Basic Affliction Guide 5.0.5

90 Undead Warlock
Thank you for the great guide. I usually try to find advanced tips that are not found in every guide. I found the tip about conserving haunts for after high uptime on dots very helpful.

One thing I still cannot find the answer for is the optimal priority for 2 target encounters. Just for consistency, suppose there are 2 bosses with high health. I understand it would be optimal to start out with SB: SS on both targets, but what about maintaining sustained dps? Is it best to manually refresh dots on both targets while using haunt + MG on one? Or is this the time to use the glyphed SS on the 2nd target? I'm positive that we should never let agony drop off either target, but what about corr or UA? If we have haunt + full dots up on current target and corr or UA is about to fall off of 2nd target, what then becomes the priority? Should I spend the time refreshing corr and UA on 2nd target, or should I continue to MG the current target and renew dots on 2nd target after haunt falls off current target?

Sorry if that is confusing. It's a bit hard to explain in words what I am thinking. I'm a bit meticulous because I want to know the exact way to min/max dps.

tl;dr - What is optimal priority for 2 targets? Manual dot refreshing vs SS

When it comes to two targets I CoE the off one first and then SB:SS. I then switch to the main target and follow the regular rotation. Because I have 2 Cr's up I increase my chances at getting Nightfall procs which equals more shards for me to SB:SS with. And then it comes down to micro management and switching between the main/off target to reapply my DoTs. I don't care if some fall off on the off target, just as long as I get a few good Haunt/MGs on the main.

It shouldn't be too hard to manage it with a target and a focus target :). After all, you are only really switching to target two to reapply DoTs. You just gotta make sure when you are reapplying your UA on target two that one of your DoTs on the first target is not falling off and you are not losing a chance to reapply Haunt at the correct time(when all the DoTs still have 8 seconds or more on them left). I started watching that part a lot more in my more recent heroics.

On that note, Sylv, I am finding lock dps to be pretty good even at lower gear levels. I am just now up to 451 in item level and do 30-35k on some bosses in heroics, well the ones that don't have some whacky gimmicks that cause me to retarget or stuff like that, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
@Psychomagus

I'm glad to hear that you're performing well at lower gear levels. If you practice early on, the better DPS will follow and scale with your gear. The gear doesn't make the player.

Dot Timers really help when micro managing multiple adds. There are plenty good ones out there and I would try a few of them out and see which is the one for you. Everyone has different taste with their UI and the level of complexity they're looking for. So I would download Curse Client and search around for some of the more popular addons and make the decision for yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I am simply not a big fan of the DoT timers. I don't usually have problems watching the time on the dot on the mob portrait, lol.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Bumping and reporting for sticky. Not that it will ever become a sticky, since Blizzard apparently hates warlocks, but it makes me feel better. Great guide, Slyv, thank you very much for taking the time and effort to put this together.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I know I'm bumping my own guide, but I added new info to it regarding Hit Capped. Hope this helps!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I am stuck on my 12.3% hit for now. I am only going to LFR though, so I am imagining picking something up that will help that. Epic items tend to have a LOT of hit when they have it :p. I may be able to justify dropping to around 50% mastery, but not any lower. I will see. What is your opinion on that, Sylv? BTW, this will be my first LFR on my lock this xpac :p.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
@Psychomagus

You are probably going to miss, but it really depends on RNG what you will miss on. Will you mind missing on a UA cast? Corruption? Or would you mind missing on something like a Haunt?

Personally, as you can see from my gems, I did gem straight Hit. I didn't include it in the guide because it's based on MY personal preference. Not what will get me bigger numbers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm gonna have to go ahead and ask that this become a sticky. Mmmkay? Thaaaaanks.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Damn you Blizzard, make some stickies in the Warlock forums :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Found a very very very nice little addon for affliction.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/affdots

AffDots, it remembers the power of dots cast on targets (affliction only) and tell you if you should refresh a specific dot.

Dot background colors:

Green: your current stats are better, recasting will have a full benefit of Pandemic
Blue: your current stats are better, recasting will not have a full benefit of Pandemic
Yellow: your current stats are worse, recasting will have a full benefit of Pandemic
Red: your current stats are worse, recasting will not have a full benefit of Pandemic

Most common scenarios:
Green: cast unless you expect more incoming procs soon.
Blue: cast if your current stats are significantly better or if you have to switch targets.
Yellow: cast if you have to switch targets.
Red: do not cast.

It makes managing dot refreshing due to procs very easy.
Edited by Xerties on 11/12/2012 1:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Thank you for the info on the Affliction addon. I will have to download that tonight and try it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
One last time.
Reply Quote
Anyone else feel this should not be a sticky just due to the fact that this guy doesn't recommend Glyph of Soul Swap(among other things)? "Basic" is an accurate description for this thread.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
There are quite a few reasons why Glyph of Soul Swap isn't the best for pve.
Edited by Rahm on 1/1/2013 5:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
30sec cd is bad for procs
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Death Knight
12/30/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Draco
Anyone else feel this should not be a sticky just due to the fact that this guy doesn't recommend Glyph of Soul Swap(among other things)? "Basic" is an accurate description for this thread.

Seems like you haven't played a Lock since MoP. Soulburn + SS is what's used nowadays...

Anyways, can someone else confirm the 3043 threshold for haste? Other people are saying 4717 but I don't know. We don't have a 5% spell haste buff in our raid.
Edited by Garadine on 1/6/2013 8:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
12/30/2012 07:23 PMPosted by Draco

As you are entitled to your opinion, I don't believe Soul Swap should be recommended for a Glyph for PvE. Pre MOP, Soul Swap was awesome and was highly recommended, but there really isn't any need now a days for it, except for PvP.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
[quote="74147395243"]
Anyways, can someone else confirm the 3043 threshold for haste? Other people are saying 4717 but I don't know. We don't have a 5% spell haste buff in our raid.

From what I heard, even with the 5% spell haste buff you need 4717 haste to hit 1 UA tick, 2 Agony ticks, and 2 Corruption ticks.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Opening: Single Target

1. CoE
2. DSM
3. SB into SS
4. Haunt
5. MG
6. Reapply DoTs (Ag 10 Stacks, CR, UA) - FF if on the move

1. Curse of the Elements
2. Potion of the Jade serpent
3. Dark Soul: Misery [If you have a on use trinket then you need to macro Dark Soul+Trinket]
4. [Macro]: /cast Soulburn /cast Soul Swap
5. Haunt
6. Doomguard* (see star below)
7. Malefic Grasp
8. Maintaining DoTs: This is Mists of Pandaria and not Wrath of the Lich King thus we clip our dots as close to the end mark as possible. Make sure all DoTs are kept up as close to 100% you can let haunt fall fully off before reapplying it onto the target.

Under 20% - Execute Range

1. Doomguard
2. Keep Haunt up along with DoTs
3. DS

*Doomguard (see star below)
1. Replace Malefic Grasp as filler with Drain Soul
2. You will have a lot of shard regen at this point so use Soul Burn+Soul Swap to applying dots and keeping haunt up.

*The use of Doomguard can depend on what type of fight you're doing and the direction of your raid leader. I use doomguard at the start usually when all cooldowns are blown as well as storm lash and banner have been dropped. However on fights such as Heroic: Elegon and Heroic: Feng were the last phase is a dps race with a heroism I save my doomguard for then.

The Demon I use to Sacrifice is the Fel Hunter. It's a really handy silence that we get Command Demon. Some people forget about this spell or don't think it will work if you don't have a pet out. But this comes in handy every once in awhile and is probably a force of habit from when I PvP.

Using the voidwalker will give the warlock Shadow Bulwark which gives 30% of HP for 20 seconds.

Shard Management:

First is making sure that when you cast Haunt, you have plenty of up time on your DOTs. You want to be able to just spam MG during your Haunt phase. This will help maximize your overall DPS. Sometimes you will have to sit on shards depending on the fight if you have to move around, but that's fine. You just want to make sure that every time you have Haunt on the target you

You will want to have Haunt up for Dark Soul: Misery that will require you to plan ahead of time.

Talents:

The only talent that matters for our DPS is Glimoire of Sacrifice. Soul Leech I prefer for extra health regen, but everything else is survivability and preference.

No actually its not the only talent that matters Sacrifice is the top choice for single target fights however multi-target fights prefer supremacy. As well Archimonde's Vengeance is better on a stand still fight with high damage phases vs. Kil'jaeden's Cunning which is better for fights regarding movement.

Stat Priority:

Intellect > Hit 15% > Mastery > Haste > Crit

Intellect>Haste(4717)>Mastery>Haste>Hit>Crit*

*I will say that this is the stats for a warlock who is in close to BiS Normal gear. Simulationcraft should ALWAYS be used to find out the correct stat weights for a warlocks set of gear.
Edited by Aeriedan on 1/11/2013 8:16 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]