Cinder Kitten

80 Gnome Rogue
AnW
11/10/2012 01:48 AMPosted by Baeloro
1. The hurricane happened weeks ago, and people need relief now, not later. 5.1 is weeks/months away, and this money is going to be seen as 'too little, too late' by the time you guys actually get the pet up for sale and in game.

Actually, people are going to need relief months from now as well. Do you think homes and infrastructure can be reconstructed in two weeks? Disasters can take years to recover from, well after most people have moved on to the next cause du jour and forgotten about those still struggling to rebuild their lives. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that you've never been on the wrong end of a natural disaster if you think that recovery efforts will be over for Sandy by the time 5.1 drops.
Reply Quote
13 Undead Hunter
11/10/2012 01:48 AMPosted by Baeloro
I'm actually really happy that our business practices are nowhere near as cynical as you portray

People are not being cynical because you are trying to sell something to raise funds for disaster relief. People are being cynical for two reasons:

1. The hurricane happened weeks ago, and people need relief now, not later. 5.1 is weeks/months away, and this money is going to be seen as 'too little, too late' by the time you guys actually get the pet up for sale and in game.

2. The way you're explaining the delay makes it seem like you care more about getting 5.1 ready and on live servers, than you do about providing disaster relief for these victims. I understand that Blizzard isn't Fema, and it's not your business to provide disaster relief to victims. This is just something extra you guys are trying to do to help out, by giving us players a meaningful way to contribute to relief efforts. The way you're going about it, however, is all wrong.

You don't need to wait for 5.1 to release before you add this pet to the store and in game. You don't need to wait for 5.1 to donate disaster relief money to these victims. You certainly don't need to wait until you've gotten this vanity pet into the game before you start collecting money.

So if this is the road you guys want to take, then I wouldn't call it unfair for others to respond with large amounts of cynicism.

It's sad that some people need motivation in order to donate, but to spew this much negativity? It makes me feel so sad for you, and utterly disgusted. And you can best bet that with the holidays coming up, I'll be purchasing many kitties to my dearly beloved WoW friends.

People don't need a reason to donate. People need assurance their efforts will be appropriately applied in the right ways, so many people choose to stick with organizations they feel they trust. Not everyone wants to throw a bunch of money at the Red Cross or Fema because it's difficult to say where that money will end up.

But if fans of a gaming company can put their trust in that company, and feel that their donations will actually get where they are intended to go, then that's worth it to those people. The pet is just a symbol of those efforts to help out. It's no different than getting a T-Shirt or a wrist band for making a donation to fight breast cancer or 3rd world poverty.

People are way too tightly wound and overly-analytical these days. It's a good thing Blizz is doing. I don't care how and when, just that they are. It's a nice thing. If people feel they want to get their money to the victims sooner, it's on them, they can do that. Just the fact that Blizz brought this up has made me consider that. I don't necessarily want a reward for giving, or some cool t-shirt when others suffer. However, in this case, its not RL its virtual, you can't exactly take it with you, and really, it's quite self-righteous to be attacking people who are just trying to do a bit of good.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I live in PA. Sandy took out our power from Monday night until Saturday evening. Thankfully, we had a generator so we had heat and were just fine. But a lot of people arent that lucky, and as great as it would be to donate right now this second, donating in a week or two is still going to be just as helpful. Disaster relief doesn't happen over night (think years). After the last few disasters, I would assume most people would recognize that.

I already donated straight to the Red Cross, but Im picking up a couple kittens as soon as they are released. Its a shame there's not a preorder x)
Reply Quote
Actually, people are going to need relief months from now as well. Do you think homes and infrastructure can be reconstructed in two weeks? Disasters can take years to recover from, well after most people have moved on to the next cause du jour and forgotten about those still struggling to rebuild their lives. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that you've never been on the wrong end of a natural disaster if you think that recovery efforts will be over for Sandy by the time 5.1 drops.

I didn't post to say that relief has an expiration date. I posted to point out the source of the cynicism which has flabbergasted our mighty Blue poster. For most people, perception is reality, and in this case, it's not difficult to perceive that disaster relief might be a second priority.

Do I feel that way? No, I think it's great that Blizzard offers a way for us to help out, and I think it's great that we get something out of it, even if that's not the reason we might donate. But I also can't ignore the way Blizzard has discussed this. This situation is one of those things where they would have been much better off not making an announcement until that patch went live. Or at the very least, sorting out a way to get the donation process going as soon as they made the announcement.

It's hard for people to be patient when it comes to helping those in need. This comes across as a fumble on Blizzard's part, no matter their intentions, and that could cause some people to decide not to donate.

11/10/2012 01:58 AMPosted by Fha
Yes, YOU don't need to wait to donate. Don't pass the buck to blizzard, man up and donate NOW, yourself. Unless you work for Blizzard and see EVERYTHING that goes on and know EXACTLY what it takes for them to do this, then shut-up. You're acting like everything can be done RIGHT THIS INSTANT, that all it takes is someone to flip a switch and everything is fixed and done. Be realistic.

I didn't pass the buck to Blizzard. You should read my entire post this time. In it, I point out how Blizzard isn't Fema, and how it's not their job to provide disaster relief. But you wouldn't know that, cuz you didn't bother reading past what you quoted. Nothing you quoted is unreasonable, especially considering the importance of this issue. People want to help out, and they can of course do it in other ways than through Blizzard's promotion.

But that has nothing to do with the issue here, and unfortunately, neither does your post.

11/10/2012 02:35 AMPosted by Shiviska
People are way too tightly wound and overly-analytical these days. It's a good thing Blizz is doing. I don't care how and when, just that they are. It's a nice thing. If people feel they want to get their money to the victims sooner, it's on them, they can do that. Just the fact that Blizz brought this up has made me consider that. I don't necessarily want a reward for giving, or some cool t-shirt when others suffer. However, in this case, its not RL its virtual, you can't exactly take it with you, and really, it's quite self-righteous to be attacking people who are just trying to do a bit of good.

Read above.
Edited by Baeloro on 11/10/2012 4:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Because the kitten was not designed to be a charity issue until Blizzard decided to milk the issue for popularity sake.

If they actually cared about getting money to the Red Cross in support of the hurricane they would:

1) Already have something available.
2) Not be announcing it BEFORE the weeks it is going to take for 5.1 to be launched.

It's a pretty !@#$ty thing to do in order to 'look good' and although many people might think of me negative for saying it, they are just looking for a tax write-off and public karma.

When companies engage in behaviour that we like, we should reinforce them.

They may get a tax deduction - what that means is the money they give reduces their gross taxable income. But, as a for-profit concern, they would still be far better off keeping the entirety of what the pet sales would bring in (pretty much all profit after tax). They aren't obliged to make this or any pet available for charitable purposes. They may also have a separate corporate or workplace matched charitable giving program.

It's a good thing for companies to care about their public image. They modify their behaviour to satify their customers. We want that!

I guess, if I were being super-cynical I would be looking more at us as customers... Why do we need the inducement of a WoW pet to send 10 bucks to the Red Cross? Don't overthink it, imo: you get a free pet, Red Cross gets 10 bucks, A-B gets a pat on the back, ppl in need get assistance.

So yer, TL;DR: when something is good, call it good.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Are we really at the point that people are complaining about DONATING TO CHARITY? Good god. If you people think Blizzard is run by a bunch of cackling, money-grubbing demons who regard a monumental loss of human life as PR, you should probably stop playing their games.

They are well-known contributors to a LOT of charity efforts. If the cinder kitten persuades one person to donate who wouldn't have otherwise, it was a huge success.

Classy move, Blizz. I'm buying one for sure.
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
100 Tauren Paladin

4 Cynical's

I fully understand and see your point Zarhym ol' buddy, but we really need to get you another thesaurus.

Past that, I can't wait to get mine. It'll be the only bright-spot I have as a hunter this x-pac.

I know I used that word a lot. It was just the most appropriate adjective to use without digging into a Thesaurus or breaking the Code of Conduct myself. ;p

I would've been ecstatic if you pulled a GC and just simply called him/her a troll, which he/she is.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
If you want true cynicism, nothing anyone does is ever truly altruistic. They get some emotional satisfaction for helping other people, so that is a benefit to them.

Whether it is a kitten, or a tax deduction, or even if its just the satisfaction of helping someone else.

Even people who lose something and are put into debt, or are not living a fancy life in order to donate to others are still fulfilling some aspect of their lives--in that case, following their moral compass.

No one does anything for no reason. So, please, those of you bashing other people for "needing something in return" shut up and look at the entire scope. Even if there was no kitten attached, people would donate to feel good about themselves that they helped another person.

It's no different other than the fact that it isn't a digital item.
Reply Quote
10 Troll Warlock
11/10/2012 06:18 AMPosted by Kozie
If you want true cynicism, nothing anyone does is ever truly altruistic. They get some emotional satisfaction for helping other people, so that is a benefit to them.
Well, I actually know a bunch of people in the five boroughs. And being unable to get up there myself to knock on their doors and some of them not having cel phones, sending money to the Red Cross helps me do something I can't do personally.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
11/09/2012 07:15 PMPosted by Sanglis
Edit: Just saw Zarhym's post. Great Post Zarhym, you deserve a medal.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Apparently most players are too young to understand how businesses/charities work. It takes time to sort out small amounts of money and deliver them to the right places when your company has many different sources of income and liabilities that must be accounted for. Calm down, enjoy your pet, and help someone out at the same time. Of course blizzard needs SOME income during this to pay the workers who are moving this money from your bank to the charities banks.
Reply Quote
87 Undead Rogue
I love how someone said acronyms are not used these days....LMAO....ROFLT....BRB GTG GGP
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
11/09/2012 07:55 PMPosted by Relena
Zarhym, you're the man.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
11/09/2012 08:04 AMPosted by Ikinai

Keep in mind we have to patch the game to get the pet added, which is what we're doing with Patch 5.1. Unfortunately, it's not at all a trivial process to build a "fast patch" to get the Cinder Kitten in the game before 5.1 is released.

That said, we were extremely anxious to get the announcement put up asap, as we recognize the time-sensitive nature of this charitable cause and wanted to make sure you all were at least made aware to expect it. :)

He's so adorable! Thank you all very much for your enthusiasm around adopting the little fella in the name of supporting the Red Cross, a truly remarkable organization helping to repair lives in the wake of Sandy.

Not sure about others, but I am willing to prepay for it now and wait for it to arrive from Pandaria in order to help my friends back east :)

I like this idea, Blizz, u guys want us to prepay if that helps get money to the Red Cross I'd be willing to do that as well. I trust you guys ;)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Because the kitten was not designed to be a charity issue until Blizzard decided to milk the issue for popularity sake.

If they actually cared about getting money to the Red Cross in support of the hurricane they would:

1) Already have something available.
2) Not be announcing it BEFORE the weeks it is going to take for 5.1 to be launched.

It's a pretty !@#$ty thing to do in order to 'look good' and although many people might think of me negative for saying it, they are just looking for a tax write-off and public karma.

I'm actually really happy that our business practices are nowhere near as cynical as you portray, though it literally makes me sick to my stomach to even read this. If you want to know some background (so you don't have to make it up yourself), the Cinder Kitten was already being set up as a charity pet prior to the hurricane. Once Sandy hit we recognized that we needed to change our plans. But, by that time, it became difficult to do much to change the timetable for getting this pet in the game and on sale. Anyway, with that context, to your points:

1) Already have something available? Like, we should have backup "disaster" pets in the game just waiting to be sold when the next disaster strikes. Tell me how that would be any more difficult for you to spin in some cynical way.

2) I already explained why we announced it. While the pet isn't available yet and the Blizzard Store isn't prepared to take the transactions, we need people to know we're doing this. If an adorable little pet is going to encourage a greater number of donations, I don't see the value in presumptively tearing down Blizzard for cynical PR, nor do I see the value in some of the other posts in this thread belittling people for needing to get something in return for a donation.

It's a situation that's mutually beneficial for Blizzard, our customers, the Red Cross, and those who need disaster relief. If all you want to do is find a way to spin this into some cynical ploy on anyone's behalf, I seriously want you to leave this thread and not come back.

Zarhym=3

SandyMcNegativePoster= ZEEEEEROOOOOOO!!!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]