5.1.0 Frost Mage PVE Guide

100 Worgen Mage

confused?

The reason crit is shown twice is because once you get to the shatter cap, crit drops well under mastery in value.

Raid bosses have a mechanic that reduces your crit chance on them by 3%. This 3% is applied to your base crit so:

(28-3) x 2 + 50 = 100%

You shouldn't have to worry about the shatter cap for a while due to gear levels and haste being worth more.

It isn't calculated that way, though. It adjusts your modified crit chance rather than your base crit chance.

This is the formula: ( Base Crit * 2 ) + 50 - 3 = Shatter Crit chance

(26.5*2) + 50 - 3 = 100%

So 26.5% base crit is your soft cap.
Edited by Ruki on 11/6/2012 8:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
96 Draenei Mage
I just started my mage and I really like it and just wanted to say thanks for all the comments and the guide its been really helpful :D
Edited by Trivium on 11/6/2012 8:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
I was having an issue with my frostbolt healing my pet when my target died or if i accidentally clicked on a friendly target.

I spam my nuke (frostbolt) and sometimes I would lose an entire cast because I would atuotarget my pet before I could tab target or click a new target when my current target died (but I'd never notice because it takes less than 1/2 second to switch targets) and the cast would heal my pet instead of attacking. It got really annoying.

After toying around I got this macro to work:

#showtooltip
/petattack
/target [nomod] water elemental [mod] water elemental
/target [nomod, @targettarget, exists] [mod, water elemental]
/cast frostbolt

It's helpful for not losing that one cast from auto targeting your pet when your current target is dead, or if you accidentally target a friendly player in a raid while clicking to move or whatever. It also allows you use any modifier (shift, ctrl or alt) to actually cast at your pet and heal it.

I hope this helps someone out; it took me a few weeks of searching for a macro that solved my problem and I couldn't find one, so I had to make my own.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
/cast [@pet, mod][exists, harm] Frostbolt
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Mage
It isn't calculated that way, though. It adjusts your modified crit chance rather than your base crit chance.

This is the formula: ( Base Crit * 2 ) + 50 - 3 = Shatter Crit chance

(26.5*2) + 50 - 3 = 100%

So 26.5% base crit is your soft cap.

This isn't true. Crit depression is factored in before Shatter. You have the idea right, but the formula slightly wrong, ie.
(modified crit - 3) * 2 + 50

Hence, 28% is really what you're aiming for.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Bump. With the Fire nerfs, lets show Frost some love! And of course don't forget to sticky the guide.
Edited by Coopthefat on 12/5/2012 12:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Just to clarify the shatter cap formula:

(crit - 3) * 2 + 50

crit = your total crit % displayed in your character window after you are fully buffed.
You also subtract 3% crit because raid bosses have a -3% chance to be crit on.

assuming you have 28% crit when buffed:

Of course following the rules of BEDMAS

(28 - 3) * 2 + 50
(25) * 2 + 50
50 + 50 = 100%

You subtract the 3% crit before you modify your crit with the shatter talent. The shatter talent doubles your crit and then adds 50%.

You still benefit from crit after the 28% cap, but the benefit is minimal.
Edited by Inferno on 12/22/2012 6:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Looked at Zonker from Blood Legion who appears to have gotten haste to 20% (with frost armor) then started moving all secondary stats into mastery and foregoing crit. This seems to contradict the stat priority all together. I know 20% haste is the soft cap with heroism but I'm curious why a high end mage would ignore crit?
Edited by Aveyai on 12/27/2012 12:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
10/26/2012 05:15 PMPosted by Inferno
Temporal Shield - 25s cd and lasts for 4s. While the 4s buff lasts, it records every bit of damage you take, then once it expires it puts a 6s hot on u that heals the total damage u took in those 4s. Very high survivabilty move if timed properly and can even out heal cauterize if you have it talented and took enough damage. Especially good for taking large hits like the overloads on the stone guard boss. Note that this move is off the global cooldown, so there is no dps loss at all in using this ability. Also usable while stunned, feared etc. Easily the best for raiding once you know the fights and when to expect large amounts of damage.

THANK YOU.

I tried it out today and it was just amazing. 10x better than Ice Barrier in Raids.

Cheers.
Reply Quote
Should we still be saving a charge of FoF if possible?
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
12/29/2012 05:52 AMPosted by Duhgee
Should we still be saving a charge of FoF if possible?

Saving 1 charge of FoF can be beneficial for when you have to move. This allows you to maintain high dps for a little longer before having to spam low damage moves like scorch. It's just a small dps gain when moving but it is worth practicing for sure. It also has other uses like maybe saving that FoF to deepfreeze an add as soon as it spawns for example. Of course, dont worry about saving a charge if for example you have a frozen orb out, as you will more than likely overgenerate them which is bad.
Edited by Inferno on 12/31/2012 8:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
12/27/2012 12:55 PMPosted by Aveyai
Looked at Zonker from Blood Legion who appears to have gotten haste to 20% (with frost armor) then started moving all secondary stats into mastery and foregoing crit. This seems to contradict the stat priority all together. I know 20% haste is the soft cap with heroism but I'm curious why a high end mage would ignore crit?

First of all 20% haste isn't the soft haste cap. 20% haste + 30% from heroism doesn't add up to 50% haste. Haste is multiplicative so it is calculated differently than most would think. Basically, you dont want your haste any higher than 50% with heroism up. Also, using the glyph of icy veins removes the haste buff which allows you to stack it with heroism and still benefit from it.

As for this individuals choice of stat priority, they could have had an incomplete set on or maybe they were aiming for high burst. Mastery would enable them to hit harder on frozen targets, maybe making it easier to kill adds on a certain boss. Of course this burst will be rng dependant if they are not close to the crit cap. They also could have had their gear reforged to play around with arcane spec.
Reply Quote
I wonder why this is not in sticky yet... Do they really want all of us to be arcane? Someone make arcane guilde with a single sentence:
"If you need a guide to press 2 buttons, quit this game".
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Posting to bump this thread up to the top. I really hope this becomes stickied and gets regular updating.

Okay, got that out. Just how close, exactly, are Haste and Crit (pre-Shatter cap) for Frost? I'm thinking of dropping some of my Haste in favor of more Crit.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Mage
02/17/2013 07:20 AMPosted by Jackielynn
Okay, got that out. Just how close, exactly, are Haste and Crit (pre-Shatter cap) for Frost? I'm thinking of dropping some of my Haste in favor of more Crit.

You need to run your character through SimulationCraft to find out for sure.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Druid
01/17/2013 03:29 PMPosted by Vortune
I wonder why this is not in sticky yet...

I'm playing frost mage these days, so I'd like to see a frost mage sticky guide. I'll keep this guide bookmarked and hope that it gets updated for 5.2 in a few weeks. :)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
02/18/2013 06:03 PMPosted by Winnrie

You need to run your character through SimulationCraft to find out for sure.

Just ran it through. Right now, it's showing Crit > Haste > Mastery (1.19, 1.14, 1.04). Does that mean I should start reforging towards Crit instead of Haste? Is there a certain Haste breakpoint I need to reach?
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Mage
Hmmm ... that's weird. I just ran my characters and I get a scale factor of around 1.85:1.52 factor for haste:crit.

I think i read somewhere the options you choose could actually change this, but I can't remember what. FWIW, I ran this through both Patchwerk and LightMovement fights.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
02/18/2013 08:01 PMPosted by Jackielynn
Is there a certain Haste breakpoint I need to reach?

100% Haste. Basically you stack Haste forever.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Hmmm ... that's weird. I just ran my characters and I get a scale factor of around 1.85:1.52 factor for haste:crit.

I think i read somewhere the options you choose could actually change this, but I can't remember what. FWIW, I ran this through both Patchwerk and LightMovement fights.

I ran mine just through LightMovement but I also lowered the player skill from Elite. (Yeah, I'm being realistic with myself - I want scale factors that are closer to what I'm capable of producing, not the top .01% of Frost Mages. I'm still working on getting to that point, though.)

Right now, I'm re-running it as an Elite player to see how that changes things, if it changes things at all. Leaving it set as a LightMovement fight.

(On another, completely unrelated note, we need more sticky requests.)

EDIT: Just finished running it. About the same results. 1.16 > 1.08 > 1.02, Crit > Haste > Mastery. Does that mean I should start reforging for Crit or just continue with the same Haste-heavy reforging / gearing set-up?
Edited by Jackielynn on 2/20/2013 3:31 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]