Windwalker Monk. Fist Weapon x2 vs. Staff.

70 Goblin Death Knight
I've got some mixed responses when asking about this ingame so I thought I should post a thread here asking as well. What is better for a WW Monk? I see a lot of level 80+ Monks using 2 Fist weapons instead of a Staff but under 80 it's the opposite. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Crosschex
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I love my polearm. I got if from arch surveys. I probably wont get anything better until I start heroics. Awesome thing was I got it on my druid, then sent it to my monk when he hit 85. I murdered mobs all the way up to 90.

I want the heroic fist weapons now.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
I've got some mixed responses when asking about this ingame so I thought I should post a thread here asking as well. What is better for a WW Monk? I see a lot of level 80+ Monks using 2 Fist weapons instead of a Staff but under 80 it's the opposite. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Crosschex

The ONLY reason I would assume any Monk lower level (Not 90) would be using a 2h is because of the lack of hit with DW vs 2H. Other then that at 90 you should be DW until they balance the damage and bring 2h up to par with DW.
Edited by Monkology on 11/12/2012 12:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The EJ verdict is that you'll almost invariably be better off with whichever is your highest itemlevel weapon set, but if you have a 2-hander and a pair of 1-handers of the same itemlevel, the 1-handers will perform better for maximum DPS output (by between 2% and 5% depending on gear level and stat allocation).

Note, however, that this is for max level. Under 90, the likelihood of having a pair of 1-handers and a 2-hander of the same itemlevel is almost zero anyway, so just use your best weapon.

For the heirlooms, since you don't get the double-enchant benefit, the staff is technically slightly better than the maces (it's also cheaper than a pair of maces).
Edited by Daerien on 11/12/2012 12:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
I did a fair amount of testing with this and I can safely say that DW is a fair amount ahead. I was testing 2 ilvl 463 one handers, v.s an ilvl 476 two hander. DW was ahead by a good 5 - 10k dps everytime. All my gear was reforged appropriately for each test as well.

The big difference came from the amount of Tiger Strikes procs as well as the uptime on the Windsong enchant procs. With dual Dancing Steel I imagine the difference would be even greater.

When I used simcraft with the two different setups it showed that the 2H should be ahead, however I just could not get this to translate practicaly in game in any situation.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
the dps is about the same i have raided with a 376/370 MH/OH and am currently using a 376 2hand dps is comparable and about the same sometimes better sometimes worse but that's just RNG at work get whichever one like more or has higher ilvl.

DW is ahead by a bit but that's because of enchant procs no other reason which amounts to about 3 to 5% i would guess. i still top meters on some fights and not on others.
Edited by Ceruleanfist on 11/12/2012 8:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Having a different proc enchant on the 1H's do work together.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
AP Effects 2h by 100%
AP Effects MH by 100%
AP Effects OH by 50%

Using the above, AP scales with 1h at 150% and 2h by 100%. Which number seems better to you?
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
AP Effects 2h by 100%
AP Effects MH by 100%
AP Effects OH by 50%

Using the above, AP scales with 1h at 150% and 2h by 100%. Which number seems better to you?

If AP was the only number involved, this might make sense, but it's not. The stats on a 2h of the same ilevel are greater than a pair of 1hs. Also, if you're wielding a pair of ilevel Xs and a >X 2h drops, your entire pair is wasted. For example, a 476 2h is better than a 476 1h and a 463 1h wielded at the same time. Making 2hs easier to upgrade and maintain. There's also the consideration of paying 15k for 1 dancing steel or 30k for a pair of them.

@OP: The 2h vs DW topic is brought up numerous times every day and you're going to get split reactions everywhere you go. The main reason being that monks have an ability that's supposed to normalize the two approaches. That's why I always default to ye old 1 weapon is easier to upgrade and maintain than DW. That's more true of leveling, but even at level cap, all it takes is a new patch/tier and you're back into having to upgrade 2 weapons instead of 1.
Reply Quote
46 Blood Elf Hunter
ok, I have a brewmaster monk & what im wondering is, which does more damage, a staff or 2 fist weapons/2 maces/ 2 etc. if the dps of a staff is 12.61 & say 2 fist weapons dps is 12.61, do you add the damage together from each fist weapon, because theres 2, making the damage 25.22? or is the damage just 12.61? confuseddd lol
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]