Prot Pally Guide - Protect the Pandas!

90 Human Paladin
So after some glancing at 90, it looks like our Censure really is pretty pathetic. Honestly, I'm not sure why most people stick with SoT, but c'est la vie. I mean I guess it's an extra amount of damage, but I barely noticed a huge spike in my DPS to really warrant it I guess.

Preference to the player, but I'm really thinking SoI is the way to go for us Prot Pallies.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Todays my last day so heres a bump for you Bassam!

Hope you get a sticky!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Todays my last day so heres a bump for you Bassam!

Hope you get a sticky!

Thank you once again for your input and advice. Godspeed on getting the xpac so I'm not tbe only one here <_<;
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Devotion Aura – 3 Min cd, protects enemies within 40 yards of the caster from magic damage by 20% for 6 seconds. Best used when magic AoE happens.

Nice guide, pretty sure that's a typo though. :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'll fix that when I get home, thank you!

Even though the enemies technically need protection from our awesomesauce. :P Keep those likes and sticky requests coming please!

Also am looking for input from others on seals and if anyone attempts seal swapping aside from their standard seal to SoR. Actually, any extra input from tanks is greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to hit up heroic dungeon tanking by next week or so. Probably will have to raise 'lock to get my enchants easier and crank Warrior or re-profession my Shaman for Inscription, but that's a bit offtopic.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Okay. That one thing mentioned was fixed. Now for a random question - should I go a little more in-depth with our passive abilities or not?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Okay... anything extra to add as well? Anyone?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Guess not.

But I do have another experimental question - has anyone tried gemming Haste over Stamina yet on any of their Prot gear, or did enchants differently than from the current setup?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I procced a couple of haste/stam gems on my DK while trying to learn some green cuts and slotted them to my tank gloves. All of 240 haste, so it doesn't make much of a difference, especially since I'm still not quite to a point where I can hardcap expertise and still have leeway to forge elsewhere.

Not been tanking a lot recently, though, and been extremely lax on the gear. Ret set's almost done, so maybe I'll start spending Valor on OS soon.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well I think my tanking set is close enough to "complete", at least for Heroics. We're going to take it for a spin and see how it does. Wish me luck!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I think over the week I'll be doing some updates to the guide. I think for the most part:

* SoT should be removed altogether as an option. As shown by Theck's numbers, it is a measly DPS increase for loss of survivability and utility through Battle Healer and such. Seal swapping isn't very good, either. You only gain your Censure tick, and it really, REALLY sucks.
* Tier 90 needs a bigger breakdown. I realize I'm slightly underestimating Holy Prism's power in there. I think Light's Hammer is still a fairly weak choice (it just seems better on Holy IMO), but I'm open to the criticism of it. ES is definitely best on single-target.
* I think I need to re-work the actual rotation and flesh it out more. Some people are still confused with how it's worded, and I think it can be revised a bit better. I'll look into it.
* Slightly greater glyph breakdown. It's not bad at the moment, but extra info never hurts.
* Stat Priority should be reversed.

If you feel anything else should be added / removed / contributed, please let me know.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
good to know, thanks.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Please correct this part:

10/25/2012 09:23 PMPosted by Bassm
If Grand Crusader procs, simply replace Crusader Strike swing with Avenger's Shield.

CS is the heartbeat of our rotation, so it should not be pushed back for anything. Grand Crusader procs are merely highest priority filler (CS - J - X - CS - X - J - CS - X - X).
Edited by Choz on 11/27/2012 7:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm going to hold off on the update until Holy Wrath is (possibly) fixed. If it isn't by next Tuesday, I'll update the guide to accommodate the (rather !@#$ty) change.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
CS is the heartbeat of our rotation, so it should not be pushed back for anything. Grand Crusader procs are merely highest priority filler (CS - J - X - CS - X - J - CS - X - X).

I think I worded that badly. This is what I mean.

In the event of a GS proc it should pretty much be pushed first (pretty much like you said). That's kind of what I meant by "replacing" CS. I guess I primarily use it as soon as it procs, but I can see the argument where you would bump it on the highest priority instead when X happens.

For example

CS -> J -> X -> CS -> J -> X

Pretty much what I and everyone else would do.

I personally do this when GS procs:

GS -> CS -> J -> X -> CS -> J

And so on. I only push it back under GS proc, and that's about it. But usually in the rotation it's more than likely acting as X anyway.

Regardless, I can fix it in.

EDIT: Actually, you are right on this. Now that I think about it more extensively, you should just put GS proc in the X part of the rotation. I guess I complicated it a bit because I'm so used to having X at that point most of the time (and didn't completely mind pushing it in front), but it makes perfect sense to always use CS / J first.
Edited by Bassm on 11/27/2012 7:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
11/03/2012 09:45 AMPosted by Bassm
Okay. That one thing mentioned was fixed. Now for a random question - should I go a little more in-depth with our passive abilities or not?

Focused shield is more dps then alabaster shield. Alabaster shield isn't 100% required either. There are fights where you wont be locking much, if at all. Third boss of Terrace comes to mind.

For rotation, it should be Crusader strike / judgement priority. Avengers shield on proc gets higher priority then CS / Judgement. So the list is AS(prov),CS/Judge, AS, HW, Conc.

Our shield is off the gcd so we can use it with say a crusader strike at the same time. Your gems are off as well. for the haste build Blue is pure hit, or hit/exp. Red is pure exp. Yellow is exp / haste or pure haste when doing the haste build.

Haste build is also generally more dps. Faster cooldown on all our moves as well as more hp generation.

Over all, the evasion build is, plain and simple, crap. Mastery and Haste stacking builds are Much better and recommended. Evasion build not only takes more spikey damage, but more damage over all.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Still haven't done any normal mode raids.....? Or any of the new lfrs...?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Great post!
Thanks!

/sticky request
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
For rotation, it should be Crusader strike / judgement priority. Avengers shield on proc gets higher priority then CS / Judgement. So the list is AS(prov),CS/Judge, AS, HW, Conc.

Curious where this info comes from since it keeps popping up. It's not from maintankadin, EJ, or even noxxic (I feel dirty now). Well, I could be missing a source but it looks more like an outdated priority from Cata.

In MoP you don't push back CS or J for anything.

Over all, the evasion build is, plain and simple, crap. Mastery and Haste stacking builds are Much better and recommended. Evasion build not only takes more spikey damage, but more damage over all.

Don't exaggerate. Look at the actual numbers from the sims and you'll see that hit/exp/X (X being mastery, haste or avoidance) are all not so far apart. Rotation, CD usage and even lag will still play a bigger role in your survival.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Ok... so I haven't tanked since wrath... and even that was just a little. Thank you sooooo much for the great updated guide!!! I was feeling very lost and overwhelmed...

*sticky please sent

Question... what is this mess I keep hearing about "hit>expt>strength"???
Somebody out there way smarter than me has this figured out and i'm hoping you can help. Bubblz just hit 90 and I keep staring at her blankly...

Thanks again! <3
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]