hardcore benefits for pvp, engineering and either tailoring/blacksmithing are your bets, however they are quite expensive and a pain to level. If you want something easy to put on a pvp character that won't take too much time, then a gathering profession like herbalism isn't bad, and alchemy is easy and cheap to level, despite being arguably sub-par for min/maxers.

yea since i'm starting up from scratch im going to be really poor so i'll prob start as miner/bs and then drop mining once i become stable...

thanks guys.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
yea since i'm starting up from scratch im going to be really poor so i'll prob start as miner/bs and then drop mining once i become stable...

thanks guys.
Not terribly hard to make gold. Just sell everything above grey quality you come across. If it doesn't sell the first two times, vendor it.

Then there's the matter of mists questing. Can get about 6k gold easy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]