Fire Mage dps raiding

90 Pandaren Mage
ok so i have recently switched to fire spec. i have learned the rotation and have an i lvl of like 478?
the question i am asking is... i see on world of logs that fire mages are getting over 100k dps, why is it that i am getting nothing close to that? am i using combustion wrong? am i stacking the wrong stats? please fire mages if you are pulling high dps help me out. Thanks!
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Your stats are completely broken. You have spirit gear on and are reforging in and out of everything.

2x Crit > Int > Hit > Crit > Haste > Mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
i realize that i have 1 ring that has spirit yea. tryin to get something better still.
how am i supposed to get twice as much crit?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I'm having the same problem as Zzippo. My iLvl is 480 but as fire I can't get above 65-70k in 10 mans sometimes....is that normal? I optimized my gear to 100% on askmrrobot too.

I've seen fire mages with the same if not worse gear get up to 80-100k...
Edited by Dirkdiggla on 11/14/2012 12:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
Missing weapon enchant? When Windsong procs you get a big boost to crit.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Crit is a fire mage's best secondary stat, but it seems like you're trying to avoid it. That's why your DPS is terrible.
Edited by Torturedsol on 11/14/2012 12:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
@Zzippo..You're missing a Major Glyph, I would suggest Combustion. No enchant on your weapon or wrist. Straight Intell gems are dropping your Crit to a REALLY low level for a fire mage. +intell/crit would serve you better. Your reforging is a mess, all that extra Haste should be rolled to Crit. You even reforged out of Crit for some reason which is beyond me.

@ Dirkdiggla...Your haste is to low, should be 3059 with the Glyph for the extra tick. Other than that it has to be more of a rotation problem since the rest doesn't look to bad.

@Librily...From what I can see your setup doesn't look bad at all so it has to be a rotation issue. Not using TW or Combuste enough maybe?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
the way it works out any time you have over 10k and pyroblast dot is up, unless you are aware of a particular big burn phase coming up within 20 seconds or so ( IE Lust)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
ok so i have recently switched to fire spec. i have learned the rotation and have an i lvl of like 478?
the question i am asking is... i see on world of logs that fire mages are getting over 100k dps, why is it that i am getting nothing close to that? am i using combustion wrong? am i stacking the wrong stats? please fire mages if you are pulling high dps help me out. Thanks!

Just looking from your armory.

- Your reforged incorrectly for fire its int>crit>haste (your haste is way to high and your missing 10% crit).

- Your missing glyph of combustion which is huge for burn phase and pre pull pot combustion (ticks twice as long for those initial 50-60k ignites).

- Some of your gear isn't enchanted and your using pvp gear and too many cheese epics (thats a huge dps loss).

- Fire is much different than frost you have alot more things to track you'll get it over time. You should first fix your gear and glyphs.
Edited by Blâze on 11/14/2012 4:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
11/14/2012 03:18 PMPosted by Librily
@Librily...From what I can see your setup doesn't look bad at all so it has to be a rotation issue. Not using TW or Combuste enough maybe?

I suspect there could be a combustion issue. More specifically, waiting too often for too long for 20k ignites instead of accepting smaller ones. My thinking was with the glyph I should be really patient for that big ignite, but I am possibly being too patient.

To be honest with you though, I actually think my current problem is invocation has not been my friend. Mssing it too much, not planning it right, etc.

Thank you for your gear approval.

Probably a combo of both. Don't wait for that "big" ignite it will usually cost you one or to per boss. Just know a big one will usually only come with some type of combo of pots, TW, AT extra. Without those just look for a decent one. Don't forget that even though it feels like you are dumping DPS by not casting when using Invo it's a DPS gain to make sure it's up all the time, even with the loss of casting time.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage

Just looking from your armory.

- Your reforged incorrectly for fire its int>crit>haste (your haste is way to high and your missing 10% crit).

- Your missing glyph of combustion which is huge for burn phase and pre pull pot combustion (ticks twice as long for those initial 50-60k ignites).

- Some of your gear isn't enchanted and your using pvp gear and too many cheese epics (thats a huge dps loss).

- Fire is much different than frost you have alot more things to track you'll get it over time. You should first fix your gear and glyphs.

alright so it turns out i'm an idiot and i didnt realize you could change your spec on askmrrobot.com. i was wondering why it kept wanting me to stack haste. and what do you mean by cheese epics?

another question for all of you. what addons do you use for fire dps? i have combustion helper but that doesnt really show me how much my ignites are.

thanks everyone for helping. doin much better already
Reply Quote
Also this is just my predictions but most of the 100k+ dps on world of logs

are due to the boss mechanics.

E.g. Elegon - you get 10% x # of orbs you kill damage increase on the boss

so by the last burning phase, you usually have like 80% damage increase against the boss

Also fights like Stone Guard when you can 'Infernal Blast spread' your DoTs

(Pyro, Combustion, Living Bomb, Ignite etc) to the other target, you can also

increase your dps significantly

I think I've been reading around that with decent MSV raiding gear

if you know your rotatations and class (without 2 piece Tier-14 buff)

you should pull around 60k-65k dps
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
Additionally Fire has one of the highest variances in DPS fight to fight depending on how lucky you get with crit. The top logs are going to be not only the best geared most skilled players, but those great players who also got really lucky on a single fight. Your best bet to know if you are performing on par is to sim yourself out and see how your fight to fight dps compares to the sim. Also there's not really a true patchwork benchmark fight that doesn't have some sort of damage debuff or buff so it's hard to normalize from fight to fight.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
11/14/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Peppeppe
@Zzippo..You're missing a Major Glyph, I would suggest Combustion.

I started back work on my mage after a break for family issues, so I'm not far along yet.
That said, I've found that I don't like this glyph, let me explain why.

If more frequent adds on a fight then having a combustion ready quicker is good because now your doing the damage on multiple targets each time, versus multiple targets every other time they come out.
Same for encounters with target swaps.

Fishing for the best ignite means that some ignites and hence combustions will be better than others. With two combustions during the same period as one, it tends to average out the DPS.

It is possible with the duration of the fight, before it ends, to have for example two glyphed combustions or five non-glyphed combustions (ends before a person would use a third glyphed) and in that case the non-glyphed would probably do more damage.

The glyph itself really does not increase the total damage over a total fight, other than the extra global cooldown.
Perhaps I'm missing something here, which is quite possible, but really it does not seem like the glyph is an automatic DPS increase and in some cases might be a DPS decrease.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Here's a quick question:

1. Is it better to use an instant Pyro ASAP

or

2. Cast fireball with the instant Pyro waiting, then cast the instant Pyro immediately after the fireball casts?

Which method is better in your guys' opinion?
Edited by Dirkdiggla on 11/15/2012 1:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
@Nert...I agree there are pros and cons to the Glyph but only on trash imo. Boss fights are just to long so you should get a full run of combustion. I would disagree on the average though but it does depend on the fantastic RNG aspect of fire. From my test, mostly LFR which isn't a real test anyway, Glyph'd has done higher damage. Either way not have a Major glyph of some type is a DPS loss.

As to the point of increasing total damage over an entire fight that goes back to the size of the ignite.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
Here's a quick question:

1. Is it better to use an instant Pyro ASAP

or
2. Cast fireball with the instant Pyro waiting, then cast the instant Pyro immediately after the fireball casts?

Which method is better in your guys' opinion?

If your asking if you should stop casting a fireball to cast a proc'd Pyro then the answer is no. You don't ever want to stop a cast if you don't have to. If your asking should you cast a fireball after you have pulled a pyro with IB from heating up then the answer is no, not sure why you would ever do that in the first place though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]