Are we "leaders" anymore

90 Human Warrior
Do you consider tanks to be leaders anymore, or do you think and role in a group has the ability to lead?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Entirely depends on the person. I still am even in fights I am learning.

It is easier for a tank to control the flow/speed of a instance though.

I have definitely noticed on my other characters (aka non-tanks) less people stepping up. I usually end up pointing out directions or what bosses will do if people seem lost though.

Any role in the group can lead, its just been the tank since LFD/LFR was introduced imo... although I remember in vanilla quite a few Ranged/Heals were the leads. Times change though.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
99 times out of 100, the rest of the party is waiting for the tank to take charge and lead.

Every now and then, I've run into a person who really knew what they were doing, and I was happy to hand the reins over to them. They knew the mobs to mark and how to pull, the ones to skip, the boss strats, the path to follow, and they were polite and communicative. Why would I fight with that? Much easier to go with the flow.

On occassion as well, I've "lead from the back". Normally it's when I'm playing a healer, and the tank quite obviously has no idea what's going on. I'll mark a skull every time we hit a trash pack, and explain boss mechanics.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
"Every now and then, I've run into a person who really knew what they were doing, and I was happy to hand the reins over to them. They knew the mobs to mark and how to pull, the ones to skip, the boss strats, the path to follow, and they were polite and communicative. Why would I fight with that? Much easier to go with the flow."

Usually that's a tank who is gearing up his alt.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
I just kinda run in and pull stuff, and if I die, well, oops!

Even undergeared, heroics were not nearly as hard as they were in opening of cata.

Or maybe the general skill level has increased. Most healers really know their stuff and dps don't stand in bad things.

There haven't been a pull that required cc.

Challenge dungeons are another thing but if you're doing one, I hope you have some sort of coordination and plan before you even begin.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
i usually take the lead, and since i have bindings for each of the markings it isn't much of an effort on my part.

also, as an experienced tank, and i am used to taking time and learning fights before engaging.

i seem to be one of the few people who actually read the dungeon journal. w/e
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
For 5 mans yes, because if I take the lead I'm still forced to wait for the tank to put things into action, and my plan hinges on what he can do. It's far easier to just let the tank call the shots.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
11/07/2012 04:13 AMPosted by Tigergrunt
Do you consider tanks to be leaders anymore, or do you think and role in a group has the ability to lead?

I think of us as more short-term care professionals for people with intellectual challenges.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
11/07/2012 02:02 PMPosted by Serinicas
For 5 mans yes, because if I take the lead I'm still forced to wait for the tank to put things into action, and my plan hinges on what he can do. It's far easier to just let the tank call the shots.

just "accidentally" tab to the stuff he should have pulled.

Works wonders on my warlock.

or for skippable trash, just skip the trash, and eventually they catch on.
Edited by Ðemolition on 11/7/2012 11:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
For the most part I find the leader of the party to either be the healer or myself. I have my suspicions I'm running with another tank when the healer starts marking mobs, though.

99 times out of 100, the rest of the party is waiting for the tank to take charge and lead.

I find in my experience, it's more like 4 times out of 5 the mage or huntard are running in and pulling everything.

11/07/2012 10:47 PMPosted by Syrrix

I think of us as more short-term care professionals for people with intellectual challenges.

I had a good chuckle at that one.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I "lead" when tanking heroics, but in raid tanking, I leave that up to the RL.Saves me the trouble. I can drink while they're hashing out who does what, and wait for them to say "OK Kerr, pull when ready."
Reply Quote
We lead by default, and always will, since everyone waits around for us to pull, since they will go splat if they don't and they know it. But that doesn't make us a qualified General by any means. We are new to an instance the exact same proportion of time as anyone else.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
In raids I prefer to just be there to do the count down and point out what people are doing wrong since I usually have a pretty good view of what the others are doing.

LFD tanks are default "leaders" by the fact your first in to pull after pull so they will be waiting on you anyways.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue
I find that most of the content that this would be relevant in is so trivial that the concept of a leader sort of falls flat. Everyone just sort of runs around and kills things, except the healer.

Though in general if there is a need for one, it tends to be the tank. It is the role best equipped to direct flow..
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
50% tank, 30% of the time it's one of the DPS, about a 5th of the time it's a healer.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Overall, yes if you're going to tank then you have to accept the responsibility that you will most likely be the leader of the group. You're *supposed* to pull, position mobs, keep aggro, and assign kill order. Sometimes someone else will do it for you, but I'm almost always the leader.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
11/07/2012 11:27 PMPosted by Ðemolition
just "accidentally" tab to the stuff he should have pulled.

Yeah, but then they start throwing tantrums, and it's just not worth the hassle. I'd rather just tab out and be productive.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Usually range dps make the best leaders. They have less to focus on, and more time to avoid most mechanics in most cases. Thus tend to make less in game mistakes while leading a group.

This is especially true when they are the sort of leader who calls things out for the raid. Talking in voice chat tends to lower reaction times as much as alcohol while driving.

Anyone good at communication and multi tasking can fulfil the role, though.
Edited by Matayas on 11/12/2012 10:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Tanks and Healers are the leaders of the group, and they must be on the same page.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
^^^^^^^

pretty much this, good communication between the tanks and healers is vital for a raid to succeed, it's when you have that one dps who never shuts up that is the problem, lol.

Personally, I find it easier to partially lead a raid over vent as a tank compared to when I used to play my warlock, timing cd's and staring at a bosses crotch leaves me time to keep communication strong.
Edited by Salloreon on 11/12/2012 12:19 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]