Did rare pets miss the mark?

90 Goblin Hunter
This really hit home for me in Cata. The new hunter pet tame challenges had me all excited. Trying to figure out how to get Skarr or the others was fun. and challenging (at first anyways) But I was highly disspapointed that after I got said pet it was just another cat/spider/etc.. Why didn't these pets get some sort of special ability that seperated them from the regular joe scmhoe pets? A new skin is pretty and all, but worthless really. What's the point? If they are rare then by all means make them special too. Something not over the top but worth going after. Like a bonus to whatever stat they bring to the table. (instead of 5% crit they give 8% crit to the group) Just a little extra to give a little bonus of going through the process of getting them.

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Having a rare only pet be an "upgrade" is not the direction they want to go into. I can agree with this, because we will be balanced assuming we have the "rare pet", and that means we are performing under budget until we burn several hours camping a rare spawn (something no other class has to deal with, nor do they have anything along those lines, like a class specific quest to unlock Arcane Int v 2.0)

Now, visual (i.e. cosmetic) effects I am fine with. Like unique skins or effects (like the sword in the skull wolf, but not have it be a glitch, but a permanent effect sort of thing).
Edited by Verdash on 11/5/2012 7:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Again with the balancing??? The classes should not be balanced.. It's just not good lore/life. If I camp out for hours or die a thousand times trying to get a "Rare" pet there should be a bonus for that effort. Walking out into the North Barrens and taming a lvl 15 lion shouldn't net the exact same rewards are obtaining skarr.

If my pet does 8% stat bonus v. a 5% stat bonus of another hunter that didn't bother then that's bad on him and I should get the spot. The difference should be minimal I agree that really only affects the min/max people. But it should be noticable and worth while. We are hunters we should be hunting in our "Downtime" we're forced into many other things in this game. Being "Forced" into hunting down a rare for a minimal gain over a normal pet isn't out of the scope of the game. And again it would really only be for the min/max people. If you don't want to so be it. If you're not in a progressive guild that demands you be bleeding edge then it's fine. Just a little extra bonus for rare hunts... It just makes sense.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/05/2012 07:56 AMPosted by Shamrunt
Being "Forced" into hunting down a rare for a minimal gain over a normal pet isn't out of the scope of the game

Yes it is.

NO OTHER CLASS HAS ANYTHING SIMILAR TO THIS.

Hunting down a Rare is the accomplishment and the reward. I agree that something should make them stand out, but it shouldn't be anything that impacts actual game play. Cosmetic/Visual, or non-combat only (i.e. a wolf that, when you go on a corpse run, the wolf is with you assuming it was your active pet).
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
No. Rares are for the thrill of the hunt, nothing more. If that's not worth it to you, then don't hunt them down.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Shamrunt, I assume you didn't play during Vanilla.

Back then, rare spawns WERE better than other pets. Back then, every pet, every family, was different from one another. Some had different attack speeds, different damages, etc. Some cats were just plain better than others (brokentooth, a cat, was one of the most widely used hunter pets out there because he had the fastest attack speed of any cat in the game).

That said, this was a terrible design. Camping for a pet was annoying, didn't take skill, and worst of all *everyone* ended up using the exact same pet because it was the best.

There was no variety at all. What you suggest is making two steps backward (or maybe more around three or four).

Blizzard, patch after patch, have been moving in a way that makes ALL pets viable. Now hunters can pick which pet they want purely based on aesthetic. No longer are turtles, gorillas, etc. the only tanks. No longer is Broken Tooth "the best" cat. No, now we can pick pets based on theme and flavor and how well they match our characters.

Going back to having Best-In-Slot pets would just plain suck.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
That said, this was a terrible design. Camping for a pet was annoying, didn't take skill, and worst of all *everyone* ended up using the exact same pet because it was the best.

There was no variety at all. What you suggest is making two steps backward (or maybe more around three or four).

Pretty much this.

No thanks. I was happy when we were finally able to use the pets we wanted.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
ehh.. Guess it's just me then. And nope I didn't start playing until the very end of Wrath (probably about a month or so before cata dropped)

But to me having the "BiS" pet makes a heck of a lot more sense than this. But there would be a whole slew of "BiS" pets when adding just a slight increase to a stat. Because we bring whatever pet is needed in the raid. So I might not need 8% crit but find that 8% mastery is what is needed in my Raid group. And so on. So therefore I would need to get all the BiS pets to be able to cover all the options. Not just one pet.

I guess I'm just used to games having a "Best of the best" weapon, armor, spell.. Whatever. In Final Fantasy 12 I went through a ton of crap to get the Zodiac Spear... Why? Surely not because it was pretty and glowed blue instead of green. Because it was the best weapon to get. Zelda I had to go through a bunch of challenges to get the Master sword the Red armor and the Hyjal/Mirror shield. I was rewarded with the "Best" for all my efforts. As I took it these "Rare pets" are indeed supposed to be "The best" in the game. They all offered something a bit different. (now they don't as a wolf can be a tenacity pet, etc etc.) The challenges were fun. But the rewards we're lacking. I got savage from the new MoP rare finds but I don't see much point to getting the rest unless I just stumble across their prints out in the wild.

But again just me I guess. Apaprently it seems to have been done before and moved away from.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
It was mostly moved away from, because no other class had anything equivalent, and it wasn't deemed "appropriate" to penalize one class into burning hours hunting for a rare spawn when no other classes were.

Nowadays, rare spawns are mostly about vanity. Exception being Galleon, but at least he is not a solo encounter.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Hunter
Because we bring whatever pet is needed in the raid. So I might not need 8% crit but find that 8% mastery is what is needed in my Raid group.

Keep in mind that hunter pets are a component of the greater buff/debuff design. Blizzard is not going to give us a better crit or mastery buff than what other classes can provide.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
its all just for looks. Otherwise ppl would be forced to tame them.
Reply Quote
i agree with you, there seems to be no reward for hunting for a cool pet, .. like jus having a different look is not really a reward.. some hunter enjoy spending hours finding a cool pet and would like it to produce even a half of a % increase to something
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Having a cool pet you like is reward enough. I shudder to think of the issues if we go back to vanilla style 'rares are better'. Anyone remember Brokentooth and friends? The AH was a dentist's nightmare with all those tan Brokenteeth. Sitting out in the badlands was fun. Not.

It's not fair to make people camp for a particular pet EQ style.

Yes, I realize that all of the spirit beasts are rare and wish they'd put a common one in for folks who just want an SB for functionality. I just don't believe in punishing folks who can't camp or prefer other parts of the game. Or they might enjoy the nonrare skins.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
ehh.. Guess it's just me then. And nope I didn't start playing until the very end of Wrath (probably about a month or so before cata dropped)

But to me having the "BiS" pet makes a heck of a lot more sense than this. But there would be a whole slew of "BiS" pets when adding just a slight increase to a stat. Because we bring whatever pet is needed in the raid. So I might not need 8% crit but find that 8% mastery is what is needed in my Raid group. And so on. So therefore I would need to get all the BiS pets to be able to cover all the options. Not just one pet.

I guess I'm just used to games having a "Best of the best" weapon, armor, spell.. Whatever. In Final Fantasy 12 I went through a ton of crap to get the Zodiac Spear... Why? Surely not because it was pretty and glowed blue instead of green. Because it was the best weapon to get. Zelda I had to go through a bunch of challenges to get the Master sword the Red armor and the Hyjal/Mirror shield. I was rewarded with the "Best" for all my efforts. As I took it these "Rare pets" are indeed supposed to be "The best" in the game. They all offered something a bit different. (now they don't as a wolf can be a tenacity pet, etc etc.) The challenges were fun. But the rewards we're lacking. I got savage from the new MoP rare finds but I don't see much point to getting the rest unless I just stumble across their prints out in the wild.

But again just me I guess. Apaprently it seems to have been done before and moved away from.

You can still get your "Zodiac Spear" in wow. I don't know why you're so stuck on the idea that the pet is an item or weapon, when it's really just an extension on your character, like a different hairstyle or transmog.

Hunters need to upgrade all the same things other classes do. Forcing all hunters to get the same pets for stats makes no sense.

This discussion is like saying that players should be forced to farm rare barbers to give them special haircuts that give then stat bonuses over the pure vanilla haircuts you can get from a regular barber in town. Now everyone has exactly the same hairstyle. What was the point in letting us choose anything else again?
Edited by Flimflam on 11/19/2012 7:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
You can still get your "Zodiac Spear" in wow. I don't know why you're so stuck on the idea that the pet is an item or weapon, when it's really just an extension on your character, like a different hairstyle or transmog.

Hunters need to upgrade all the same things other classes do. Forcing all hunters to get the same pets for stats makes no sense.

This discussion is like saying that players should be forced to farm rare barbers to give them special haircuts that give then stat bonuses over the pure vanilla haircuts you can get from a regular barber in town. Now everyone has exactly the same hairstyle. What was the point in letting us choose anything else again?

Let us Hunters discuss hunter stuff, if we want a portal or some mage food we'll let you know ;)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
Going back to the original post- there is a difference in stats in what pet you chose for raids. every pet family is different and with all the various raid make-ups it would make no since to have a best in slot pet for the current design. depending on the make up you might be using a cat buff or a dog buff etc could be needed to balance out the group, which makes forming a pet make up for instant call interesting. It keeps you on your toes.
Ive always found changing out pets for better aoe, or single target, fun and it would be a shame to lose all that to have an elite rare tame.

That being said, this is coming from someone who spends hours looking for rare pets/mounts/etc. (as my pet collection does an embarrassingly good job of showing) I don't find this a waste of time at all and it would take away the thrill/enjoyment out of it if I had to do it as part of gearing. Ive always found rare hunting at 3 in the morning a large chunk of why I play wow.

Just enjoy it for what it is-> fun :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Req
Arent Spirit Beasts still rares that have extra abilities and are hard to get?

Isnt it what OP wants?

And I am pretty sure all the exotic beats have some extra abilities...no?
Edited by Stormkill on 11/20/2012 3:13 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]