Cinder Kitten

90 Night Elf Rogue
11/08/2012 07:57 PMPosted by Zarhym
I don't know why they don't just release it right away, the sooner its out the sooner people can get the help they need from this

Keep in mind we have to patch the game to get the pet added, which is what we're doing with Patch 5.1. Unfortunately, it's not at all a trivial process to build a "fast patch" to get the Cinder Kitten in the game before 5.1 is released.

That said, we were extremely anxious to get the announcement put up asap, as we recognize the time-sensitive nature of this charitable cause and wanted to make sure you all were at least made aware to expect it. :)

He's so adorable! Thank you all very much for your enthusiasm around adopting the little fella in the name of supporting the Red Cross, a truly remarkable organization helping to repair lives in the wake of Sandy.

Perhaps a pre-order sale now to start funds rolling?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
So a water elemental pet to raise money for the red cross's sandy relief effort would be in bad taste, right?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Because the kitten was not designed to be a charity issue until Blizzard decided to milk the issue for popularity sake.

If they actually cared about getting money to the Red Cross in support of the hurricane they would:

1) Already have something available.
2) Not be announcing it BEFORE the weeks it is going to take for 5.1 to be launched.

It's a pretty !@#$ty thing to do in order to 'look good' and although many people might think of me negative for saying it, they are just looking for a tax write-off and public karma.

I'm actually really happy that our business practices are nowhere near as cynical as you portray, though it literally makes me sick to my stomach to even read this. If you want to know some background (so you don't have to make it up yourself), the Cinder Kitten was already being set up as a charity pet prior to the hurricane. Once Sandy hit we recognized that we needed to change our plans. But, by that time, it became difficult to do much to change the timetable for getting this pet in the game and on sale. Anyway, with that context, to your points:

1) Already have something available? Like, we should have backup "disaster" pets in the game just waiting to be sold when the next disaster strikes. Tell me how that would be any more difficult for you to spin in some cynical way.

2) I already explained why we announced it. While the pet isn't available yet and the Blizzard Store isn't prepared to take the transactions, we need people to know we're doing this. If an adorable little pet is going to encourage a greater number of donations, I don't see the value in presumptively tearing down Blizzard for cynical PR, nor do I see the value in some of the other posts in this thread belittling people for needing to get something in return for a donation.

It's a situation that's mutually beneficial for Blizzard, our customers, the Red Cross, and those who need disaster relief. If all you want to do is find a way to spin this into some cynical ploy on anyone's behalf, I seriously want you to leave this thread and not come back.
Edited by Zarhym on 11/9/2012 7:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Considering how big projects like this needs approval on different levels in a corporate environment, design, 3D modeling, approval, re-design if initial design gets rejected, goes through legal and marketing to make sure this doesn't backfire, web content, Blizzard is doing a fine job in rolling this fiery feline out as fast as they can

Will be getting my fiery kitteh when it's out. From Australia with Love <3

Edit: Just saw Zarhym's post. Great Post Zarhym, you deserve a medal.
Edited by Sanglis on 11/9/2012 7:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Let's consider that patch 4.1 released within about a week or so of rift?
With storm legion coming out on tuesday, I'm anticipating 5.1 to be out by month's end.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Because the kitten was not designed to be a charity issue until Blizzard decided to milk the issue for popularity sake.

If they actually cared about getting money to the Red Cross in support of the hurricane they would:

2) Not be announcing it BEFORE the weeks it is going to take for 5.1 to be launched.

It's a pretty !@#$ty thing to do in order to 'look good' and although many people might think of me negative for saying it, they are just looking for a tax write-off and public karma.

I'm actually really happy that our business practices are nowhere near as cynical as you portray, though it literally makes me sick to my stomach to even read this. If you want to know some background (so you don't have to make it up yourself), the Cinder Kitten was already being set up as a charity pet prior to the hurricane. Once Sandy hit we recognized that we needed to change our plans. But, by that time, it became difficult to do much to change the timetable for getting this pet in the game and on sale. Anyway, with that context, to your points:

1) Already have something available? Like, we should have backup "disaster" pets in the game just waiting to be sold when the next disaster strikes. Tell me how that would be any more difficult for you to spin in some cynical way.

2) I already explained why we announced it. While the pet isn't available yet and the Blizzard Store isn't prepared to take the transactions, we need people to know we're doing this. If an adorable little pet is going to encourage a great number of donations, I don't see the value in presumptively tearing down Blizzard for cynical PR, nor do I see the value in some of the other posts in this thread belittling people for needing to get something in return for a donation.

It's a situation that's mutually beneficial for Blizzard, our customers, the Red Cross, and those who need disaster relief. If all you want to do is find a way to spin this into some cynical ploy on anyone's behalf, I seriously want you to leave this thread and not come back.

This is the best post on the whole forum today. I salute you, Zarhym.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
You never addressed the idea of preorder or did you? Did you all ever think of a preorder option to get the funds raised ahead of the actual content release? Like during a meeting about the pet or however it is you plan content.
Edited by Mælstromedos on 11/9/2012 7:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

2) I already explained why we announced it. While the pet isn't available yet and the Blizzard Store isn't prepared to take the transactions, we need people to know we're doing this. If an adorable little pet is going to encourage a great number of donations, I don't see the value in presumptively tearing down Blizzard for cynical PR, nor do I see the value in some of the other posts in this thread belittling people for needing to get something in return for a donation.

4 Cynical's

I fully understand and see your point Zarhym ol' buddy, but we really need to get you another thesaurus.

Past that, I can't wait to get mine. It'll be the only bright-spot I have as a hunter this x-pac.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I agree with Sanglis. Great post Zarhym well said.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
11/09/2012 07:14 PMPosted by Zarhym
If all you want to do is find a way to spin this into some cynical ploy on anyone's behalf, I seriously want you to leave this thread and not come back.

INC BANHAMMER

Well, not really, but I get the intent I guess.

11/09/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Purifico
Past that, I can't wait to get mine. It'll be the only bright-spot I have as a hunter this x-pac.

And here I was spending some time away from the game trying to forget that we're the lowest dps class this expac (lets not even go near pvp).... and you had to remind me -_-
Reply Quote
51 Draenei Monk

2) I already explained why we announced it. While the pet isn't available yet and the Blizzard Store isn't prepared to take the transactions, we need people to know we're doing this. If an adorable little pet is going to encourage a greater number of donations, I don't see the value in presumptively tearing down Blizzard for cynical PR, nor do I see the value in some of the other posts in this thread belittling people for needing to get something in return for a donation.

Why can't I like your post?!

By the by, I planned on getting the cinder kitten even if it wasn't for a charitable cause. I just consider the donated proceeds to be an added bonus that benefits the victims of Sandy.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Rogue
contemptuous, derisive, ironic, misanthropic, misanthropical, mocking, pessimistic, sarcastic, sardonic, scoffing, scornful, skeptical, sneering, suspicious, unbelieving, wry

All of the above. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Blizzard doesn't have to do anything, but because they're a good company, they do what they can, when they can. They give often to charities. In-game stuff takes time to implement. The fact that they're doing this at all should be applauded, and anyone who says otherwise should reevaluate their CYNICAL opinion. It's abhorrent.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

Can you just revoke that dudes ability to play the game and post on the forums please.

Those kind of people need to be removed from the community.
Reply Quote
70 Worgen Druid
Most of you are being hypocrites. If you actually cared about the hurricane relief effort you wouldn't need a pet to buy on the blizzard store in order to donate. Now that Blizzard has announced that 100% of the funds are going to the Sandy relief you all act like it needs to be up right away to get the funds to the red cross, but you can't/wont go to red cross or other relief sites to donate directly. Why do you need to have a pet to donate to help out?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I will buy this awesome pet, the charity is a nice benefit. Good move Blizz.
Reply Quote
51 Draenei Monk
11/09/2012 07:31 PMPosted by Boomgothetnt
Most of you are being hypocrites. If you actually cared about the hurricane relief effort you wouldn't need a pet to buy on the blizzard store in order to donate. Now that Blizzard has announced that 100% of the funds are going to the Sandy relief you all act like it needs to be up right away to get the funds to the red cross, but you can't/wont go to red cross or other relief sites to donate directly. Why do you need to have a pet to donate to help out?

I planned on buying the pet anyway. And I've already made a meager donation towards Super Storm Sandy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I definitely agree with many of the points from both Zarhym and the community against these negative viewpoints. 100% of the transactions from Blizzard are going to Red Cross and their efforts. And being as the pet, Cinder Kitten is probably the most adorable digital animal I have ever seen.. I will back Blizzard to the fullest on this idea. They "can" do a lot with the funds they will be getting from Cinder Kitten's sales. Hell, maybe even fund (if enough sold) to help rebuild the major few blocks in Queens that got burned to the ground in a Retro like War photo.

-Side note: I have a buddy at work tell me how that area went down from a resident perspective from one of his cousins there. They noticed their house was on fire so they hopped over to the next house next door, which also caught ablaze. So they proceeded to the house across the street for refuge from Sandy.. within minutes that house too caught fire and so on as they literally house hopped. From what i was told, the fire moved too fast down that block do even rest.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Glad to see that Blizzard is continuing the tradition of offering pets for charity. It is a nice way for the community of gamers to give to a good cause and getting a pet is a nice perk in a very popular game. The pet will show everyone that you cared to donate money to the red cross... SO HAVE THOSE KITTIES FOLLOW YOU WITH PRIDE! :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]