Forcing players to AFK until they are geared

90 Goblin Shaman
11/09/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Daxxarri
It seems that use of the AFK reporting feature has dropped off considerably
From what I've seen and heard, it's because a good deal of bg's only have 1-2 actual people...
Reply Quote
99 Night Elf Priest
The current system is akin to griefing/hazing... call it a barrier to entry. Those encamped have already joined the fight club.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I remember this time I entered a BG without much by way of PvP gear, I saw this dastardly Alliance player and was preparing to engage in a round of good-natured fisticuffs with that rapscallion. As I was about to tap him on the shoulder a Blizzard employee descended from the heavens and said, "No. I shan't allow to fight that person in your current gear. You go stand over there and do nothing until your gear is better."
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
It is a great help to us when players use the reporting tools that we've included in the game, though. It seems that use of the AFK reporting feature has dropped off considerably, which is unfortunate, because it really does play a direct and active role in our investigations

Hm, that is interesting. I wonder why that is. Couple possibilities:

-Less active players that can report (suggested earlier in this thread)

-Less people are AFKing because they can blacklist the BGs they don't want and try more in the ones they do

-Those that want to AFK will not blacklist AV or IOC, and those BGs get blacklisted a lot, so their chances of getting them are high. Generally people don't get reported in 40 manners anywhere near as much.

-Honor gear is finished off rather quickly, and people aren't as serious about winning or accruing honor, so they don't report, or finishing it off is so easy that botting isn't as prevalent

-Its difficult to tell who is AFKing in a lot of BGs, including the newer ones, Silvershard Mines especially

It's probably a combination of several of these factors.
Edited by Digerati on 11/9/2012 1:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Speed bumps rofl sounds like quality PvP design
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
My main issue is that grinding BGs is long and tedious. It also doesn't help being a fresh 90 in a BG. Yeah, Crafted gear helps but it only does so much. I wish that Honor was Account Bound. My Priest was honor capped for a while and I had nothing to spend it on. It would have been awesome if I could have sent some of that over to my Paladin or someone. I ended up buying old gear to X-Mog just to spend the honor.
Reply Quote
35 Orc Warrior
11/09/2012 01:38 PMPosted by Kegg
It seems that use of the AFK reporting feature has dropped off considerably
From what I've seen and heard, it's because a good deal of bg's only have 1-2 actual people...

This! and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t3NBu_E3Bk&feature=youtu.be
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Priest
Could've bought gems to sell....
Reply Quote
1 Human Paladin
And account at risk for AFKing? That made me laugh. Tell the other half of the team chillin out that as well cause its happening alot. Which ruins the game for the rest of us so yeah lets see some action on those afk bots. Not just words.

We are constantly working to ensure that PvP is fair and fun, and it this is an important issue to us.

It is a great help to us when players use the reporting tools that we've included in the game, though. It seems that use of the AFK reporting feature has dropped off considerably, which is unfortunate, because it really does play a direct and active role in our investigations. Ultimately, cynicism doesn't help us catch the offenders. And yes, I realize that bots will clear the AFK flag by getting into combat. Rest assured that the reports can still help.

There is a cause-effect loop here draxxari. I can't say 100% that apparent apathy from blizzard has caused the lack of reports. But from reading the boards and my (admittedly) minimal experience in bg's lately I'd have to say players feel using the report button is useless.

Its become all too common of an occurrence to find afk'ers. When it is a seemingly overwhelming tide, players feel, "why bother."

I don't honestly know which came first, the chicken or the egg, lack of report or the lack of action on the report. But blizzard has the ability to reverse the trend and restore player faith. Fast, decisive and PUBLIC information about this.

It would be nice to see a scenario like this:

BG: guys report joesmith as afk, he hasn't left the gy in 5 mins

A few mins later all players get the following raid-type warning over the bg:
JOESMITH HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THE BATTLEGROUND FOR AFK

You are not telling us if you are punishing him. You are not telling us if any real action was taken against him. But you are making it clear that afk'ing is not being rewarded and making it clear that reporting them is.

We don't need to see: Joesmith removed from bg for the 8th time. He is now being banned for a week. Or Joesmiths 3rd removal for afk he is being stripped of HP.

Just a fast response and how it affects the bg we are actually in. Nothing more.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
11/09/2012 01:05 PMPosted by Howlyberry
There is crafted PvP gear that can help players get off on the right foot.

Please tell me you're joking.

Not only is the crafted pvp gear pretty much garbage to begin with (it'll turn you from a wet paper towel to a wet paper bag) but it's not exceedingly common from my experience. You geniuses had the bright idea to make that trash cost harmonies to buy. Good luck finding a crafter who effectively threw away 8 harmonies to get all of the pieces you'll need instead of using them to make useful gear for themselves or sell in making gear useful for others (476 epics ring a bell?).

It's absolutely staggering how out of touch blizz is with reality in this game sometimes.

A lot of players bought those patterns at the start of the expansion to get a leg up on gear and make dungeons and raids easier before they got the drops they needed, because resilience and pvp power don't take away from the stats on items anymore. Plus it's a one time investment of a Harmony that can then be used to craft items that are extremely cheap to produce, but (at least last time I checked about two weeks ago) still sell for a pretty decent amount on the auction house. In fact, I've probably made more raw profit over time from listing the blue pvp crafted stuff on the AH than I have from the 476 epics, especially now that LFR is out and more people are reaching revered with reps and getting enough VP that they feel like they can get by without the crafted stuff. And every time I want to sell a 476 epic or an epic spellthread, it costs me an additional harmony. Any time I want to sell a new crafted pvp item it just costs me cloth (of which I have more than enough).

Between your guild mates and the auction house, you shouldn't have much trouble putting together a full set of the 450 crafted stuff, and the resil and pvp power on the items still goes a long way compared to the 429 greens with no resil you got from leveling. And when you're still working on your honor set, at one point you'll have both the 4 piece bonuses.
Reply Quote
93 Draenei Death Knight
11/09/2012 12:34 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Getting beat down in a few hits is never fun in PVP. Dont let me hear "But I try anyways" because that is just crap. What's fun about trying when you die in a few hits anyways? REMOVE HONOR CAP BEFORE WE REACH MAX LEVEL ALREADY!

There is crafted PvP gear that can help players get off on the right foot. Actually participating in a Battleground increases your team's likelihood of winning (even under-geared players can CC, heal, or even just act as speed bumps - if you genuinely believe that you can't help in other ways, damage you are taking is still damage a team mate isn't taking). By participating, a player can accrue honorable kills, which nets more Honor. Under-geared players can also make a point of sticking with larger groups - there is safety in numbers, and getting lost in the crowd can help you stay alive long enough to make a difference.

There's a handy little guide on things you can do to give yourself an edge over on [url="http://www.arenajunkies.com/news/539-mists-of-pandaria-level-90-pvp-preparation/"]Arena Junkies[/url].

Facing the challenges involved with PvPing versus more well geared players is something that nearly all players face in Battlegrounds. There is never call to violate the terms of service and put your account (and any gear you've acquired by exploiting) at risk by AFKing in Battlegrounds.

Afking in a BG is a violation of the terms of service? I didn't even know that!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It is a great help to us when players use the reporting tools that we've included in the game, though. It seems that use of the AFK reporting feature has dropped off considerably, which is unfortunate, because it really does play a direct and active role in our investigations. Ultimately, cynicism doesn't help us catch the offenders. And yes, I realize that bots will clear the AFK flag by getting into combat. Rest assured that the reports can still help.

regarding the drop-off in reporting AFK, I think it's because there's no feedback when we report it. In an LFD or LFR, a vote-kick has an immediate response, and benefit. The problem player is immediately removed and a new palyer is brought in. When Report AFK is done, the sophisticated bots can counter it by getting into combat.

Report AFK should be made more like vote-kick.

Either that or tell us when the people we report AFK are banned for botting. Give people feedback that the reporting they do is being seen and heeded. People need positive reinforcement or else they think they're yelling into the void.
Edited by Shalhoub on 11/9/2012 2:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
11/09/2012 12:49 PMPosted by Daxxarri
Fighting other players who out gear me helps me improve my skill level a little bit more each time.

I realize it's not for everyone, but I find this particularly compelling. Sure, it's fun on occasion feeling like a wrecking ball, but nothing matches the rush of taking down an obviously more well-geared player via superior skill or tactics.

AMEN brotha!

I learned this a long time ago back in Classic the first time I brought down a Horde ganker when he had a Molten Core weapon and I was a relatively fresh 60.

There is nothing better than beating an opponent because you're skilled and he's just geared.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Rogue
Daxxarri,

The problem i see with your system is simple. You want players to do something hundreds of times for which there is no incentive. Reporting a bot feels as though it does nothing. We get no feedback, and see no end to the bots.

Now I understand and respect the rights of privacy, but a monthly tally on total accounts banned for botting would be vague enough, and give people a sense that there is an actual result taking place, and doubly, might be a deterrent to would-be's.
Edited by Freemarket on 11/9/2012 2:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Please tell me you're joking.

Not, I'm not joking, nor were the other players who suggested it as one of several options. It exists, and it can help plug gaps in gear while earning points for better gear. If the concern is walking into PvP and getting steamrolled until you can earn Honor or Conquest gear, it's still a step in the right direction.

Edit: Somewhat off-topic, I'm already regretting glibly using the term 'speed bump'. It's much more than that - getting in the face of the enemy, playing smart, using interrupts, and generally being a nuisance can actually have a significant effect on a battle, even if the player falls in the process.

Daxx don't worry I get what you meant.

Most players in BGs don't understand nor care about playing as part of a team. PvP to them isn't fun unless they're the ones slaughtering the freshly geared players in 1v1 or 2v1 situations.

For all of us that actually enjoy battlegrounds or enjoy the thrill of real PvP your message is resonating perfectly.
Edited by Vindicare on 11/9/2012 2:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
11/09/2012 01:09 PMPosted by Competitor
Then how would you get: http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=161

Resilient Victory?

That's practically impossible to get without forming a premade against a random team. Much like Stormpike Perfection.

I've played a fair number of Arathi Basins on my various characters, probably upwards of 300 games total. I never got Resilient Victory until I gave in, and joined a premade for it.

If you somehow manage to get that on accident, it's most likely you fell into a partial premade that was going for it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I learned this a long time ago back in Classic the first time I brought down a Horde ganker when he had a Molten Core weapon and I was a relatively fresh 60.

There is nothing better than beating an opponent because you're skilled and he's just geared.

Well, that, or you're playing a class or spec that dominates him no matter the gear. *shrug*

It's not like this game is balanced now. From what I hear, it was far from that in Vanilla.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think that the balance is very wrong in PvP.

Blizzard have worked very hard in making high-end PvE accessible to everyone, so I don't understand how or why PvP has such a steep curve.

The minute you hit 90 you have to compete against maximum geared players in battlegrounds. It is similar to having to immediately face heroic end game bosses without having any chance to gear up first.

Very frustrating and it puts casual and PvE focused players off PvP. It is doubly frustrating because world PvP is becomoing more of a feature and PvEers have no chance against these max geared PvPers.

The PvP game is an absolute disaster because Blizzard have some pipe-dream about making WoW a sport. They need to focus on creating a genuine progression in PvP, so that people coming into the game are matched against people their own level and not dominated by over-geared players.

Guilds are strugling to put RBG teams together because the time required to gear up a PvP character to a point where they even have a semblence of a chance, is completely prohibitive.

Until they design a better system for PvP they will have players Afking or just wandering around in a BG, because they are absolutely no use, even if they do fight.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
11/09/2012 12:36 PMPosted by Petwru
Honestly, WHY get farmed all day when you're sitting on the gold to change that. WHY put yourself through that misery?

Because honour is free and easy to come by.

That and I play a spec that doesn't need PvP gear to do well when facing stupid people (at least until 5.1 rolls around and makes it so that DKs can't flag carry anymore).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]