Prot Pally Guide - Protect the Pandas!

95 Blood Elf Paladin
Love this guide. It has helped me so much with understanding how the class works and has really gotten me vested in the class.

So I don't know how it is at 90 yet, but I will have to say my priority is a bit different. I usually lay my consecrate as early as I can just due to that I love the recent change to its damage. In recount is usually my biggest overall damage during a dungeon by a fair margin. It is just amazing now with the giant boost it got.

Is this the same for any of you higher tanks for trash packs at the higher levels? I just want to male sure that I'm not forming a bad habit now.

I'll usually judgment to start, hammer to start building holy power, wrath to start to build some agro while still rounding the pack up, shield a caster to silence, then lay down the consecrate and start beating the pack up and getting my shield mitigation going. Sound right?
Reply Quote
I'll be throwing more addons and the like soon. I've been having major issues with my computer (corrupt drivers and everything it freaking sucks). I'll answer a couple of questions while I'm here.
Anything changed since recent patch?

Yes, I can break it down in small doses for you if you'd like:

- Grand Crusader now procs off 12% off of HotR / CS and 12% of the time with a successful Dodge / Parry.
- Hand of Purity now has a 10% damage reduction on top of its other abilities.
- Eternal Flame is 100% more effective when self-cast, though considering we use Sacred Shield this one doesn't really affect us.

For the most part, the stat priority for what you want is left slightly unchanged. Haste got a little weaker in theory and Dodge / Parry tanks got a little better. I'll discuss more with those later on. I sort of wish I could get Theck or Wrathblood's eyesight after I'm done with it to make sure I'm not leading people astray - keep in mind that this will be updated in a little bit.
Consecration

For trash pulls (i.e. AoE fights), you always want to prioritize Consecration pretty high anyway. It should always be lower than your Holy Power generators, though.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Most of this guide I agree with for protection pally's except why woulnd't you use Alabaster shield with Glyph of holy wrath, that extra damage from holy wrath basically you one more insta cast damage spell to your ratation, increasing dps dramatically when your holy charge generators are on cd.
Reply Quote
Most of this guide I agree with for protection pally's except why woulnd't you use Alabaster shield with Glyph of holy wrath, that extra damage from holy wrath basically you one more insta cast damage spell to your ratation, increasing dps dramatically when your holy charge generators are on cd.

Alabaster Shield + Battle Healer + Avenging Wrath has been serving me quite well though depending on the fight I've been switching out AW with Divine Protection.

The HW glyph I find is mostly a "meh" glyph that you should only be using if you don't need the extra CD/glyph for a defensive cooldown. Just using AS provides us enough DPS that we normally are doing good enough DPS for our group.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Thanks for this post!
I had stopped playing after I hit 85 in the first few months of playing CAT. Just started playing a 10 day trial of my account of Mists and I really like it. My gear wasn't too bad but did some updating on the AH last night. But I was like a deer in headlights looking at the new talent system. Thanks for this!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Thank You for a great guide
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Thanks for the guide!
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Paladin
CS is the heartbeat of our rotation, so it should not be pushed back for anything. Grand Crusader procs are merely highest priority filler (CS - J - X - CS - X - J - CS - X - X).

I think I worded that badly. This is what I mean.

In the event of a GS proc it should pretty much be pushed first (pretty much like you said). That's kind of what I meant by "replacing" CS. I guess I primarily use it as soon as it procs, but I can see the argument where you would bump it on the highest priority instead when X happens.

For example

CS -> J -> X -> CS -> J -> X

Pretty much what I and everyone else would do.

I personally do this when GS procs:

GS -> CS -> J -> X -> CS -> J

And so on. I only push it back under GS proc, and that's about it. But usually in the rotation it's more than likely acting as X anyway.

Regardless, I can fix it in.

EDIT: Actually, you are right on this. Now that I think about it more extensively, you should just put GS proc in the X part of the rotation. I guess I complicated it a bit because I'm so used to having X at that point most of the time (and didn't completely mind pushing it in front), but it makes perfect sense to always use CS / J first.

Can you list the abbreviation out since I am not sure I understand what X is or GS part. (It is probably something simple).

Here is what I am seeing. It seems with each new patch my damage/dps goes down. I see a lot of pallies in the same vote and wondering why and one on top of the recount. I have changed my rotation/gems/glyphs/talents to the point of being a broken dishearten pally. Doing PVP is easy 3% hit and expertise but PVE is so disappointing to me. I was following old guides on the internet that lead me to being on the bottom of recount and getting me yelled at in LFRS. Yes, I have a mix of gear, since drops in LRFs really stinks...I don't need another 500+ necklace or chest piece - I need a weapon and shoulders if that is too much to ask for or any of my 90s. Therefore I try to use reforge to get the maximum use out of my PVP gear in PVE fights. Any suggests would greatly help... going to go reforge for 15% expertise.
Edited by Norinna on 6/16/2013 8:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
"X" is any other ability that's off cooldown at that time (a filler ability). I think that GS is supposed to be GC (Grand Crusader proc) but I'm not that up to speed on some acronyms so I could be mistaken myself.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
"X" is any other ability that's off cooldown at that time (a filler ability). I think that GS is supposed to be GC (Grand Crusader proc) but I'm not that up to speed on some acronyms so I could be mistaken myself.

Yes, GC is Avenger's Shield when you get a Grand Crusader proc and it will grant Holy Power.

Since this guide is not only outdated but also was incorrect when it was written, I'll just try to summarize the Prot Paladin rotation/priority here:

--------------

Single-target rotation:

Crusader Strike is the backbone of your rotation. Using it on cooldown grants you the highest amount of Holy Power.

CS - x - x - CS - x - x - CS - x - x -CS

Judgement is your next highest priority. It also grants Holy Power every time, but because it has a slightly longer cooldown, you will occasionally have to let it sit off of cooldown for Crusader Strike.

CS - Judge - x - CS - x - Judge - CS - x - x - CS - Judge - x - CS

The "x" are filler abilities. You want to prioritize your filler abilities based on their survival benefits, and failing that, what does the most damage.

The only filler ability that grants Holy Power is Avenger's Shield when Grand Crusader procs, abbreviated GC. This is your next highest priority.

Sacred Shield is a self-buff that procs an absorb shield on yourself periodically. You want to keep this up as much as possible, so I would recommend prioritizing it after all your Holy Power abilities. There are some advanced techniques involving Sacred Shield and your vengeance/attack power values, but for someone new to the class I wouldn't be that worried about it. Just reapply it if you see it under roughly ~6 seconds, but it's not the end of the world if it falls off for a bit.

After that, your rotational abilities are purely damage-dealing fillers.

Avenger's Shield hits 3 targets for a large amount of damage, and should be your highest priority of these.

Holy Wrath hits quite hard nowadays, and should be next. Note that the Holy Wrath in-game tooltip is a lie.

Hammer of Wrath is only available sub-20% health, technically it's our Execute, but it actually does a bit less damage than Holy Wrath.

Consecrate is your lowest priority for single-target, but it's still not bad.

------

AoE rotation:

Hammer of the Righteous gets subbed in for Crusader Strike. Otherwise, the important survival portion of your rotation is the same - after all, your goal is to live, no?

Your filler abilities look different though. Avenger's Shield is still great because it hits three targets for a truckload, but Consecrate really pushes ahead of everything else. Hammer of Wrath is single-target, and Holy Wrath splits its damage among all targets in range (it's an odd ability).

------

Level 90 talents:

Our level 90 talents play different roles depending on which you take. I honestly refuse to put Holy Prism and Light's Hammer into a typical "rotation" priority because if you're using them in a raid, it's pretty obvious when they're useful.

Holy Prism is taken for the 5-target splash heal off of your current target, or you may use it on a specific friendly target to pick up stray adds. It's not going to obey your rotation, and you honestly might skip a Holy Power generator to line it up with a hard-hitting ability.

Light's Hammer is a ground AoE that deals damage and healing to everything within it. It's pretty obvious when it's useful, and again does not obey your typical rotation.

Execution Sentence is only taken for single-target DPS, and my understanding is that while you ideally would use it behind Avenger's Shield but ahead of Holy Wrath (as a filler ability), the smart way to max your DPS with it is to time it right after you take huge damage and have high Vengeance attack power. So again... it doesn't obey your typical rotation.

--------

I might just write a Prot guide next tier. I'm going to have to ticket to get my Holy guide taken down because there is just no way I'll be keeping up with the 5.4 changes. I barely heal anything anymore >.<
Edited by Tailias on 7/5/2013 4:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
3 Dwarf Hunter
What should my dodge/block/parry minimun % be at?
Reply Quote
88 Draenei Paladin
guys give me stuff on protection thats what i need but i a a good pally thats not the point. i need stuff on well i need stuff on is there some thing i should change about my guy plz tell me o i can be a pally master
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
If you use Vuh'do, and I do since I have been a main spec Holy Pally for years, you can set it to show who has aggro by outlining there box in red or whatever color you want.
This tells me who has threat all in a small space.

It makes it really easy to use WoG or any of the hands on other people by binding the spells to your mouse.

You can move the Vuh'do boxes anywhere on screen and it is awesome for healing as well as tanking.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Hi for some reason I can't post on my pally. I just now started to tank. Need loads of help. What you written so far has helped and I thank you. I just can't seem to get my tool bar right.
I been going back-n-forward changing it. What is the best way to set it up, so everything just flows right. From what you posted so far I see I need to change a few sockets. I got parry up but expertise is way to low and master needs a little work. Manly right now I have mostly the timeless isle gear and 2 of the 561 gear once you up it. Weapon and shield are low I know they must be changed both are blues. Any help you or anyone else can give we be most grateful. It be a while before I try a raids, need to get a feel for tanking.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
this guide needs to be updated
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
This guide is outdated and generally bad. Disregard it.
Reply Quote
99 Blood Elf Paladin
03/05/2014 12:17 PMPosted by Pröcess

Big surprise seeing how it hasn't been updated in over a year....
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
03/07/2014 10:45 AMPosted by Liminara
03/05/2014 12:17 PMPosted by Pröcess

Big surprise seeing how it hasn't been updated in over a year....

But since it's still stickied and new players may click on it for help, I think it's appropriate to let them know. Have a good one
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]