Cinder Kitten

100 Blood Elf Paladin

In terms of economic theory, the price of a good is determined by both the supply and demand in a market, where the two functions intersect. This is called the equilibrium price. On the supply-side (in the perfect competition model), the firm sells at the price where Marginal Cost of the last unit sold is equal to the Marginal Revenue. This also happens to be at the point where Average Cost is minimized. On the demand side, a purchase decision is made such that the marginal benefit (or marginal utility) of the last unit bought is the same as the price of the good, based on preferences (read desires and necessities) for all goods. What this means, in the context of Blizzard 'leeching' from its consumers, is the players who utilize the transfer/race change/etc services are paying exactly what they're willing or less than what they're willing in order to do so. Aside from that, Blizzard has gone on record as saying the cost is in place to limit the frequency of these changes. In essence, the price prevents people from doing it too much.

Your reasonable and well thought-out post will be "countered" by something with all the intellectual depth of "umadbro?" But thanks for making the effort.

I didn't make the post for those with dubious intentions. Rather, it's for those willing to listen. But thanks for the nod!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
will certainly buy one and be proud my $10. will help even if only in a small way. and just maybe as we parade our kitten around it will remind us of how lucky we are in NOT being the ones who need the help and support. And Blizzard is not the only business to put up some sort of token for your donation. most fund raising groups do. Bottom line is, does it really matter as long as the funding goes to those who need. Buy if you want to help and if you don't your arm is not being twisted to do so.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Priest
Why don't you take pre-orders?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
There is a lot of pages here, I'm gathering we still have no idea when the release will be? I was hoping to be able to gift it to guildies for christmas as a nice way to send some money to the people who will be having pretty dismal christmas'.

Blizz please put it on our launcher when it's released at least?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
It may be just me, being all scrooge mchumbug here,
but I find it amazing that people are willing to shell out money for a pet, simply because they're told the money will go for red cross,
and yet when it comes to shelling out money for red cross directly, they're all
"ahhh... ummm... yeah... I don't know..."

So it's like, people only get charitable if they get something out of it.
Friggin brilliant.

That said, I'll probably buy that and a bunch of other mini pets when it comes out, but NOT because of the giving money to red cross, but because I want the pets.
We already have extended family members who were f***ed by the storm, and the Family is working to get them a new place to live, deal with fema and all other paperwork crapola, insurance companies...
God, I don't know what's worse. The storm, or the buracracy AFTER the storm.

I would gladly like to donate 1 tube of Preparaton H to you sir, it helps with all that butthurt you have going on.
Edited by Vannadra on 11/25/2012 7:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Here's a suggestion:

Come up with a suite of 5-6 charity pets now and patch them into the game early. That way, next time a disaster strikes you can enable one of the pets and get donations immediately.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Here's a suggestion:

Come up with a suite of 5-6 charity pets now and patch them into the game early. That way, next time a disaster strikes you can enable one of the pets and get donations immediately.

My thoughts exactly!
The sooner the relief efforts get the money, the sooner they can help people.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Here's a suggestion:

My thoughts exactly!
The sooner the relief efforts get the money, the sooner they can help people.

No ... people need to understand, the money that is being donated through charities or directly by people is NOT the money being used for the actual relief effort. The money being donated currently is replinishing the money that was already in the Red Cross relief fund account, the Red Cross always has an ample supply of funds for disaster relief. Think about it, what good would it do a relief organization to be waiting and depending on donations at the time of need ? It wouldnt do any good at all, that is why they keep an account with funds so that they can help as soon as the disaster strikes and then receive donations to "restock" the used funds so the organization is prepared for the next crisis.

tl;dr your money is not being used for Sandy relief, get over it.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
Posting my disappointment that the Cinder Kitty was not put in this patch.

That is all.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
ETA = Estimated Time of Arrival

...anyone wanna take a stab at FUBAR?

Frequently, Untamed Bananas Act Retarded
Reply Quote
34 Blood Elf Warrior
Because the kitten was not designed to be a charity issue until Blizzard decided to milk the issue for popularity sake.

If they actually cared about getting money to the Red Cross in support of the hurricane they would:

1) Already have something available.
2) Not be announcing it BEFORE the weeks it is going to take for 5.1 to be launched.

It's a pretty !@#$ty thing to do in order to 'look good' and although many people might think of me negative for saying it, they are just looking for a tax write-off and public karma.

I'm actually really happy that our business practices are nowhere near as cynical as you portray, though it literally makes me sick to my stomach to even read this. If you want to know some background (so you don't have to make it up yourself), the Cinder Kitten was already being set up as a charity pet prior to the hurricane. Once Sandy hit we recognized that we needed to change our plans. But, by that time, it became difficult to do much to change the timetable for getting this pet in the game and on sale. Anyway, with that context, to your points:

1) Already have something available? Like, we should have backup "disaster" pets in the game just waiting to be sold when the next disaster strikes. Tell me how that would be any more difficult for you to spin in some cynical way.

2) I already explained why we announced it. While the pet isn't available yet and the Blizzard Store isn't prepared to take the transactions, we need people to know we're doing this. If an adorable little pet is going to encourage a greater number of donations, I don't see the value in presumptively tearing down Blizzard for cynical PR, nor do I see the value in some of the other posts in this thread belittling people for needing to get something in return for a donation.

It's a situation that's mutually beneficial for Blizzard, our customers, the Red Cross, and those who need disaster relief. If all you want to do is find a way to spin this into some cynical ploy on anyone's behalf, I seriously want you to leave this thread and not come back.

Seriously, this post made me gag on my breakfast. Good on ya for the response, Zarhym.

On another note: In regards to the pet not having been released yet, it is a complex process for them. I agree with another player who had mentioned the corporate hierarchy. A lot of the "trying to get things done" part is just moving it from one person to the next, making sure all the proper departments are notified and aware of what's happening, making sure everyone is covered in whatever ways are necessary, and it can take a bit for the proverbial ball to really get rolling.

One of my family members works as part of a computer software engineering company for medical machinery, so I understand what Blizzard is talking about when they say, "It's difficult." My relative will sometimes sit at home for days (he telecommutes when needed) with nothing to do while waiting for an approval on some small portion of the software because it's going through the chain.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to this pet being released, as I have friends and family where Sandy had hit. It's going to a good cause, and yes, it's replenishing the funds that Red Cross used right away to help the victims of this natural disaster, but it also means that they'll be prepared for something else.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Because the kitten was not designed to be a charity issue until Blizzard decided to milk the issue for popularity sake.

If they actually cared about getting money to the Red Cross in support of the hurricane they would:

1) Already have something available.
2) Not be announcing it BEFORE the weeks it is going to take for 5.1 to be launched.

It's a pretty !@#$ty thing to do in order to 'look good' and although many people might think of me negative for saying it, they are just looking for a tax write-off and public karma.

I'm actually really happy that our business practices are nowhere near as cynical as you portray, though it literally makes me sick to my stomach to even read this. If you want to know some background (so you don't have to make it up yourself), the Cinder Kitten was already being set up as a charity pet prior to the hurricane. Once Sandy hit we recognized that we needed to change our plans. But, by that time, it became difficult to do much to change the timetable for getting this pet in the game and on sale. Anyway, with that context, to your points:

1) Already have something available? Like, we should have backup "disaster" pets in the game just waiting to be sold when the next disaster strikes. Tell me how that would be any more difficult for you to spin in some cynical way.

2) I already explained why we announced it. While the pet isn't available yet and the Blizzard Store isn't prepared to take the transactions, we need people to know we're doing this. If an adorable little pet is going to encourage a greater number of donations, I don't see the value in presumptively tearing down Blizzard for cynical PR, nor do I see the value in some of the other posts in this thread belittling people for needing to get something in return for a donation.

It's a situation that's mutually beneficial for Blizzard, our customers, the Red Cross, and those who need disaster relief. If all you want to do is find a way to spin this into some cynical ploy on anyone's behalf, I seriously want you to leave this thread and not come back.

Folks, let it be known that The Floating Skull of Doom has just earned himself PERMANENT and IRREVOCABLE juicebox priveleges for all eternity with this one single post. AND quintuple Bendy Straws.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Im trying to find out how to actually donate to get the pet. Is it out yet?

Have a few friends Id like to give this pet to as a ingame gift please let me know if you have release date.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

...anyone wanna take a stab at FUBAR?

****** Up Beyond All Recognition. That's an old one. :)
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Kitteh sayz, "I can has cheezeburger now?"
Reply Quote
91 Human Mage
Reminds me of how long it takes when you actually try to adopt a kitten from a shelter.

You have to fill out all this paper work. Have your house checked. I'm not going to eat the damn cat!

I swear adopting human children seems easier by comparison.

As a foster carer for dogs and cats, I'm glad they do this. Too many people want animals for horrid reasons :( Especially around certain holidays, like black cats and Halloween.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/04/2012 07:51 AMPosted by Jecoliah

Keep in mind we have to patch the game to get the pet added, which is what we're doing with Patch 5.1. Unfortunately, it's not at all a trivial process to build a "fast patch" to get the Cinder Kitten in the game before 5.1 is released.

That said, we were extremely anxious to get the announcement put up asap, as we recognize the time-sensitive nature of this charitable cause and wanted to make sure you all were at least made aware to expect it. :)

He's so adorable! Thank you all very much for your enthusiasm around adopting the little fella in the name of supporting the Red Cross, a truly remarkable organization helping to repair lives in the wake of Sandy.

I'll just call BS on this one. You're telling us that a MONTH isn't enough time to patch a pet into the game? A pet that is already in the files? The files that came out with a patch a week ago?

It irks me how this was advertised to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy, and Blizzard got a lot of press from that; but then you've sat on your thumbs and said "well it takes time".

You could have AT THE VERY least taken pre-orders to get some money to them in a reasonable time frame. As it stands, this is more like a regular Red Cross Donation now, not specific disaster release.

The whole thing reeks of dishonesty and shady dealings.

I hate making assumptions but when a company is not making money off something they tend to hold it off until they absolutly have to release it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]