5.1.0 Frost Mage PVE Guide

90 Human Mage
When casting frozen orb, be careful you dont cast it when the tank is still getting in position. The orb will keep travelling fast until it finds a target. If it starts attacking the boss it will slow down, and if the tank is still getting him in position he could kite him away from the orb(if you didnt already know). Also, on feng be careful not to cast orb during epicenter as most of the orb ticks will miss and be wasted. I havn't had the problem of orb going through a target before so I am guessing its due to epicenter and missing. Also be careful not to pop any cooldowns or on use trinkets during or just before epicenter.

Epicenter can really hurt your dps if you aren't careful. Epicenter is a good time to be using things like your incanters ward or evocation for invocation buff, then you want to spam frostbolts to try and prevent your stacks from dropping. Also if you are in the bubble provided by the encounter, the epicenter doesn't make you miss.

Frost can easily compete with other specs, it just takes a bit of practice and clever use of cooldowns. Keep practicing and ask questions.
Edited by Inferno on 10/27/2012 10:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Nice Guide

Glad someone made one for frost.

Request for sticky!
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Mage
Water Jet in 5.1 will help a bit with the FOF procs, adding an additional 2.4 PPM guaranteed (assuming you use it well!).

All told, in any given 60-second period, you should have:

- 2.4 PPM from Freeze (replaced by 4.8 PPM from Water Jet in 5.1)
- 1.0 PPM from Frozen Orb
- Approximately one proc per 8.33 Frostbolts (random)
- Approximately one additional proc per Frozen Orb (random)

All told, it should add up to something like 5-6 PPM right now, 7-8 in 5.1. On top of that, you should be getting about 5-7 PPM on Brain Freeze. On average, you should be looking at a reactive button to push roughly every 5-6 seconds (obviously sometimes more, sometimes less).
90 Human Mage
I wasn't planning on talking about future patch info until the time came, but since it is out there, water jet will be a nice addition to the frost spec and will definetally be better than the pet freeze. Also, haste will be even more valuable with this pet ability. The only time you wouldn't use the water jet is if you want a couple of fast fof procs via freeze to do some burst damage. I will elaborate on this subject once the content is released.
Edited by Inferno on 10/27/2012 2:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
2. Stats & Gear

Stat Priority: Int>15% hit>Haste>Crit to shatter cap(28%)>Mastery>Crit

confused?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
2. Stats & Gear

Stat Priority: Int>15% hit>Haste>Crit to shatter cap(28%)>Mastery>Crit

confused?

The reason crit is shown twice is because once you get to the shatter cap, crit drops well under mastery in value.

Raid bosses have a mechanic that reduces your crit chance on them by 3%. This 3% is applied to your base crit so:

(28-3) x 2 + 50 = 100%

You shouldn't have to worry about the shatter cap for a while due to gear levels and haste being worth more.
Edited by Inferno on 10/27/2012 5:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
How much crit is needed for the shatter cap?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Exactly what it says, 28%.
Reply Quote
As in, numbers. How many critical strike point/rating/whatever do I need to reach the 28%
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
That includes the crit percentage you get from arcane brilliance.

So you need 23% from intellect and crit rating. The amount of crit rating you need depends on your intellect, so it will change per person. Getting the raid crit cap is less important than getting haste at the moment.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Can't wait for frost to dominate PvE in addition to PvP. Great. Nerf frost damage.
Reply Quote
Bump for awesomeness, sticky needed
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Sticky requested
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Sticky bump!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Don't forget to sticky this thread! Simply go to the top of the page, and on the right-hand corner, above the page numbers, click on "Request Sticky".
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
make this sticky

edit : found this presence of mind(if talented) macro from icy-veins website. I was thinking of coupling PoM with either Frost Bomb or Frost bolt. But what I am thinking is if I cast this macro at the beginning of the fight how bad it will affect the tank, since the bolt reduces movement speed of target. But I think there is a slight dps increase in dps due to pet water bolt will hit with 1 stack of Frost Bolt.

I dont think bomb will put slow until it explodes which is good 5 secs.

Just want to know your thoughts

#showtooltip Frost Bolt
/script UIErrorsFrame:Hide()
/cast Presence of Mind
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()
/script UIErrorsFrame:Show()
/cast Frost Bolt
Edited by Paratoxin on 11/5/2012 12:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Please, people who build guides. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF PETE.

In MoP stat priorities are NOT helpful to simply put as:

Int > Hit+Exp (to cap) > Haste > Crit > Mastery.

This is a RUBBISH way to do it, and it exposes a complete lack of knowledge of how a MoP Gem works. It is absolutely useless.

On the other hand:

2 x Hit+Exp (to cap) > Int > Hit+Exp (to cap) > 2 x Haste > 2 X Crit > Haste > Crit > Mastery

Is actually better and you can actually make intellegent gem choices based on this.

Because, you see, gems give you 2Xstats now. Have you seen them? Might want to adjust stat priorities based on them. You know. Kinda important, this.

(Note: stat priorities given above are just examples and may or may not resemble actual frost priorities)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
The purpose of a stat priority list like that is to compare each stat in absolute terms. Your distinction could be made in the gemming section, which I'll be sure to include in my guide, but that main one just pertains to stats in general, such as reforging and enchanting. Even if gems do give double the value of secondary stats, it still yields important understanding of the spec if the usual stat-priority is laid out, to lay out at least a theoretical base.
Reply Quote
Please, people who build guides. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF PETE.

In MoP stat priorities are NOT helpful to simply put as:

Int > Hit+Exp (to cap) > Haste > Crit > Mastery.

This is a RUBBISH way to do it, and it exposes a complete lack of knowledge of how a MoP Gem works. It is absolutely useless.

On the other hand:

2 x Hit+Exp (to cap) > Int > Hit+Exp (to cap) > 2 x Haste > 2 X Crit > Haste > Crit > Mastery

Is actually better and you can actually make intellegent gem choices based on this.

Because, you see, gems give you 2Xstats now. Have you seen them? Might want to adjust stat priorities based on them. You know. Kinda important, this.

(Note: stat priorities given above are just examples and may or may not resemble actual frost priorities)

The problem is that stat weights scale in a way that the gem priority can change depending on current levels of Intellect. You have to Sim to know which is better at a given moment.
Edited by Mageski on 11/6/2012 7:49 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]