Paladin Tanking

90 Dwarf Paladin
I'm not an expert. I just do what other people have written and try to do it well.

And what I've read is that haste is one of our best stats now. We also want hit and expertise caps. All the way capped, like 7.5% and 15% respectively capped. We want as much up time on Shield of the Righteous as possible and the way to get that is through haste. Haste allows us to use Crusader Strike, Judgement, Avenger's Shield, Holy Wrath, Consecration, Hammer of the Righteous more often and that means more damage and more holy power.

We also want to be using Seal of Insight. Since we've lost the Seal of Truth glyph that gave us so much experitise, and the new way in which vengenance scales, Seal of Insight is an important part of our mitigation. It heals for ridiculious amounts, not to mention that when combined with the Battle Healer glyph, we put out a significant amount of off-healing. The glyph essentionally turns the damage we deal to a target into heals for the raid.

You also want to use the T6 abilities as often and effectively as possible. When actively tanking a raid boss, they heal for and deal alot of damage. They will help healers keep the raid up, as well as save lives in a pinch.

Also you should the Holy Wrath glyph so you can stun elementals during the Elegon encounter.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm not an expert. I just do what other people have written and try to do it well.

And what I've read is that haste is one of our best stats now. We also want hit and expertise caps. All the way capped, like 7.5% and 15% respectively capped.

7.5% for both, boss.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
i didn't even consider getting your attacks parried. i stand corrected.

edit:

it's crazy that the value of expertise is still higher when it's only removing parries than mastery or avoidance.
Edited by Mahourai on 11/5/2012 1:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
don't unbind your backup key basically.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
you can just use the same key for both, that way when you're saluting Qin-xi we know you're backing up to the stackpoint.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
walk backwards if you need to move the boss while he's hitting you or use a speedboost to get away from him quickly without keyboard turning. seems fine.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
With MoP came alot of changes to many classes. Paladins have changed alot since Cata and now their stat priority is based more on self healing rather then avoidence. It used to be we used Mastery as our main stat because mastery was essentialy block. Dodge came next as our lowest and hardest to increase stat, and then there was parry which was our least importaint stat. Seeing as strength increased our parry and well we used strength we had to make sure our gear was always in check.

Now with the changes in MoP you can go one of two ways; Haste which if you scroll up Cbredbeard had just explained, and Mastery. Now haste builds are still very effective I personaly went a diffrent way, I used mastery as my base stat. With the new use of vengence our DPS as tanks has increased considerably, and Using haste is a good way of keeping a fast pased DPS rotation going, BUT with using that as a base stat we lose alot of the most importaint thinngs that made pally tanking the way it is. Now with less use of Mastery your block is decreased and where you have more up time on Shield of the righteous the % of physical damage it reduces is decreased.

If one was to only use haste the ability would only decrease 20-25% for 3 seconds and with the decrease on ability CD's you can have a 20-25% up almost at all times. With the right rotation a pally can regenerate 3 holy power within 5 seconds of depletion of his last set and the +2 spots for our holy power gives us more storage of it per-say.

Don't get me wrong the use of haste is incredably useful and should be considerd by all pallys with intrest in tanking they can not forget that they are a tank and reducing damage is a top priority. Dodge is basicly useless to us and Parry is not far off, But Mastery has benafited alot from the changes in MoP. With a mastery build you gain 3 importaint things: It increases the amount youre shield of the righteous by 20%- Increases the effectivness of Bastion of Glory by 20% (Bastion of Glory:Increases the effectivness of your Word of Glory when used to heal yourself by 10% stacks up to 5 times.)- and finaly increases the chance to block melee attacks by 20%. This all is an addition to the amount that you originaly have.

TIPS
- If you Macro Holy Avenger and say the trash trinket from MSV you can can have up to 100% for the durration of the Trinket.
- Self heals from Seal of insight with the Battle healer glyph like CB said out put damage into raid heals, and with vengence you can be healing for almost the same amount as healers.
- Sacred Shield scales with your vengence which you can take advantage of with spiked damage.
- Hand of Purity decreases Damage Over Time effects by 70%.
- Holy Prisim can be used as a Burst + AoE heal or a Heal + AoE damage, strength increases the damage and heals it does.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
I have never tanked, mainly because i do not have back up movement keys.

My question is, do all tanks keyboard turn?

If not, do you never back up?
on my tanks i use my mouse to turn and the "S" key to back up. not sure if that's what most tanks do, but it works smoothly for me.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I use Divine Purpose. It makes tanking more exciting and I think Holy Avenger isn't very good for what it does.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
It is good to be a paladin.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I disagree, holy avenger is a excellent dps/mitigation cool down simply because you can guarantee Shield of the righteous uptime due to it being stackable. And with a 2 min cool down it fits in nicely with use on pull with AWrath and in between GKings and ADefender.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]