Golden Lotus dailies

90 Night Elf Druid
I know there's been a million threads on this, and I don't mind doing dailies, but the Golden Lotus ones are really the only ones where I specifically see problems in design.

First of all, the rep reward per quest is way too low. 110 rep per quest is just ridiculous. It's well below the minimum daily reward. Any daily quest rep reward is at minimum 200-ish, even in this expansion, as well as previous ones. The only reason it's 110 is because...

Second, there's so many of them. Every rank you gain with the Golden Lotus the prize is... you get to do more daily hubs per day. I think the best model for a daily devoted zone was the Molten Front. And while I do see that model has been applied to the Vale, I don't know if it's really been strong enough, and the low rep reward suggests that the daily experience has become oversaturated with quests, causing the reward to become worthless. The Molten Front model with inflated quests.

Third, not too many of the quests really link together. It feels a lot like the Vanilla questing model; just going from quest hub to quest hub. And this is coming from a lore lover who actually reads the quests and bothers to immerse myself, and there's really not much immersion. The Golden Lotus daily experience is supposed to be about defending the Vale from the Mogu. So why am I shooting fireworks at trees and killing deer for quest drops that are much rarer than they should be? The first portion at the Golden Pagoda is fine, a bit monotonous, but it is at least related to the Mogu invasion.

Then sometimes he says 'things seem quiet around the lake, so why don't you go run errands for that village'. Why am I doing that? Why can't I help shore up their defenses against a Mogu or Saurok raid? Why am I gathering groceries for them? That's Valley stuff. And for that matter why isn't there an option like 'you can either help defend Mistfall Village or hunt down insurgents at the lake', like there was in the Molten Front? And why are there so many quests at the Golden Pagoda that are exactly the same every day? So not only do we have quest inflation, they also serve no purpose except to arbitrarily draw out the process of gaining reputation. There's very thin story connecting them, and the reward is meaningless.

What I think needs to be changed is there needs to be more variation on a day-by-day basis, and there needs to be more story and urgency in the way it links out. It shouldn't just be going from hub A to hub B. There needs to be meaning behind why they're sending you to this location, that relates to the story. And the rep reward really needs to be increased, and if decreasing the amount of dailies active per day is the way to do it, then maybe that's the way to do it.
Edited by Dathrel on 11/3/2012 11:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Yeah, leveling 85-90 was fun because you completed a little story with each hub. The sense of progress wasn't just your XP bar, but also with the subplots.

When I do quests for the Golden Lotus, I fight the exact same guys that were there yesterday, and will be there tomorrow. They're not doing to run wild all over Pandaria if I don't do the quests, the only consequence is that I don't get the rep.
Reply Quote
Golden lotus is lame as well as other dailies. I would like an option to get rep by other means like, Capped rep tabards . But thats just me.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/03/2012 11:30 PMPosted by Madmartigan
Golden lotus is lame as well as other dailies. I would like an option to get rep by other means like, Capped rep tabards . But thats just me.

Not what this is about. This thread is about problems with the Golden Lotus daily experience that need to be addressed, problems I feel are fundamental, not just what you prefer.

Actually let me add this right now. I do not want this becoming another thread about including tabards again and not whining about not wanting to do the dailies. Because that's not what I'm trying to address. I don't mind the dailies and I don't even have a problem with most of the hubs, though each of them could do with a bit more story to them as well.

I want to discuss ways to make the daily experience more exciting and interesting, as I felt it was in the Molten Front. Not whether or not it should be there.

Posted by Dathrel
the prize is... you get to do more daily hubs per day

Scumbag blizz

My point with that was that there was no visible reward for gaining a rank. With the Order of the Cloud Serpent your serpent hatches or grows larger, with the Tillers your farm expands. With the Golden Lotus absolutely nothing happened. Maybe if the battle with the Mogu at the Golden Stair progressed in some visible way that'd be nice, or the mogu began making more moves across the Vale (which I see to some extent, but that could've been done more).
Edited by Dathrel on 11/3/2012 11:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
11/03/2012 11:26 PMPosted by Dathrel
What I think needs to be changed is there needs to be more variation on a day-by-day basis, and there needs to be more story and urgency in the way it links out.

No, there just needs to be less of them and give more rep per.

Seriously, I swear doing those at Revered you're pushing 20 quests darn near.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
11/03/2012 11:30 PMPosted by Madmartigan
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I hit golden lotus exalted 10 days ago and I'm about 5days from exalted with shado/august. IMO golden lotus was the worst.

GO KILL 12 MOGU!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Edited by Chmurka on 11/3/2012 11:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/03/2012 11:51 PMPosted by Chmurka
GO KILL 12 MOGU!

Yeah that particular quest really needs to be put on rotation.

I'm definitely seeing that the inflation is a big problem. And it wouldn't be so bad if they were using that large number of quests to tell a story each day, but they're not.

I just went from Mistfall Village to Setting Sun Garrison and the only reason given was 'say hi to Anji' basically. How does that help defend the Vale from the Mogu? I'm fighting students too. We're veterans of three wars (four if you count the Siege of Ahn'Qiraj), have us do something.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
11/03/2012 11:30 PMPosted by Luumi
When I do quests for the Golden Lotus, I fight the exact same guys that were there yesterday, and will be there tomorrow. They're not doing to run wild all over Pandaria if I don't do the quests, the only consequence is that I don't get the rep.

Mogumania is running wild all over the Vale, brother

We keep killing em because they are being mass produced by a Titan machine. Golden Lotus makes plenty of sense.

And I really like it when I get the Thunder below and the rock one...or really any quests down in that Ruin.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Haven't seen anything invade the blue shrine except a few Horde who quickly become skeletons.

No statuemen ever make it that far, certainly.
Edited by Luumi on 11/4/2012 12:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Yeah, Golden Lotus is very badly designed. Take it from a guy that just hit exlted with them a few days ago.

So many dead Mogu...

Also the reputation unlocks for it is horrible. If you rep out of a hub and get into the next on you will NEVER see quite a few of the quest rares at all unless you look for them and hope they spawned for that day.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/04/2012 12:12 AMPosted by Slalin
We keep killing em because they are being mass produced by a Titan machine. Golden Lotus makes plenty of sense.

Those are Stoneborn, not mogu.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
11/03/2012 11:48 PMPosted by Loans
18 actually if you get unlucky and hit the 6 per hub lottery.

That's pushing 20.

/barf

11/04/2012 12:12 AMPosted by Slalin

I personally would like more official lore on the whole titan/mogu thing.

Like why the crap is there titan machinery and a celestial dragon down there in the vaults, anyways?
Reply Quote
1 Dwarf Paladin
What I don't get is that after becoming the saviour of the Vale, the mogu still came back?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
11/04/2012 12:41 AMPosted by Loghaire
What I don't get is that after becoming the saviour of the Vale, the mogu still came back?

JIC you feel the urge to ever kill 12 of them again ever...

fond memories
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I personally would like more official lore on the whole titan/mogu thing.

Like why the crap is there titan machinery and a celestial dragon down there in the vaults, anyways?

The mogu were a 'race of brutes' (makes me think they were Quilen to be honest) who got hyper-evolved by the Waters of Life in the Vale. The Vale is the source of Titan complex that was apparently used to create mortal races, with the water being able to speed up the process of evolution. The early mogu happened to stumble on this facility (part of me says the Old Gods had some hand in that, but who knows) and gained the ability to use the technology within. Elegon is just the sole remaining Watcher of that facility, part of the automated defense program.

It would seem the mogu used the Titan technology to enhance and mass produce their Stoneborn.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
What's also annoying is the higher up in rep you get, the longer it takes to get the Treasures of the Vale. Wowhead says it can drops Spirits of Harmony 25% of the time, and things like a Pandaren Banquet and Imperial silk. Heh... I doubt that. However, at first I would do the main hub + 1 more to get it. At honored, I had to to the main + 2 hubs for it. I haven't done any at revered, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's main +3. Why not give us 1 per secondary hub? Or give us better things than gold in the bag?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]