New update for Mid-2012 (June) MBA/MBPs

- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Apple has released a new update for all Macbook (Macbook Air and Macbook Pro, and probably the Retina Macbook Pro as well even though the article fails to mention it) models introduced in June 2012. This update improves stability and performance of the graphics system and USB devices, and is recommended for anybody using those systems.

The OS required is listed as 10.7.4, but that almost assuredly is supposed to be "10.7.4 or later". It seems whoever at Apple typed up this article didn't do their homework or even proofread it.

The update can be found here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1609?

Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
looks like apple is finally extracting head from you know where and releasing those updated drivers for you guys that they have had since 10.8.1 was first shipped (nvidia released these very drivers the DAY 10.8.1 came out for the cards they are allowed to. they excluded the 650M from the web driver and left it in apples court. apple took months to deliver).

note, this will NOT fix the sleep bug. just provide less crappy nvidia drivers so these MBP's get better fps. The nvidia version goes from 295 to 304 for kepler (600 series) cards.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I can definitely vouch for the improved FPS in the Retina display MacBook Pro. Graphics were always smooth in LFR, but now there is no more 2fps dip.

Smooth as butter. Updated it without thinking that this update would've touched my NVIDIA drivers - had to come to the forum to confirm
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
apple updated article it DOES require 10.8.2 or higher. 10.7.5 users will NOT benefit from update and be left behind as typical apple practice.

i think these shipped with 10.8 though didn't they? or were they 10.7.5 with a free upgrade to 10.8 if user elected? never the less, if you have a retina and don't want it to run like crap, you need 10.8.2 and this update
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Mine shipped with 10.7.x. I don't remember the exact version, but it was just a free upgrade to 10.8 if desired.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
11/09/2012 06:04 PMPosted by Omegal
never the less, if you have a retina and don't want it to run like crap, you need 10.8.2 and this update

Might want to change that to "if you have a 15" Retina MBP", since the 13" version does not have a discrete GPU, and comes with a max 8 GB RAM (you can't CTO any more than that).

;)

Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
11/10/2012 12:46 AMPosted by Tiapriestess
Might want to change that to "if you have a 15" Retina MBP", since the 13" version does not have a discrete GPU, and comes with a max 8 GB RAM (you can't CTO any more than that).

no, it's fine as is. apple is not updating ANY drivers for 10.7.5 anymore. THey also did update the ati drivers and intel drivers in this update too. Just not as significantly as the nvidia ones. There are actually reports apple boosted the shared memory on the intel 4000 series up to 512 in the new drivers, reducing stutter and increasing performance via more memory allocated solely to the video card. Of course the same update also LOWERED shared memory or video card in machines configured with low memory to give the system and applications more memory instead so they actually took a gaming hit in some situations, easily corrected by adding more ram though (i guess not an easy task with a retina, one of major reasons you'd never catch me with one).
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
As of Nov 17th, apple has pulled this update pending investigation of some rare problems reported by people. They will probably reissue a new one. If i had to guess, possibly the rare freeze bug in the 304 nvidia drivers.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
And it has been re-released

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1611
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]