Are addons like healbot mandatory?

90 Undead Priest
-Does the blizzard UI display who has HoTs on them and remaining duration?
Yes. It is limited to what Blizzard setup, so for instance, you can't see Echo of Light, but it shows renew and time left on frames.
-Does is display specific debuffs and durations?
Yes. It shows the icon, duration as cooldown pie, and type. Raid debuffs are also shown.
-Does it turn the frames different colors depending on dispellable debuffs?
No. It puts an icon in the Top left corner of the frame showing the type.
-Does it show incoming healing from other healers?
Yes
-Does it show (in separate areas of the frame) the size of things like spirit shell, divine aegis, and power word shield (all at the same time)?
No. (the only addon i've used that does this in a way I like is Grid2)
-Does it show the current location of Prayer of Mending with stack size and time remaining?
Yes.
-Does it show the stack size of healing buffs like Grace and the time remaining?
Yes/No. Depends on the class. Last I used it, it did not show Grace. It does show Earthshield stacks.
-Does it show you the percentage the player is about to be at after you finish your current healing spell?
Not as a text field, no. (you can see the bar with inc heals, however, and display current hp as a %)

The blizzard frames will get you most of the way for most of the content. Raid frame addons obviously allow you to personalize what information is presented, and how. Additionally, they provide features like AoE advice and shield information.

Speaking of which, does Vuhdo now have shields as a proper status instead of the silly 4 piece circle?

Thank you for this. The standard frames have come a long way then if not all the way there. And no it is still the 4 piece circle.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Hey guizs, can i do good dps by clicking the spell buttons?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
What I know from how my default UI is setup, the only ones I'm missing are different colors for dispellable debuffs, the size of absorbs (though you can mouseover, its tedious) and I'm not sure on Grace as I haven't bothered to check.

Either way- I've yet to have anyone "overwhelm" me in effectiveness. Or even come close, really. Probably because of those three things only two are useful, and they're honestly not that big a deal.

The standard UI does do a lot of what it needs to, but if you have no way to monitor the shield being put onto the raid you are at a serious disadvantage as a disc priest at least. For a class like holy priest, I could see the natural frames being just as good as healing addons if you use mouse over macros. However like I said, for a special case like disc priest, someone who has a method to monitor the various shields is going to be more effective than someone of equal skill who is blindly putting up shields.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
There's not a whole lot of need to monitor shields. Seriously, especially in a 10 man, you're either blanketing the raid in shields (in which case its not rocket science to figure out how much damage they'll absorb) or putting tons of shielding on your tank (in which case you're going to cap at 2 G Heals anyway).

Knowing that I've got a ~220k Spirit Shell on every person in the raid except maybe the main tank is nice to know, but not really useful information. Its not going to influence how I'm playing. Honestly, you're taking information you want to know, that's useful in a few one-in-a-million edge cases where your shields are partially worn down but a massive hit is coming you need them up for and somehow you still have the ability to shore them up.

Personally the only time I can imagine this happening is if you're sitting on a Divine Insight proc, your PW:S is nearly done and the tank is about to take a huge hit that absolutely will kill them without the extra shielding, and every possible damage reduction cooldown between the two of you is on CD. I'm pretty confident in saying this is incredibly unlikely.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
There's not a whole lot of need to monitor shields. Seriously, especially in a 10 man, you're either blanketing the raid in shields (in which case its not rocket science to figure out how much damage they'll absorb) or putting tons of shielding on your tank (in which case you're going to cap at 2 G Heals anyway).

Knowing that I've got a ~220k Spirit Shell on every person in the raid except maybe the main tank is nice to know, but not really useful information. Its not going to influence how I'm playing. Honestly, you're taking information you want to know, that's useful in a few one-in-a-million edge cases where your shields are partially worn down but a massive hit is coming you need them up for and somehow you still have the ability to shore them up.

Personally the only time I can imagine this happening is if you're sitting on a Divine Insight proc, your PW:S is nearly done and the tank is about to take a huge hit that absolutely will kill them without the extra shielding, and every possible damage reduction cooldown between the two of you is on CD. I'm pretty confident in saying this is incredibly unlikely.

1) You can tell if your prayer of healing is going to over"bubble" whether in spirit shell or not.
2) You can level out the shields among the groups based on incoming damage melee vs ranged.
3) If there is a large divine aegis on one party, I can focus spirit shell on the other temporarily so shields aren't wasted.
4) Precasting the shield on to a single target so it lands as the shield goes low enough to not hit your hp cap.

These are only four very very very common things I use it for. These are things impossible to account for without seeing the size of the shield. Not seeing the relative size of the shields is as good as blindly throwing out shields....sure it will work, but you could even better when you account for the size of all of the shields.
Edited by Semirhaj on 11/18/2012 2:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
1: 3 PoH's and they're capped, or nearly so.
2: Why? I can fully cover both, no reason to pick and choose.
3: Does this really come up for people? I either use Spirit Shell when damage is incoming (but not here yet) or when constant damage is happening (and where the healing goes generally doesn't matter).
4: Never gonna happen if you use it before damage happens.

Personally, your "very common" situations are things I've literally never had happen before. However I use Spirit Shell ~15 seconds before raid damage occurs and (with the exception of Gara'jal so far) never use it on a single target.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
1: 3 PoH's and they're capped, or nearly so.
2: Why? I can fully cover both, no reason to pick and choose.
3: Does this really come up for people? I either use Spirit Shell when damage is incoming (but not here yet) or when constant damage is happening (and where the healing goes generally doesn't matter).
4: Never gonna happen if you use it before damage happens.

Personally, your "very common" situations are things I've literally never had happen before. However I use Spirit Shell ~15 seconds before raid damage occurs and (with the exception of Gara'jal so far) never use it on a single target.

1) What about when damage is incoming during spirit shell? You cast 2 PoH on both groups, which do you cast on next? blindly guess. Sure in an ideal world no damage is going out during spirit shell, but that is seldom the case.

2) So if very low damage is on the ranged, but highly on the melee you are going to continue shielding the low damage? Is this not wasting shield casts? Also, the shields have to go up without any damage going out.

3) With a crit prayer of healing, an extremely large amount of shielding is thrown out. This happens often and can be actually forced to happen in some cases.

4) Yes it happens when you start capping the shields. Precasting so it lands as the previous shield is low enough.

These never happen for you because you can't see them. If you could see it happening, you would see how often this happens. How would you have any clue of these happening other than blindly guessing they don't? Like I said not using the addons isn't make or break, but you are selling your healing short without this information.
Edited by Semirhaj on 11/18/2012 3:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
1: Whichever one I didn't cast on last. Unless things are dire (as in, we're probably about to wipe no matter what happens) I just alternate between the groups.

2: Damage frequently isn't going out, and when it is how often is it concentrated on one group? I've certainly never seen this happen before in any meaningful way, and even if it was it'd be a tough choice between shielding melee and shielding ranged- we only have 4 people at any given time with any reason to be in melee (2 tanks and 2 melee) which is pretty standard.

3: I'm not sure in what sort of situation you need to use Spirit Shell reactively but the Divine Aegis shield from a crit PoH is considered significant. I get a ~36k shield from a PoH crit.

4: But you won't cap shields using PoH (unless you're spamming it up on one group) and aren't really using Spirit Shell too effectively if you're using single target heals.

I'm not seeing these situations happening because they just don't happen. In the few cases where they could happen, they're not providing any useful information. There's no mechanic that causes your melee group to take ridiculously lethal amounts of damage while leaving your ranged group untouched unless you're standing in for Epicenter.

If you're finding you can't drop Spirit Shell on people ahead of time without taking damage that would meaningfully impact your healing, people are either practicing their synchronized fire-standing or you're in a fight of absolutely constant (and thus, more or less even) raid damage.

I guess this information is sorta useful, if a bit infrequently so, if you don't heal particularly often. But I know exactly how much SS PoH to drop on groups because I'm doing it dozens of times every raid night and there's no reason to do anything but 3 PoH on each group unless someones dead.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Mandatory?
First of all Vhudo is far superior to Healbot. Second, no it's not mandatory. You can make @mouseover macro's, and accomplish the same thing.
Don't confuse click frame addons for clicking btw. What it is, is @mouseover keybinds, bound to mouse clicks using a third parties interface/color scheme.
There are those who play semantics, and say "clicking" with your mouse is " clicking" this is false. "clicking" is when you hover over an ability on your action bar, with your mouse curser and click it.
Also Clique, Vhudo, Healbot etc are good for other reasons other wise you could and would just use @mouseover macro's. They show hots and effects, with a count down.

I can't advocate enough for at the very least using @mouseover macro's. Why would you want to target someone, THEN cast? You would chose a clumsy, two step system instead of doing it in one step?
Edited by Jagen on 11/18/2012 8:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Don't confuse click frame addons for clicking btw. What it is, is @mouseover keybinds, bound to mouse clicks using a third parties interface/color scheme.
There are those who play semantics, and say "clicking" with your mouse is " clicking" this is false. "clicking" is when you hover over an ability on your action bar, with your mouse curser and click it.

Also Clique, Vhudo, Healbot etc are good for other reasons other wise you could and would just use @mouseover macro's. They show hots and effects, with a count down.

I just wanted to quote these two parts because I've had this argument so many times.

At the end of the day I prefer addons because I like the way I can customize my UI via addons to show information in a way I prefer.

And no, it is not clicking.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I just like having an addon that shows my hots on people, debuffs I can dispel, debuffs like bleeds that let me know someone will need extra healing, who is using what damage reduction cd, etc. I can do all that with Healbot, which is why I stick to it. I'm pretty sure other addons do the same thing, but I'm pretty comfortable with HB. Do I NEED it to heal? No. It's just a preference.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
What I know from how my default UI is setup, the only ones I'm missing are different colors for dispellable debuffs, the size of absorbs (though you can mouseover, its tedious) and I'm not sure on Grace as I haven't bothered to check.

Either way- I've yet to have anyone "overwhelm" me in effectiveness. Or even come close, really. Probably because of those three things only two are useful, and they're honestly not that big a deal.

The standard UI does do a lot of what it needs to, but if you have no way to monitor the shield being put onto the raid you are at a serious disadvantage as a disc priest at least. For a class like holy priest, I could see the natural frames being just as good as healing addons if you use mouse over macros. However like I said, for a special case like disc priest, someone who has a method to monitor the various shields is going to be more effective than someone of equal skill who is blindly putting up shields.

What is a good addon for monitoring shields? On my blizzard UI (with the raid frames addon), I can see when PW: Shield is up (even if its not mine) the weakened soul debuff, and spirit shell (even if its not mine). I currently cannot see divine aegis, but any suggestions for addons that manage this better would be welcome.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
BTW I did get default ui to show Grace stacks, but not the duration so far. I tweaked the addon to try and show the time left, will see tonight if its working (grumble grumble something about maintenance).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
What is a good addon for monitoring shields? On my blizzard UI (with the raid frames addon), I can see when PW: Shield is up (even if its not mine) the weakened soul debuff, and spirit shell (even if its not mine). I currently cannot see divine aegis, but any suggestions for addons that manage this better would be welcome.

Vuhdo and Grid2 will do it out of box, I believe there is a plugin for Grid to do similar. I personally only track the SS amount, and only show the presence of DA via a square indicator. If you want to track each shield separately Vuhdo is probably your best bet, it shows shield amount as a 4 part indicator.

One of the main reasons I use Grid2 is for its shield status, which I have set to a purple bar that when it fills the frame means the Spirit Shell is capped.
See: http://youtu.be/3cf1dpm08Mk?t=9s
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
11/13/2012 11:26 AMPosted by Ocyla
I liked the Blizzard frames until I found out they bugged like mad and I couldn't do custom things with them. So, vuhdo ftw. And you don't NEED add ons but if you want to see the same info but in a better format, absolutely get some.

This it would randomly target pets over the people I actually wanted to target and non update correctly. They were horrible.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
They are not mandatory at all. I prefer not to use them TBH. Some addons can be very helpful though for things like tracking rapture for disc so that you can throw free bubbles which can help with mana use.

Addons tend to be of use when trying to imporve in a certain area so your best betmight be to see how you do and get addons afterward to improve in the areas that are key to your playstyle.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I like Clique and just using the standard Blizzard RaidFrames.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
IMO yes

Ex.

Is a car mandatory?
No
You can walk or take the bus....

Which is faster and arguably more efficient.

I use Vuhdo / Hotcandy / Power Aura's Classic MoP ver.
+ a few others
Reply Quote
IMO yes

Ex.

Is a car mandatory?
No
You can walk or take the bus....

Which is faster and arguably more efficient.

I use Vuhdo / Hotcandy / Power Aura's Classic MoP ver.
+ a few others

I disagree. I've tried some healing addons (Vuhdo, Healbot, Grid), and I didn't feel comfortable with them. I heal just fine with the default UI, it's all based on personal preference. If you heal well with addons, great, if you don't use addons, that's fine too. Everyone plays a little differently.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman

I disagree. I've tried some healing addons (Vuhdo, Healbot, Grid), and I didn't feel comfortable with them. I heal just fine with the default UI, it's all based on personal preference. If you heal well with addons, great, if you don't use addons, that's fine too. Everyone plays a little differently.

Agreed, everyone has there different play style. BUT The enhanced raid frames that keep all of the information tidy and in one place helps with reaction times. Being able to track the groups mana, hots, shields etc is a big help for me. Vuhdo has been a life saver.

Setting all of my heals with a few key binds, has made all the difference. Its all in the setup. It has to be tailored to what makes sense to each user.

All of my healers use similar key binds. Doing this allows me to hop from toon to toon.

ex.
left click spam heal
right click big heal
shift left emergency
shift right group heal ie chain heal
alt right shield
alt left hot
ctrl right dispel
ctrl left buff (unleash elements)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]