Prot Pally Guide - Protect the Pandas!

K, you have a general idea of it at least.

Loss of the avoidance stats on gear isn't really that huge of a loss - for the most part, it's okay to use some of the gear that has avoidance stats (i.e. Parry / Hit, Dodge / Mastery); however, unless it is better than the item that you have on it's best not to have items that have both Dodge / Parry on them, if that makes sense.

Dodge / Parry still aren't bad stats, but in comparison to Mastery and Haste they are a little weaker in terms of mitigation - they have less damage taken overall but also introduce spikes. Although, you could cap Hit and Expertise and probably be fine with Dodge / Parry as your other stats.

You can see my gear for an example. It's not the best, obviously, but it introduces some of the idea behind at least the Haste build. I have Dodge / Parry on some of my items, but it's few in numbers. Healers tell me I'm pretty awesome to heal because I self-heal and heal people surrounding me with Battle Healer glyph.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Really, the whole haste/mastery/avoidance thing is way overblown. Prot stat priority is like:

Hit/Exp >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Haste = Mastery (teeny tiny bit >) Avoidance

You'll of course go haste if you care about DPS (and can execute your rotation well), but for tankiness comparisons, just pick your favorite of the three. Avoidance is not a huge loss; it's not even an order of magnitude worse than haste/mastery in the sims.

Always keep in mind that your skill at active mitigation will affect your tanking way, way more than your third stat priority.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm am so glad somepeople are making a real effort to help paladins u have my thumbs up!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Sounds about right.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
It should be noted that Sacred Shield, similiar to DoT's, snapshots your stats at the point you put it up. So when Lust is active Sacred Shield should be refreshed so it spits out your absorbtion effects faster. Also when you get a big hit and your vengeance skyrockets your Sacred Shield won't adjust until you refresh it. Inversely if you have high vengeance then damage dies down you dont want to refresh it tip it falls off, because putting a new shield up would reduced the strength of it.

Also would like to add, Judgement no longer interacts with Seal of Insight. Only Judgement, Hammer of the Righteous, Shield of the Righteous, and Hammer of Wrath do. So Hammer of Wrath should be prioritized above Judgement when <20% health.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Prot doesn't gain HoPo from HoW, though, I didn't think; for that reason a lone, wouldn't Judgment maintain priority?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
03/01/2013 03:01 PMPosted by Grôgnárd
Prot doesn't gain HoPo from HoW, though, I didn't think; for that reason a lone, wouldn't Judgment maintain priority?

But I didnt say you get Holy Power from it, re-read it, it says Hammer of Wrath interacts with Seal of Insight, therefore you have a proc chance from Seal of Insight to heal yourself relative to your vengeance when you use Hammer of Wrath. Since Judgement no longer releases Seals, it doesn't interact with Seal of Insight so Hammer of Wrath takes Priority over Judgement for the chance to heal you. The only case where Judgement would is under Holy Avenger or if you're in desperate need of Holy Power for a WoG. Because other than that Judgement just does damage.
Reply Quote
Sorry if this has been asked before but if it was i must of missed it,
I have heard that macroing shield of the righteous to all of your attacks is good because it doesnt waste time/space hitting SotR on your bar and because it stacks if you cast it before the last stack runs out. My only thought was that it could be bad if you want to save the reduction for spike damage in a few seconds or if you want to use WoG. What are your guy's thoughts on this?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
03/02/2013 02:59 PMPosted by ßàümed
But I didnt say you get Holy Power from it, re-read it

I understood what you said, just not the reasoning behind it. Perhaps it's just the Ret in me that's a tad too focused on getting as much Holy Power as possible, but I do see, now, what you were trying to say. Clarification was all I required.

03/02/2013 10:49 PMPosted by Hathgold
I have heard that macroing shield of the righteous to all of your attacks is good because it doesnt waste time/space hitting SotR on your bar and because it stacks if you cast it before the last stack runs out. My only thought was that it could be bad if you want to save the reduction for spike damage in a few seconds or if you want to use WoG. What are your guy's thoughts on this?

Macroing SotR like that is bad for exactly what you said at the end. Keep SotR on a separate button and use your HoPo intelligently.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Gosh, I'm so happy to have found this thread! My only question is: what is the haste cap? When can I stop putting haste in and start working on Mastery?

WHEN DOES IT END??????!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
...Probably 50% with the 1s global?
Reply Quote
12 Pandaren Hunter
Even though it's been stated:

Macroing SotR is a really bad idea for a multitude of reasons. The first is that there are instances where you want to stockpile your HoPo. Tank swaps are a good example; especially if you aren't in the Haste build (or touching Haste in general). You want SotR there for regular boss hits, but you really want it there for the big attacks. Furthermore, Haste builds have situations where they actually generate HoPo so quick SotR can't keep up GCD-wise. This usually happens only during Heroism or Holy Avenger, but it's still not a good idea for that reason as well. Finally, there are situations you want to cast Word of Glory. This will especially be true in 5.2 with our 2 piece bonus set where our Block rate increases when we use WoG.

Also to answer one of the above posts - personally I would still put HoPo generators first on the rotation before HoW and Holy Wrath glyphed. Survival is still very important and HoPo can still be used for the optional WoG if needed. I'll look onto it more if warranted, but I will also adjust that in my op too.

Also, I'm posting because I will be updating for 5.2 information. It likely will be a little while but I'll try to get it ASAP. It sucks not finding a consistent raid group, so credibility gets shoddy... But... Here's what to expect:

- Grand Crusader is being changed so it will address that.
- More in-depth with builds. I honestly shortened this way too much, IMO.
- More gearing information. Since people have struggled to hard cap stuff like expertise I'll try to address it.
- More in gemming and enchants.
- There was a "soft-cap" blog Theck posted. I'll try looking it up since some people are curious.

Anything extra you would like me to add or suggest please mention it now.
Reply Quote
I'll be adding more later, but to also help answer the question with Haste:

http://sacredduty.net/2012/11/21/haste-breakpoints-for-tankadins/
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
03/02/2013 02:59 PMPosted by ßàümed

But I didnt say you get Holy Power from it, re-read it, it says Hammer of Wrath interacts with Seal of Insight, therefore you have a proc chance from Seal of Insight to heal yourself relative to your vengeance when you use Hammer of Wrath. Since Judgement no longer releases Seals, it doesn't interact with Seal of Insight so Hammer of Wrath takes Priority over Judgement for the chance to heal you. The only case where Judgement would is under Holy Avenger or if you're in desperate need of Holy Power for a WoG. Because other than that Judgement just does damage.

Interesting angle, but why would you prioritize a chance for a heal over a guaranteed holy power? HP isn't just for WoG but for Shield of the Righteous too. (Actually I see WoG as more of a cooldown and ShotR as the main dump for holy power.) Seal of Insight overheals so much, I don't understand why you'd take fewer ShotRs to fish for procs that may or may not help you.
Reply Quote
Also, I did forget something else. I will update more of the guide... but I am actively aware that some people do question my viability on writing the guide and such. I haven't bothered asking Maintankadin or any other website to link the guide since I am not a person of self-advertisement often; however, the main point I am getting at is this:

- If you seriously do think I am too incompetent for the position of writing the guide, you are more than free to say so at this time and suggest who should take place of it.

And, to save the sticky - we can always just use the OP and I will convert one of my other posts to either a) notify about it or b) slap my old guide in.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Could I throw in a suggestion for an addon? This is mostly useful in heroics and LFR, but TauntMaster is !@#$ing amazing, although it takes up a bit of space on screen. It gives you a set of raid-type frames that will go red when someone has aggro. Click their name and it taunts whatever they have aggro on. Has really helped me manage my threat better. But if there's a better addon for this use, let me know.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I've been a control mastery build for sometime and I find its very strong. But I've been wondering how much a dps increase can one expect to see going into a haste control build. I have no doubt I can manage pressing buttons a bit faster, but I'm curious has anyone changing a build to control/haste seen a reasonable increase in dps? I'm having no issues handling damage from bosses but I feel like the new team I'm with could use any push they can get in dps and possibly more healing from battle healer as a result.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Just wanted to say thank you for this. It answered a few of my questions about seals and threat.

Great job, keep up the good work! It helps us noobs out. :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for this! I think this post is wonderful. Has much changed since the most recent patch?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]