Oceanic servers, the lost cause.....

90 Night Elf Hunter
So, have played this game pretty much since vanilla, and over that 6-7 years have seen numerous threads about oceanic servers, with little or no response from blizzard, along with all the interviews done by Australian gaming magazines, just to be told, and i quote " the Australian situation was something that was discussed within Blizzard on a regular basis"

The biggest problem i see here( in my opinion) is that Blizzard shot themselves in the foot when they gave us Oceanic named servers, a big percentage of oceanic players transferred, and over the years have established themselves in the oceanic gaming community, so if Blizzard were to put oceanic severs here, just think of the mass migration of players that would make them their new home.

There is also a big percentage of US players on oceanic realms, so just think if we were all to jump ship, it would leave massive gaps in realm population, guilds etc, so why not just close the oceanic US based servers you ask? well think about it, it would take a lot of man power, time and cost to do this, not to mention that the US players on oceanic realms would start complaining, as if they wanted to stay with their friends/guilds, they themselves then would be having to jump the Pacific ocean, and just create the same ping based problem for Blizzard.

So Blizzard aren't going to be upsetting the apple cart when it comes to how they have set up the servers, it would cost them more now to do this compared to back when the thought of setting servers up in Australia was first talked about, not cost in setting the servers up here, just the cost of having to try sort out the massive problems that would arise with the US based oceanic servers!

Its 2012, we all know its a different time to 2004-07, and we all know that this can be done, but as i stated above, blizzard shot themselves in the foot, they had the chance to do it, its gone, now they just brush us aside with their politician sounding answers, I would love to see this happen, as PVP for Australian's is not competitive at all, PVE is easier but still have some problems, but aside all that, if you're still playing the game, you'll still be jumping over the great blue ocean just to hit the shores of Azeroth!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Never going to happen as long as oceanic players still use the oceanic servers. It's just not worth it for blizz.

As for Telstra asking for too much from Blizz. Thats a myth. In fact Internode have offered for Blizz to set up servers in Australia and they even offered to fit the bill, provide the staff, just as long as they have the rights to say " Internode host official Blizzard servers". Blizz are not interested.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Not sure where in my statement i said anything about ISP's, and to be honest im kind of over the rumors of telstra, internode, as no one really knows who said what to who, im just stating as to why on a logical point of view as to why it wont happen.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I think blizzard made it clear a long time ago they just dont care about us period. We make up such a small pop of everything. Its kind of like this whole being on the UN.. oh yea watch out, our tiny army is going to hurt someone!!
Reply Quote
seems very disappointing that blizzard never implemented oceanic based servers. From what i understand the oceanic region is one of the fastest growing economic regions in the world, and it would be to a companies advantage to invest down here.
Edited by Bruteoz on 11/5/2012 5:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't know how many of you have been to the US but our county is tiny in comparison (Popwise, not land mass). I can see why they wouldn't bother giving us servers.
Reply Quote
11/05/2012 03:54 PMPosted by Eatmypants
I don't know how many of you have been to the US but our county is tiny in comparison (Popwise, not land mass). I can see why they wouldn't bother giving us servers.

When you start to include countries like Indonesia which is part of both Oceania and SE Asia you can quickly see there are populations similar to USA. So IMO it makes good sense to setup WoW infrastructure down here, not necessarily AUS but within the region.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Why do we keep going on about this?

Oceanic comes off sounding like petulant kids in a lolly shop after Mum and Dad have said NO!

The answer is NO!

Regardless of population, the setup costs would run into the millions (talking $50mil+) and for what gain? Explain to Blizzard shareholders, what possible gain, aside from the reduction in whinging forum threads, would Blizzard see out of such an investment in a game that shareholders already deem to be past it's used by date?

I really wish there would be a blanket ban on these threads - sick to death of them.
Reply Quote

I really wish there would be a blanket ban on these threads - sick to death of them.

Thread titles usually give the content away. Use better judgement before clicking on them, that way you never be sick of them, and you wont have to give YOUR opinion.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Thread titles usually give the content away. Use better judgement before clicking on them, that way you never be sick of them, and you wont have to give YOUR opinion.

The point is they clog up the Oceanic forums and they give us a bad rep. Ever noticed the lack of Blue attention we get considering the number of threads? It's like a ghost town in here from Blizzard support and can you blame them?

Just as you all create this ridiculous threads claiming to have a right to provide 'feedback', so to do the opposite side have a right to voice our opinion.
Reply Quote
I tend to agree with the OP that its a lost cause which is disappointing.

See i couldn't care less if you think we get a bad reputation for these treads, we are blizzards customers and this clearly is a request that has come up frequently by the oceanic community and wouldn't it be wonderful to actually get a reply by a community manager on the subject.

And this would be good for you also as it would silence these threads.

Im not sure what level of service you expect, but my expectations are higher than we currently have, and this is why i have cancelled my account.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/06/2012 02:28 AMPosted by Bruteoz
Im not sure what level of service you expect, but my expectations are higher than we currently have, and this is why i have cancelled my account.

You've cancelled your account but you're still on the forums? God I love people like you.

I expect Blizzard to respond to legitimate issues. This is not one. A common term in business and politics is 'asked and answered'.

I'm not a fanboi - Blizzard give me the irrits about a fair few things. But on this issue, it's pretty clear; all the whining, for 6+ years, has got you nowhere. Not even a Blue. Take the hint.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
11/05/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Aislinge
Regardless of population, the setup costs would run into the millions (talking $50mil+

what do you think they are setting up a bloody space program or something
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Have you any idea the actual cost of setting up and running a server farm of the size and capacity that Blizz would require for the Oceanic servers alone?

No? Stop talking then.

Or, educate yourselves with some light reading... http://www.datacenterknowledge.com

- Blizzard Online Network Services run in 10 data centers around the world, including facilities in Washington, California, Texas, Massachusetts, France, Germany, Sweden, South Korea, China, and Taiwan.
- Blizzard uses 20,000 systems and 1.3 petabytes of storage to power its gaming operations.
- WoW’s infrastructure includes 13,250 server blades, 75,000 CPU cores, and 112.5 terabytes of blade RAM.
- The Blizzard network is managed by a staff of 68 people.
- The company’s gaming infrastructure is monitored from a global network operating center (GNOC), which like many NOCs, features televisions tuned to the weather stations to track potential uptime threats across its data center footprint.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/11/25/wows-back-end-10-data-centers-75000-cores/

You may like to go through the further articles to ascertain the actual costings per realm for hardware not including colo, network, staff, bandwidth, lease or any other costs that might be involved. Or did you think that something like my 5k desktop machine could serve a realm of simultaneous connections via my Cable connection? >.>
Edited by Aislinge on 11/9/2012 5:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Have you any idea the actual cost of setting up and running a server farm of the size and capacity that Blizz would require for the Oceanic servers alone?

No? Stop talking then.

Or, educate yourselves with some light reading... http://www.datacenterknowledge.com

- Blizzard Online Network Services run in 10 data centers around the world, including facilities in Washington, California, Texas, Massachusetts, France, Germany, Sweden, South Korea, China, and Taiwan.
- Blizzard uses 20,000 systems and 1.3 petabytes of storage to power its gaming operations.
- WoW’s infrastructure includes 13,250 server blades, 75,000 CPU cores, and 112.5 terabytes of blade RAM.
- The Blizzard network is managed by a staff of 68 people.
- The company’s gaming infrastructure is monitored from a global network operating center (GNOC), which like many NOCs, features televisions tuned to the weather stations to track potential uptime threats across its data center footprint.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/11/25/wows-back-end-10-data-centers-75000-cores/

You may like to go through the further articles to ascertain the actual costings per realm for hardware not including colo, network, staff, bandwidth, lease or any other costs that might be involved. Or did you think that something like my 5k desktop machine could serve a realm of simultaneous connections via my Cable connection? >.>

I think you're really missing the point here, NO, not everyone who plays MMO's know's or needs to know how data center's work, but lets be honest, running the 10 data centers they do, you really think one more is going to tip the "cash cow" ship over, and have Activision?Blizzard, have to close its door's? no i don't think so!

In 2004 it was a bit different, to now, Australia was behind to an extent when it came to IT, and yes in some ways we are still behind, but on many others, we exceeded, the fact that other MMO's, regardless of their size, can set up data centers here, is a real smack in the face for Australian's who have played this game since day one, or just starting to play now.

Yes it can be expensive to set up data centers any where in the world, but being now it's 2012, things have most certainly changed since 2004, when it comes to Australia and technology, and lets be honest here, one of the data centers being located in Taiwan, with a population of 23 million, 1 million more than Australia, whats the difference? Not a real lot, the cost would be roughly the same!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Firstly, I wouldn't CoLo with Internode even if they paid me - so Kudos to Blizzard for rejecting that reject offer and secondly, you all still don't get it. Why throw money away at a problem that doesn't exist?

They are a publicly listed company. They have shareholders. They have returns to guarantee and R&D to pay for. Moreover, they want to make money. It's the job of a company to make money. Not to be altruistic to whingers from across the Pacific. If you cannot understand the economic reasoning's why there is simply nothing compelling Blizzard to do anything about this....

Again, my point stands. 10 pages of innumerable threads in the Oceanic forums and not a single Blue. THIS is why Oceanic doesn't get nice things....
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
LOL. These threads just keep getting better and better.

/popcorn
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]