Which Tank has a Low Learning Curve?

So ive decided to give tanking a whirl, I have never tanked before....ever, so im looking for which class (opinions of course) would be the best at entry level just to get a feel for it, see if its something I could enjoy.

Thanks in advance for any replies :D
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
If you are leveling one from scratch I would avoid druids. They learn their abilities in a weird order and are not fun to tank with for a significant portion of the leveling process.

I haven't seriously played my monk but the consensus seems to be that they are a bit more complicated than other tanks.

If you are familiar with the rune system DK's are not bad and you get the added bonus of starting at 55 (if you start a new one). If you are not familiar with the rune system it is a lot to learn at once.

That leaves warrior and paladin. Personally I would recommend a paladin. Their resource mechanic is relatively simply (mana and holy power), their active mitigation is easy to use and they have lots of good cooldowns to help them survive.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warrior
I've leveled a warrior, pally, and Druid; all tanks.

IMO paladin tanks are probably the best entry tanks. Aoe is pretty straight forward with a 360 ability at can be used regularly, avengers shield grabbing 3 mobs right away, consecration, etc.
Tons of cool downs, self healing, and their active mitigation is tied into a main threat damaging ability.

Tbh all the tanks are easy to understand if you take the time to read the abilities. Even monks, especially early on with range aoe ability that can be spammed.

The learning curve really lies in the tanking role itself. Staying ahead, positioning, grabbing and holding mobs, and knowing how to use cool downs appropriately.

Good luck
Reply Quote
Hey thanks guys I appreciate it, gives me some good starting information! gonna give each one of them a try on my main downtime and see what happens :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Good luck, I believe that the best tank is an aware tank.
Know your surroundings (fire, close range mobs, LOS - caster mob and for your healer)

Pick up adds as they join you battle, don't (try not to) turn your back to mobs, try to face mobs/bosses away from your party.

Have a thick skin, tanks are usually the first one blamed if anything goes wrong - you're squishy, hold aggro, you're going too slow, you're going too fast, wait for mana, bla bla bla...
Reply Quote
So I wanted to say thanks again for your guys' replies, I decided to try Druid first since I already had one at a bit higher, im definitely having a good time with it, but all in all I decided to level them all to 90 and see which one I like the best, I figure that way, I cant go wrong =D
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
Monks do have the highest learning curve. so much priority.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
DKs are really easy to learn to be ok

Mastering them takes a while, as it requires some patience over spamming, and you need to choose between damage and survivability by not pushing your buttons as fast as possible.

Druids not much more difficult, and you always have the option of going 3 other specs if you don't enjoy tanking.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Death Stri- KNIGHTS, I mean.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I vote paladins, they have a low learning curve and plenty of oh-sh..! buttons in case you mess up.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
DK.

Active mitigation is easy to use (it's one button).
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
No tank is easy/ all tanks are easy. They just have different play styles that appeal to different people. I love the bear, hate the pally and kinda like the DK. Never rolled a warrior or a monk but warriors look like fun.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Paladin: Tanking with training wheels.

DK is pretty easy too. Then again, so is bear.
Wait, what are we talking about again?
Edited by Zionic on 11/19/2012 2:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I've always felt warrior tanking has an easy learning curve. I might be biased since I've been playing warrior tanks since just after beta, but they're not too bad. It's even easier now that they don't have to leave defensive stance for anything.

I'm itching to level up a monk and try monk tanking. It looks fun.
Edited by Moònbiter on 11/19/2012 3:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
70 Tauren Warrior
Paladin: Tanking with training wheels.

DK is pretty easy too. Then again, so is bear.
Wait, what are we talking about again?

Which tank is difficult. Answer: none.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
11/18/2012 06:17 AMPosted by Gazonk
I vote paladins, they have a low learning curve

Have you read the paladin forums recently?
Considering how poorly it seems many of them are doing this doesn't seem very true at all>.>

From a personal standpoint, yeah it was pretty simple and prot is very fun, the same could be said about blood.

I have 3 90s, 2 of them paladins...
Edited by Thaedras on 11/19/2012 10:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
Played them all, except monk but im workin on it. Honestly paladin will always be the answer I feel. Not sure why people say DK, any idiot can spam DS but if you want to use it correctly it requires precise timing... I mean being a tank requires taking as least amount of dmg as possible while holding aggro. !@#$ druids, I hate tanking with druids... and warriors used to be a lot more fun imo.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
BnR
Paladin ---> Death Knight -> Druid -------> Warrior ---------------------------> Monk

Paladin or Death Knight would be your best choice. Druid gives you the best options as you can DPS (caster or melee), Heal and of course Tank.
Reply Quote
Paladin or Death Knight would be your best choice. Druid gives you the best options as you can DPS (caster or melee), Heal and of course Tank.

This.

A a classically indecisive player. If you Decide to go tank on your druid, you can have your off spec be feral and not lug around as much gear because agi is your prime stat for both specs.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
Paladins are pretty easy to play but have a larger learning curve with all of the self heals. I believe Warriors would be easy, but I haven't gotten one above 40 ever.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]