Prot Pally Guide - Protect the Pandas!

(Sticky)

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm pretty sure that sticky requests don't show up like that, since you can't request sticky a second post. There's people who think that guides need to be reported, like helping people play the game better makes you a horrible person who should be banned. :|
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
To be fair I might be able to understand why with my "questionable" posts...

Except for some reason I can't see how I got reported. >_>;
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yeah its hard to believe they would use the same icon. I sticky requested and upvoted it too. Until such time as the op shamelessly plugs the guide in every thread like svayne. At which time I will downvote and report for spamming. >;D
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

You know how pallys are, bunch'a jelly drama queens on fbelfs.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Sigh.

Once again i reported the thread as "other" and said that it should be stickied. In addition to the request sticky button this is a way of bringing a good guide to the mods attention for stickying. After i reported it I clicked the thumbs up botton as well.

In fact for a long while this was the ONLY way to request a sticky. Im sure that another poster did the same thing but also reported the 2nd post also.

Or it could just be a troll.
Edited by Celyndrashad on 10/26/2012 6:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Its a report for a sticky.

I did it and was the first one to do so.

I chose other and asked them to sticky the thread.

The second post too?

That was me reporting it under Other as a sticky request. It's what I did for my guide.

I'm pretty sure that sticky requests don't show up like that, since you can't request sticky a second post. There's people who think that guides need to be reported, like helping people play the game better makes you a horrible person who should be banned. :|

Blizz said a long time ago to report stickies under Other.

Trust me, they show up as the same thing.
Edited by Xerties on 10/26/2012 7:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
If Monk is present – Consult with each other. Emperor = Kings and Tiger = Might.

DPS monks can cast both tiger (crit) and emperor (stats) at the same time. Other specs only have access to emperor (stats).

If a druid or monk is present, ALWAYS cast might.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Hi - I'm going to voice that I don't think the dodge/parry/mastery "total damage taken" is even remotely close in power to the control expertise builds.

The total damage taken builds typically don't model healing taken realistically, and with pandaria you have opportunities for lots of trickle or smaller heals which is far less stressful on typical healing patterns, and allows for the consistent hybrid damage/healing roles like disc or dps centric raid healing MW styles, VE and even paladins using battle healer for more trickle.

Removing even a single spike in a fight due to removing parries causes your healers to not potentially dig a hole / overlap healing cooldowns or GCDs and causing more overheals. This also allows you to save your own cooldowns for predictable spikes, or intensive raid healing moments rather than using them reactively after a spike sneaks through due to shield downtime or mitigation downtime.

This isn't necessarily apparent in any models, but implied by the results. And the situations that come from taking more spikes but less damage overall via d/p/m are more prone to cause wipes or prolonged fights due to deaths because of extra healer attention on the tanks.

I've tried it both ways, and you do not notice "taking less damage" overall with d/p/m, but I have definitely noticed a spike reduction. Anecdotes, of course ;)

Of course I don't believe blizzard intended this gearup pattern (which is why some BIS items are clearly ret items to hit the high cap) and so it isn't easy or may not be feasible for people to respend early valor or bother taking dedicated dps' items. And they could fix it by allowing parries to generate charges, nullifying the pattern.

But just a few raids trying it and you can definitely see more shield uptime, and way fewer panic moments.
Edited by Nannie on 10/27/2012 2:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I know most people usually take the Dodge / Parry / Mastery model because they want a build that's supposedly "tank-equivalent", which by that I mean the original builds from Cataclysm and the like. Personally, I think the build is pretty trashy, but I could understand it in maybe something like Heroic 5 mans where the boss fights aren't as long as in raids. In this case, diminishing returns wouldn't be -as significant-. I have no problem scrapping the build though if there's more voices to removing it.

From a personal standpoint, I'm glad how it is right now with the Theck builds. It makes gearing much easier for Ret / Prot users such as myself.
Edited by Bassm on 11/6/2012 10:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Bump
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
zZq
this really needs to be stickied!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
My priority is challenge modes. I've been stacking dodge and parry, but recently got 7.5% hit and expertise to get avenger shield to always hit so I have a second interupt (rebuke mass rez, avenger shield mind control for Whitemane, etc). Have tanked normal MV to 10% Elegon without a problem as well along the way.

I personally use hit gems in blue sockets instead of stamina since extra stamina doesn't reduce damage and nothing comes close to two shotting me that can be avoided. I'd actually disagree with recommending stamina gems at all based on my experience; the extra hit is far more useful and noticable imo.
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Warrior
Nice guide; should be quite useful when my paladin finally hits 90. =3
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
* NO MORE AOE TAUNTS – Righteous Defense has been removed from Protection Paladins as well as their equivalents from other classes.

Well, yea the spell is gone, but i have been farming this item for a while that does the same thing but better. It's called the battle horn and it drops from a rare mob just north of stormstout brewery. It taunts all targets within a 40 yard raidius or something. (all i can say about it, it has a huge radius)

Happy Farming for all us Pallies!!!
Edited by Hornchief on 10/28/2012 8:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Honestly, I don't think we really need to worry too much about AoE taunts anymore. At worst, maybe during tank swap scenarios where the off-tank has more than one enemy (I haven't played Stone Guardians but maybe then?).

Also would really love second opinions on both the Dodge / Parry build; Nannie's opinion is definitely appreciated, and I would be more than happy to put my input on some things too once I hit my Level 90 (and *grumble* faction grind *grumble*).
My priority is challenge modes. I've been stacking dodge and parry, but recently got 7.5% hit and expertise to get avenger shield to always hit so I have a second interupt (rebuke mass rez, avenger shield mind control for Whitemane, etc). Have tanked normal MV to 10% Elegon without a problem as well along the way.

I personally use hit gems in blue sockets instead of stamina since extra stamina doesn't reduce damage and nothing comes close to two shotting me that can be avoided. I'd actually disagree with recommending stamina gems at all based on my experience; the extra hit is far more useful and noticable imo.

Interesting.

I do know there's a weird situation going on with reforged Hit as well (unless that's been hotfixed recently), so I can see why you went for the gems instead of reforging. Still, most of this guide is a bit more WRT raids and not so much challenge modes. I have no problem implementing some stuff based on Challenge Mode as well if there's others interested in me implementing it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Bump.

Hopefully once I hit 90 I can add a little more relevant information as well. Should be this week, I hope. I've mainly been keeping away from hitting 90 to figure out Holy as much as possible (let's face it Ret is a cakewalk).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
what is the hit cap of heroic dungeons to tank in same with expertise
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Sticky requested.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
10/30/2012 12:48 PMPosted by Scithileon
what is the hit cap of heroic dungeons to tank in same with expertise

Heroic 5mans
Hit-6%
Dodge and parry cap for expertise-6%

Raids
Hit-7.5%
Dodge cap for expertise 7.5%
Parry cap for expertise 15%
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]