Brewmaster PvP

20 Undead Monk
Is this viable? I noticed while leveling two other alts that Brewmaster Monks were crazy hard to kill and were actually pretty decent FCs in 10-69 brackets. I deleted my tubby Pandaren WW monk (couldn't stand his tubbiness) and made this guy and have had prett good success running BM in low level BGs.

Then again, with full 'looms and in low level BGs, pretty much anything can be viable. Is this something that could work at high level RBGs and/or arena?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
high level rbgs: yes, im pretty sure brewmaster could FC pretty well.

arena: not enough burst to be viable as a dps, and not enough heals to be viable as a healer.
Reply Quote
I can't speak for RBGs, but tanks will never be successful in arena. They just don't have a place.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
The biggest problem with Brewmasters is you get stunned and you're pretty much boned.
Stagger and Guard don't really seem to cut it. You can watch streams of Brewmasters just getting dunked on by teams.

Though, the getting stunned thing hurts all the specs tbh.
Not really any good way to respond to them. :l
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I tried to PVP endgame with WW, and I found it horrible. Mobility was great, but i didnt get any burst damage, and would get stunned and die. I switched to Brewmaster and I seem to be winning all BG's now. Maybe this is because im more comfortable as a tank (i usually tank heroics, and raids) But i find i carve our a nice little niche in the BG world. Even though I wont one shot anyone, Im very hard to kill, and if i rush into a group of horde on some of my boys, i drop my ox statue and AoE like crazy, all my boys get a free GUARD, and we end up beating the horde.. My 2 cents.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
BG's up to lvl 90 were easy as BM. Though gearing up as BM for pvp is a struggle. Especially lately as it seems Alliance can't win a BG. FC was easy up until 90, but I have so little damage mitigation when stunned that I don't see BM monks being good for FCs during RBGs. 2s teams will have no place for BMs, but 3 or 5 man teams may be able to utilize BMs
Reply Quote
37 Pandaren Monk
Is this viable? I noticed while leveling two other alts that Brewmaster Monks were crazy hard to kill and were actually pretty decent FCs in 10-69 brackets. I deleted my tubby Pandaren WW monk (couldn't stand his tubbiness) and made this guy and have had prett good success running BM in low level BGs.

Then again, with full 'looms and in low level BGs, pretty much anything can be viable. Is this something that could work at high level RBGs and/or arena?

No it is not viable. None of your damage mitigation is passive. So if you get stunned you are wearing leather and dead before the stun wears off. However, if you are 1v1 a class without many stuns or kiting ability you will win.
Edited by Thuggo on 12/21/2012 5:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
sorry to bump this, but its a valid question i'd like to open up again as it sparks my interests and i dont see enough information on it.

IS brewmaster pvp viable?

i can see how the mitigation of stagger can be trouble in an arena setting and i can also see it possibly being good at FC with its mobility. what do you guys think? I would like more info, success/unsuccessful PoV, theory on it all.

PvP is not my thing on my monk as it is on my rogue and hunter, but would like more insight as maybe a possiblility in my monks future.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
All I know is I just got top honor in Twin Peaks as a Brewmaster wearing sub-par PvE gear, and had a hell of a lot of fun doing it. It only happened this once, and I don't expect the same results to happen often... and I wouldn't call it viable, but it can most definitely be an enjoyable experience. Let's just say that our usefulness is very... situational.

Edit: Just noticed how old this was, sorry to bump it yet again, derp~
Edited by Braumeister on 2/16/2013 6:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
58 Human Death Knight
While you guys are right about the stunning and the damage mitigation, I think you are undervaluing some of the utility that brewmaster brings. Consider warsong gulch. Take a healer with you and go hang out on the roof. Drop transcendence. Enemy team will always send a bunch to go kill you. Soon as they get up there you drop down into flag room and los. they have no choice but to drop down and follow you. you port back up. rinse and repeat. so many teams get frustrated at that alone. they have to literally devise a strategy to counter that. usually it means splitting up their team. you can completely disrupt what would've been a huge burst potential. on other maps like gilneas and basin you can provide excellent peels for your healers with dizzying haze and also disrupt the other team heavily with keg smash and breath of fire (glyphed). that's a 2 second disorient on groups of people that has no DR. that's huge. brewmaster may not be as big of a meat shield type of spec as the other classes but the utility and the mobility alone more than well make up for it
Edited by Tryptich on 3/27/2013 8:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
i know this isnt my thread but i was reading it and got a lot of good information for my monk. thx guys
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Unfortunately the only tank viable in RBG's right now is guardian druid.

The changes they made to FC have been pretty terrible... Tanks should have a place in PvP, imo. I would enjoy FC as Brewmaster.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]