Basic Affliction Guide 5.0.5

100 Human Paladin
Thanks for the guide. sticky requested
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
sticky please
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Great guide, Sylvannas. I have a few ideas that you might be able to use to further polish and expand your guide.

Intellect > Hit 15% > Mastery > Haste > Crit

Yes you need to be hit capped for Affliction. Missing on a Haunt or missing a rebuff on CoA 10 stack, will diminish your DPS

Missing a Haunt or having to start new Agony stacks is certainly a dps loss but it's only temporary. It's a fact that it is a dps gain to be under the hit cap and that's taking into account the missed haunts and such. I personally am still hit capped and would advice others to do so but I wouldn't say that you "need to be" hit capped because that's simply not true.

Also depending on the fight, glyph of healthstone can be very useful. Constant, heavy-damage situations like during Feng's arcane velocity, last phase on Elegon, Zor'lok's force and verve jump to my mind.

As for saccing pets, I use my voidwalker most of the time because it gives me an ok survival cd. The only time I don't use voidwalker is when I go grimoire of supremacy for stone guard and will of the emperor, in which case I go with observer. Saccing imp can be useful in the stone guard encounter to get rid of the root from the cobalt mine and saccing fel hunter can come handy if you need to be a back up interrupter.

I know it's a basic guide but I always find little things to be just as helpful.

I'm going to politely disagree with you on Hit rating. Maybe it's because I get frustrated when I miss a Haunt or lose my 10 stacks on Agony, but I think for Affliction Warlocks, the 15% is needed and really isn't asking too much when you get better gear.

I think sacking pets is the best DPS increase out of the other Glimoires for Affliction. Besides the better buff out of it (which makes more sense for Affliction since we are using DoTs and channeling spells) I personally feel that Affliction plays better without a pet. I also don't feel like a frost mage or a hunter without a pet which is a huge plus for me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
11/02/2012 04:04 AMPosted by Somewhat
One question of (I think) great importance: should I clip, or not clip, the end of Malefic Grasp? It -seems- to me that I'm doing slightly better by not clipping, but I don't know how the numbers all work well enough to say it definitively. Any advice would be appreciated.

Interrupting a channeled spell with the same channeled spell on the same target does not lose you any ticks, so it is better to start MG during MG than to wait until MG is finished.

I absolutely agree with this @Somewhat. I started following this and saw a dramatic increase in my DPS on fights, anywhere from 5k to even 10k increase (Depending on the fight).
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Great guide.. one thing i would like to see is haste soft caps. I know there is several for aff locks, and u really can't reach one with out over shooting another, but what i'v been wondering is what is the haste soft cap on corruption, and is it a dps loss or gain to aim for this soft cap.
Reply Quote
92 Undead Warlock
just a question for you guys. what is a good dot timer to use? I need one that isnt too complicated to use/setup. Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
11/02/2012 10:04 AMPosted by Classicoly
Great guide.. one thing i would like to see is haste soft caps. I know there is several for aff locks, and u really can't reach one with out over shooting another, but what i'v been wondering is what is the haste soft cap on corruption, and is it a dps loss or gain to aim for this soft cap.

I just added the Haste Breakpoints for you in my guide
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
11/02/2012 10:14 AMPosted by Canne
just a question for you guys. what is a good dot timer to use? I need one that isnt too complicated to use/setup. Thanks

I will have to get back to you on that one. I haven't been able to play in a few days because of a storm and no internet at home.

I believe I searched on the curse client "Dot Timers" and found something. I also have an addon that monitors my targets health and when it gets to 20% dings for me so I know to switch to Drain Soul. That one might be something like "Drain Soul Timer", but I'll have to get back to you on that. Hope that helps!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Great guide.

Sticky requested and likely ignored just like all other sticky worthy threads floating around the lock forums.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
A couple questions.

You say to use Doomguard under 20%. Wouldn't you want to use it when your group uses heroism/bloodlust? I believe the doomguard is affected by those buffs so wouldn't it more beneficial towards your dps to use it during peak dps times such as this.

Also, I just want to know why you use haunt after applying dots. I always CoE, haunt, then SB:SS.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Is Fel Fire always the best way to refresh Corruption/Unstable Affliction? Since it's an instant cast and UA has a cast time it seems like it would be especially since FF does damage as well.

You don't need to CoE if there's a rogue on the target.

What buff does the Rogue apply that is as effective or better the Curse of Elements? Is it something they will always be using? In other words, in a raid do I never have to worry about casting CoE?
Edited by Sláine on 11/3/2012 4:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
Soul Shards: Should I prioritize upkeep on Haunt (and hardcasting to refresh my dots), or should I just refresh dots with SB-SS? Depending on the answer, is there a situation where I'd want to do the opposite?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
10/31/2012 01:05 PMPosted by Somewhat
with higher gear levels and multidot fights favoring full mastery

Hey Somewhat what is "higher gear levels" at? I'd like to know so I know when to change my gems. Thanks :D
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Going to settle this dispute, it is fight based, but if you look for yourself at every high parseing affliction warlock, they are running generally with 13.00 - 13.50% hit, windsong is not better than jade spirit.

Personally i cant stand not being hit capped, so i play hit capped. Maybe i would parse higher but it comes down to preference, if you can manage playing while not being hit capped i would suggest it. It depends on how much effort you want to put in.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
11/03/2012 08:16 PMPosted by Virina
Soul Shards: Should I prioritize upkeep on Haunt (and hardcasting to refresh my dots), or should I just refresh dots with SB-SS? Depending on the answer, is there a situation where I'd want to do the opposite?

You should only use Shards to apply your DoTs instantly at the start of the fight. Haunt is where are numbers jump up and we should definitely prioritize our shards for Haunt. Of course if the situation calls for SB>SS then by all means do so, but Haunt should be a higher priority.

That being said, during execute phase when you are DS'ing the target, shard management is not an issue and you can SB>SS all day long.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Going to settle this dispute, it is fight based, but if you look for yourself at every high parseing affliction warlock, they are running generally with 13.00 - 13.50% hit, windsong is not better than jade spirit.

Personally i cant stand not being hit capped, so i play hit capped. Maybe i would parse higher but it comes down to preference, if you can manage playing while not being hit capped i would suggest it. It depends on how much effort you want to put in.

I agree with being hit capped. I'm playing with Windsong now and I find that it procs more and I can have multiple procs at once, so I lean that Windsong might have the advantage over Jade Spirit. Again, that's just my opinion from my playing experience.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Windsong is better then Jade Spirit?

And ive been told Mastery > Hit > haste > crit

I follow Int > Hit (15%) > Mastery > Haste > Crit

If you want to roll the dice and not be hit capped that's fine and is working for other locks. But I have a feeling that they are not as consistent with their numbers. They will tell you their highs but not their lows. But play around with it and make the decision for yourself. That's the best advice I can give on the Hit Capped topic. I did both and I prefer being hit capped and not missing on my spells and wasting mana.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]