Are addons like healbot mandatory?

90 Night Elf Priest
So I'm leveling this priest for the sole purpose of healing end game, which is a first for me, as I've only ever done DPS and Tank.

Are addons such as healbot absolutely required for raid healing efficiently or can it be done without? So far I've been healing without any addons, although its just instances and I know those are mind-numbingly easy. I just like to play the game with as few addons as possible.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
No they are not. No add on is really mandatory. :P

The raid frames blizzard added really are awesome, and they never need to be upgraded at patch time. They will do you fine for healing in dungeons and in raids.

I used to be a UI addon fiend with an entirely reworked interface but I'm much more low key about it now. The most important addons I run are WeakAuras and DBM.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I feel the only real 'need' for addons is for aesthetics. Ie: Bartender for buttons, shadowed unit frames for UI, maybe a few others. I've never enjoyed healbot/clique.

I do use mouseover macros as they make healing easier.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Not mandatory, no. They just make it easier and faster. It's perfectly viable to not use them and go totally classic. You might want to consider mouseover macros though, for efficiency. Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
They're still extremely helpful, and something you may want to look into. (Even if it's just something like clique, or just learning to mouseover macro, which isn't really an addon, but yea)

But I wouldn't call them mandatory for the most part anymore. (But, in saying that, I'm not really active in raiding anymore, so there could be some info they're still omitting)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
No. But they help.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I use grid for healing.
And I thought about using the standard unit frames as well, they're not bad. (through I would have to move them)
Its up to you what you feel is needed, remember add-ons are primary here to either make stuff easier or let you customize stuff, nothing is needed.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I've never felt the need for healbot or vuhdo. As an added bonus, patch days don't affect my healing. =D
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Absolutely not mandatory.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
My advice to you is to see if you can get used to using the Blizzard frames.

If Healbot ever loses support, I'm sunk. Much of my healing play style has developed around this officially unsupported addon. Healbot is fantastic, but I always worry about relying on it so much.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Becoming addon dependent is something I don't want. I use a Razer Naga and mouseover macros along with the regular raid frames from the Blizzard UI. Awesome combination. Before that, I used VuhDu or however you spell that thing... it was pretty nice.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I liked the Blizzard frames until I found out they bugged like mad and I couldn't do custom things with them. So, vuhdo ftw. And you don't NEED add ons but if you want to see the same info but in a better format, absolutely get some.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
They give you, bonuses, such as not needing to click on someones frame and then click your healing ability, its not mandatory if you know exactly what you are doing but if you wanna improve your healing at end game raids, i would recommend them.

My favorite is VuhDo, apparently it's pretty similar to healbot but im gonna stick with it anyways
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I haven't used default in years, but going from default to Grid, and then onto VuhDo, made healing much easier for me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
No, addons are not mandatory, but you really do need to do something.

Saying you do not need an addon is not the same as saying that selecting characters and click casting works just fine. It does not.

Try Vuhdo out of the box. Any method you choose should be at least that efficient. As a DPS you may feel more comfortable with the mouse over style.

I use Vuhdo.

Good Luck.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
As everyone else has said, no not mandatory...but I personally use Vuhdo.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Define mandatory?

Required by your raid? Maybe, depends on the raid.
Required by you for some aesthetic value? Hardly essential, however very useful for some.
Required by you for some Functional value? Depends on said functionality, but most addons are very adaptable with this, while the default frames are not.
Required by you because of some disability? If, like me, you cannot use keybinds, mouseover macros become near impossible to use without special equipment.

If, like me, you have a disability, click to cast addons are mandatory, and using Healbot(my choice) simply adds on more functionality that is icing on the cake.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Not mandatory at all.

but.. I wouldn't recommend you to use targeted casting (as in click a person to target them and then click again to cast your spell), though you can probably still get by now.

With proper keybinds and (IMO) mouseovers which you can do with no addons, you won't need anything really. I am actually presently surprised now how updated the raid frames have gotten (well, I guess I mean the one "big" update that occurred in the cata transition patch) and so I stopped using raid frame addons personally.

Pre-cata I don't know how anyone could live with the old raid frames though (where you dragged out each group)... but it was possible.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]