Basic Affliction Guide 5.0.5

90 Human Warlock
So are stickies broken in the lock forums? :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Small quick note that is more a symantics thing. but since you're trying to do a sticky it might matter.

Is is called Agony not Curse of Agony.

It matters because You can only have one curse per warlock on any target at a time.

So one warlock can not put CoEle and CoEx on the same target. The curses would have to come two different warlocks.

calling CoA might confuse new players in thinking that they can not have CoEle and Agony on at the same time.

This all changed back when they put in Bane of Doom. Agony became Bane of Agony and you could not BoD and BoA on at the same time.

DUDE. You just blew my mind. I hadn't played WoW since 2008 (came back a few weeks ago). Had NO idea that Agony wasn't considered a curse anymore. So now we can have Agony AND Curse of Elements on the same target?

MIND_BLOWN!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
11/06/2012 08:08 AMPosted by Sylvannas

Just wanted to say that I hadn't played my lock really at all in a serious sense since Wrath. This thread has made it much easier for my to practice my rotations as I am leveling. Even if you don't get a sticky, and I already requested it myself, you are doing a great service for the community with this thread and your attention to it. You have answered most ppl's questions very quickly and I greatly applaud you for that.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I wouldn't post something like Hit > Mastery when it is currently subjective, at least list them both as viable. One does higher dps, one guarantees your spells will hit

Overall I think your guide gives a good general idea. I think your gem section should be re-worded to say which gems to put in which color slots. ie: Red gem slot use an artful, etc. As affliction currently stands you should never be using a pure red gem in any slot...for example.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
11/05/2012 08:18 AMPosted by Yoshia
just a question for you guys. what is a good dot timer to use? I need one that isnt too complicated to use/setup. Thanks

I had another warlock suggest to me "TellMeWhen" when I asked the same question.
Have yet to test it out but hear it is great from Kodyxoxo

TellMeWhen is a great addon. Once you figure out how to set it up theres a lot you can do with it beyond track dots. Also its not warlock specific so its nice because it works well for all of my characters.

Gradschool is eating up pretty much all my time to play, so my own gear isn't anything special right now. I have messed around with simcraft quite a bit and I agree with the posters saying mastery > hit, however, I also agree its very annoying to play not being hit capped and potentially you may end a fight with lower numbers due to a bad string of misses. At the same time I believe your average dps of your fights will be higher. Iv'e been switching back and forth between being hit capped as my mind set changes from "Holy S*** I just missed my last 4 haunts" and "hmmm I maybe could have been 1-2k dps higher this fight if I was not hit capped."

But more importantly, great work on the OP.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
11/06/2012 08:46 AMPosted by Psychomagus

Just wanted to say that I hadn't played my lock really at all in a serious sense since Wrath. This thread has made it much easier for my to practice my rotations as I am leveling. Even if you don't get a sticky, and I already requested it myself, you are doing a great service for the community with this thread and your attention to it. You have answered most ppl's questions very quickly and I greatly applaud you for that.

Thank you very much. I don't like reading through paragraphs after paragraphs to get to the real meat of the topic, especially when it comes to wow info. I hope more people can benefit from these posts. Please feel free to use this post for any questions that we can table top and talk about.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I wouldn't post something like Hit > Mastery when it is currently subjective, at least list them both as viable. One does higher dps, one guarantees your spells will hit

Overall I think your guide gives a good general idea. I think your gem section should be re-worded to say which gems to put in which color slots. ie: Red gem slot use an artful, etc. As affliction currently stands you should never be using a pure red gem in any slot...for example.

I took your opinion and suggestions on how to make the guide flow better. I redid the Gem section and I also added a statement before the reasoning for Hit Capped as "...this is my opinion based on my experience and play style...''. Thank you for your suggestions!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and responses. Please let me know if there is anything else that should be added/changed. As I continue playing as my Affliction Lock, I will note any changes to my play style and/or strat. Good luck out there!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I am confused, Sylv. In your guide you are saying that for blue or yellow to use Sensei's Wild Jade. I noticed that you are using pure hit gems and pure mastery gem. Is that something I should do as I am gearing up, or should i stick with the green gem?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
Lux
Thank you for the great guide. I usually try to find advanced tips that are not found in every guide. I found the tip about conserving haunts for after high uptime on dots very helpful.

One thing I still cannot find the answer for is the optimal priority for 2 target encounters. Just for consistency, suppose there are 2 bosses with high health. I understand it would be optimal to start out with SB: SS on both targets, but what about maintaining sustained dps? Is it best to manually refresh dots on both targets while using haunt + MG on one? Or is this the time to use the glyphed SS on the 2nd target? I'm positive that we should never let agony drop off either target, but what about corr or UA? If we have haunt + full dots up on current target and corr or UA is about to fall off of 2nd target, what then becomes the priority? Should I spend the time refreshing corr and UA on 2nd target, or should I continue to MG the current target and renew dots on 2nd target after haunt falls off current target?

Sorry if that is confusing. It's a bit hard to explain in words what I am thinking. I'm a bit meticulous because I want to know the exact way to min/max dps.

tl;dr - What is optimal priority for 2 targets? Manual dot refreshing vs SS
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I think 2 big targets mean you are applying DoTs with SB:SS, using haunt and Malefic Grasp for dps, and Drain Soul to regen shards to keep applying DoTS to the two mobs. Yes, Drain Soul is a DPS loss, but with DoTs on 2 different mobs and haunts on 2 different mobs, you still are doing a good amount of dps.

Now, I could be wrong on this one, but it seems logical. Another way you could do it is to simply take advantage of Pandemic, so that the longer the fight goes, the easier it is to keep your DoTS on 2 mobs and simply Malefic Grasp on one of them. Just keep a target and have a focus target for the fight as the 2nd one, so you can still easily see your dots there. Also, make sure that whatever UI you are using only shows your debuffs on the boss, to make it easier.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
RUI
Great guide, except I'd also have to disagree with...

Yes you need to be hit capped for Affliction. Missing on a Haunt or missing a rebuff on Ag 10 stack, will diminish your DPS. Mastery is the new Secondary Stat you will need for Affliction followed by Haste. Crit is useless to Affliction Warlocks.

There have been numerous tests that being under the hit cap is a dps increase, however I will not say that you NEED to be under the hit cap, but I wouldn't say you NEED to be hit capped either. It's all a matter of personal preference, as being under or at the hit cap really isn't that drastic of a difference.

From my personal experience I felt like I did just fine sitting at roughly 7.5% hit (I'm higher now due to gear upgrades with more hit) for a while, and I did considerably higher dps by reforging at the order of Mastery > Haste > Hit > Crit. However, with the right addon to help keep on your toes and to help keep track of what misses, you might find that your dps will increase in favor of being under the hit cap vs being hit cap. I'd advise refreshing Agony a bit sooner than usual if you've been finding yourself dropping the 10 stacks on it, so you will have time to give a 2nd try at refreshing it before it wears off which has worked for me. I have very rarely lost my 10 stacks of Agony.

Again, this is a great guide, I just don't agree with the "need to be hit capped" comment, as it really is personal preference. Saying "I would recommend being hit capped" I feel would be better, or something along those lines.

EDIT: I also wanted to add one more thing...

Missing on a Haunt or missing a rebuff on Ag 10 stack, will diminish your DPS.

If you fail to restack your Agony, that's not your hit caps fault, it is your own. You should always be prepared to miss Agony and therefor give yourself more time to refresh it so you will have time to try again before your stacks drop completely. It's a bit rare to miss 2 times in a row and far more rare to miss 3 times in a row. I've never had any problems keeping Agony up at 7.5% hit, and at that hit I rarely missed 2 times in a row or more.

As for Haunt, there's nothing you can do about that, but that is why you want plenty of haste as well, so your corruption will tick quicker, thus giving you a faster chance at a Haunt proc rate to compensate for having below the hit cap.
Edited by Kaldun on 11/8/2012 2:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
RUI
Might I also suggest adding the the following macros for multi DoT fights?

Focus Targetting Macro's

#showtooltip Soul Swap
/cast Soulburn
/cast [@focus] Soul Swap

/cast [@focus] Agony

/cast [@focus] Corruption

/cast [@focus] Unstable Affliction

/cast [@focus] Haunt

/cast [@focus] Fel Flame

Also, if you want to bunch up 3 of your DoT's into one button...

#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=1 Agony, Corruption, Unstable Affliction

^I personally Don't like using this macro, but others might.
Edited by Kaldun on 11/8/2012 2:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
11/07/2012 01:56 PMPosted by Psychomagus
I am confused, Sylv. In your guide you are saying that for blue or yellow to use Sensei's Wild Jade. I noticed that you are using pure hit gems and pure mastery gem. Is that something I should do as I am gearing up, or should i stick with the green gem?

I chose the pure Hit gem because I wanted to be closer if not over the 15% hit cap. It's my personal play style to be hit capped and there is a big debate among the Affliction Warlock community as to which is better. Being Hit capped or pumping more into Mastery/Haste.

This has been a big discussion on the forums recently as to being Hit Capped, or stacking up on Mastery and Haste instead. Below is my opinion from my experience and personal play style.

Yes you need to be hit capped for Affliction. Missing on a Haunt or missing a rebuff on Ag 10 stack, will diminish your DPS. Mastery is the new Secondary Stat you will need for Affliction followed by Haste. Crit is useless to Affliction Warlocks.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Thank you for the great guide. I usually try to find advanced tips that are not found in every guide. I found the tip about conserving haunts for after high uptime on dots very helpful.

One thing I still cannot find the answer for is the optimal priority for 2 target encounters. Just for consistency, suppose there are 2 bosses with high health. I understand it would be optimal to start out with SB: SS on both targets, but what about maintaining sustained dps? Is it best to manually refresh dots on both targets while using haunt + MG on one? Or is this the time to use the glyphed SS on the 2nd target? I'm positive that we should never let agony drop off either target, but what about corr or UA? If we have haunt + full dots up on current target and corr or UA is about to fall off of 2nd target, what then becomes the priority? Should I spend the time refreshing corr and UA on 2nd target, or should I continue to MG the current target and renew dots on 2nd target after haunt falls off current target?

Sorry if that is confusing. It's a bit hard to explain in words what I am thinking. I'm a bit meticulous because I want to know the exact way to min/max dps.

tl;dr - What is optimal priority for 2 targets? Manual dot refreshing vs SS

When it comes to two targets I CoE the off one first and then SB:SS. I then switch to the main target and follow the regular rotation. Because I have 2 Cr's up I increase my chances at getting Nightfall procs which equals more shards for me to SB:SS with. And then it comes down to micro management and switching between the main/off target to reapply my DoTs. I don't care if some fall off on the off target, just as long as I get a few good Haunt/MGs on the main.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
@Somewhat

Somewhat seems to be my assistant with this guide and I give Somewhat many thanks in filling in some of these questions when I'm away from the forums. I still try to answer them from my own opinion/perspective, but I really do appreciate the knowledgeable responses. Thanks and keep up the good work! :D
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
11/08/2012 01:25 AMPosted by Somewhat
One thing I still cannot find the answer for is the optimal priority for 2 target encounters. Just for consistency, suppose there are 2 bosses with high health. I understand it would be optimal to start out with SB: SS on both targets, but what about maintaining sustained dps? Is it best to manually refresh dots on both targets while using haunt + MG on one?
Yes.

Or is this the time to use the glyphed SS on the 2nd target? I'm positive that we should never let agony drop off either target, but what about corr or UA?
I haven't yet found a fight that I like glyphed SS for. In general it is a dps gain to keep dots up instead of using filler.

If we have haunt + full dots up on current target and corr or UA is about to fall off of 2nd target, what then becomes the priority? Should I spend the time refreshing corr and UA on 2nd target, or should I continue to MG the current target and renew dots on 2nd target after haunt falls off current target?
Refresh the dots, but ideally haunt at a time that ensures this won't happen.

If the fight is stone guard, don't haunt much because you'll need shards to SB:SS when the active mobs change. If the fight is will of the emperor, haunt mainly during burn phases and on adds that are about to die (but over 20%) and spend the bulk of your soul shards using SB:SS on adds.

11/07/2012 09:25 PMPosted by Psychomagus
I think 2 big targets mean you are applying DoTs with SB:SS, using haunt and Malefic Grasp for dps, and Drain Soul to regen shards to keep applying DoTS to the two mobs. Yes, Drain Soul is a DPS loss, but with DoTs on 2 different mobs and haunts on 2 different mobs, you still are doing a good amount of dps.
Don't use drain soul like this.

Now, I could be wrong on this one, but it seems logical. Another way you could do it is to simply take advantage of Pandemic, so that the longer the fight goes, the easier it is to keep your DoTS on 2 mobs and simply Malefic Grasp on one of them.
This is not how pandemic works. Your agony will not have a duration longer than 1.5x its base duration, no matter how long the fight is.

Well, I guess I coulda worded that better, but the point is, later in the fight it is easier than earlier, and I guess I should have noted that.

On the two target situation I was borrowing some stuff from icy-veins.com in reference to drain soul, perhaps that is wrong, lol.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]