Are addons like healbot mandatory?

90 Human Priest
Comon guys, you all know that a mod like healbot or clique with game raid frames + a gaming mouse can not be beat by click target ,hit button healing in an situation. It quickens responce time and overall preforms better. Is it mandatory? Ok no its not, as long as you dont mind never keeping pace with other raiding healers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
For my holy priest I like to not use an addon, because I find it more accessible with all my aoes to generally just target the tank most of the fight and cast, But my resto druid, that's another story. For my restoration druid I use VuhDo because of my hots.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you don't want to use addons, I would at least invest in writing up some mouseover macros. It's how I healed in MMO's that don't offer mod support.

Yes, with enough playtime you can be practiced enough to heal effectively by manually clicking a target and healing, but it's less actions (and more efficient) to just immediately be able to heal a target without having to target them.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
IMO the only thing that is absolutely mandatory if you want to be any good at healing is mouse over capability.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I use Blizzard raid frames with mouse over macros. No addon required.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Lux
You don't need one, particularly not with mouseover macros.

That being said, while I'm sure I could heal perfectly well without it, I really like having Vuhdo around. Like any addon, it's a matter of convenience rather than necessity...and seeing all of my healing status right there in that one little area of the screen, including all of my HoT durations, debuffs on the raid, and who can be swiftmended, is convenient.

I don't use any of the Clique-type functionality. I use mouseover macros and a Logitech G13. I use it entirely for the information it provides quickly, easily, and compactly.
Edited by Barandis on 11/13/2012 1:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Healing addons(like Vuhdo, Grid +Clique, Vuhdo and Healbot) by themselves will never make you a better healer. They cannot teach you how to play your class as a healer. They cannot decide for you what spell is best for what situation, or help you remember all your spells if you don't know what they already are, what each of them does, how much they heal for and for what mana cost.

They do organize information and save you time. Most people would agree that clicking one button instead of two buttons is faster. In crucial boss fight a second can sometimes mean the difference between a wipe and a boss down and that's where healers with fast reaction time shine.

Regardless of what method used, eventually addons/macros get the healer, who knows their class inside and out, fast enough to the point where they are using muscle memory. It becomes second nature: the way one types or plays an instrument after years of practice. The same way a court reporter won't check their keyboard every time they type a letter, or a pianist won't stop in the middle of a measure to find the right chord, you end up knowing what combination to use at a given situation without hesitation.

Now there are purists out there who swear that they are excellent healers without macros or addons. That's great for them. Ultimately, it all boils down to what works for the individual healer.

Anyway, I digress. Healing addons/macros aren't mandatory if you just want to raid. But if you want to be competitive, they can help.
Edited by Erhedel on 11/13/2012 1:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
I secretly turn off dbm when i raid sometimes. And i like it. Nothing is mandatory but taxes and death.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Like everyone else has said... they are not mandatory but IMO the addon I use looks way cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing than the Blizzard raid frames.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Agreed, but it makes ur life sooo much easier...i use healium and couldn't go back to healing raids without it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
without repeating everything on the past 2 pages...add-ons are not required.

Personally I have tried a few different set-ups for healing 10/25 man raids. None were bad...it all falls to preference.

Healbot is my poison of choice due to ease of use and set-up between the 5 healing classes.
The interface is mostly shift/alt/ctrl mouse-clicks; so movement is all keyboard...which can be arkward.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
You can heal any level of content using any form of addon or healing setup.

I personally use the default raid frames and no macros for my heals, all of it is click-to-target and keybinds. If you're more comfortable with it its absolutely not a handicap.
Reply Quote
I go back and forth but I have settled on vuhdo with mouse over macros and genosis and a couple of other handy addons. You do not need them at all but they can make your quality of life in game a bit better when it comes to healing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Not mandatory at all.

but.. I wouldn't recommend you to use targeted casting (as in click a person to target them and then click again to cast your spell), though you can probably still get by now.

With proper keybinds and (IMO) mouseovers which you can do with no addons, you won't need anything really. I am actually presently surprised now how updated the raid frames have gotten (well, I guess I mean the one "big" update that occurred in the cata transition patch) and so I stopped using raid frame addons personally.

Pre-cata I don't know how anyone could live with the old raid frames though (where you dragged out each group)... but it was possible.

If I could un-learn years of healing with click-target/keybind-cast. As it is, I'm a far worse healer using addons I never can quite get comfortable with. Under stress (after months of using addons/mouseovers) I'll still find myself clicking to target and end up casting the wrong thing, bewildered.

It's really sad, but it is what it is. I'm kinda glad because the debuff/buff timers on Blizz raid frames are better than any addon I've used in 6 years.
Reply Quote
Nope, not mandatory. While I like my healbot I do think it's important for a healer that does group content frequently to learn to use mouseovers in the event that their healer-helper of choice bites the dust, especially right after an expansion or patch.

I'm sure you know how to do this, but in case someone who doesn't is strolling through the thread.. :)

/cast [@mouseover] SpellName
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
11/13/2012 11:54 AMPosted by Morce
As everyone else has said, no not mandatory...but I personally use Vuhdo.

Same here...

Could I heal without it? Sure... would I be as efficient? Not by a long shot. I have every spell bound to a click with my 6 button mouse and I simply mouseover the healthbar and click for the spell... modifiers are SHIFT and ALT and it's all I need to cast every spell I need to.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/17/2012 07:04 PMPosted by Tihra
As everyone else has said, no not mandatory...but I personally use Vuhdo.

Same here...

Could I heal without it? Sure... would I be as efficient? Not by a long shot. I have every spell bound to a click with my 6 button mouse and I simply mouseover the healthbar and click for the spell... modifiers are SHIFT and ALT and it's all I need to cast every spell I need to.

I feel Quite the same, It is easily done with the blizzard frames but the amount of buttons you need to keybind with just those frames are insane, not really streamlined enough for me, i dont have 100 button mouse o.O I use healbot, and i mainly use it as another layer of frames so i can keybind a buncha things to the same buttons and mouse over what/when i need. So i basicly have 2 sets of frames keybound with all my healing spells, then no clicking on a frame at all keybound to all defensive cds and non healing spells mana cd's dps/w/e. it works for me i think its the best way to go it takes some learning thought and god forbid you change a keybind after u learn everything.

My 2 cents <3
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Sure you can heal without them.....but you can also keyboard turn in arena. Sure you will win some, but you will never be the best keyboard turning just like you will never be your best without these healing addons. Even if it is as simple as not having to target people before healing, it makes a difference.

Some questions for those who do not use healing addons (I have never healed this way and I am curious).
-Does the blizzard UI display who has HoTs on them and remaining duration?
-Does is display specific debuffs and durations?
-Does it turn the frames different colors depending on dispellable debuffs?
-Does it show incoming healing from other healers?
-Does it show (in separate areas of the frame) the size of things like spirit shell, divine aegis, and power word shield (all at the same time)?
-Does it show the current location of Prayer of Mending with stack size and time remaining?
-Does it show the stack size of healing buffs like Grace and the time remaining?
-Does it show you the percentage the player is about to be at after you finish your current healing spell? (Also shows the percentage added from other healers aka incoming heals from above)

These are just for a disc priest. If you can answer yes to all of these when not using healing addons, you will not see much of a difference between addons and no addons. If you answer no to even one of these you are at a disadvantage as a healer, and someone who is using the addons will overwhelm you in effectiveness.
Edited by Semirhaj on 11/18/2012 10:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
-Does the blizzard UI display who has HoTs on them and remaining duration?
Yes. It is limited to what Blizzard setup, so for instance, you can't see Echo of Light, but it shows renew and time left on frames.
-Does is display specific debuffs and durations?
Yes. It shows the icon, duration as cooldown pie, and type. Raid debuffs are also shown.
-Does it turn the frames different colors depending on dispellable debuffs?
No. It puts an icon in the Top left corner of the frame showing the type.
-Does it show incoming healing from other healers?
Yes
-Does it show (in separate areas of the frame) the size of things like spirit shell, divine aegis, and power word shield (all at the same time)?
No. (the only addon i've used that does this in a way I like is Grid2)
-Does it show the current location of Prayer of Mending with stack size and time remaining?
Yes.
-Does it show the stack size of healing buffs like Grace and the time remaining?
Yes/No. Depends on the class. Last I used it, it did not show Grace. It does show Earthshield stacks.
-Does it show you the percentage the player is about to be at after you finish your current healing spell?
Not as a text field, no. (you can see the bar with inc heals, however, and display current hp as a %)

The blizzard frames will get you most of the way for most of the content. Raid frame addons obviously allow you to personalize what information is presented, and how. Additionally, they provide features like AoE advice and shield information.

Speaking of which, does Vuhdo now have shields as a proper status instead of the silly 4 piece circle?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
What I know from how my default UI is setup, the only ones I'm missing are different colors for dispellable debuffs, the size of absorbs (though you can mouseover, its tedious) and I'm not sure on Grace as I haven't bothered to check.

Either way- I've yet to have anyone "overwhelm" me in effectiveness. Or even come close, really. Probably because of those three things only two are useful, and they're honestly not that big a deal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]