Elemental - This is wrong

90 Undead Warlock
... why do shaman need to use frostshock when the can move and cast and throw their totems ... what the hell am I missing here? I can see the annoyance with flame/ Earthshock.. but its not like, if you don't use earth immediately the damage goes away. I think at the very least when you reach ur 7th charge it should just let u use earth shock for the proc duration regardless of if its on cd or not. However not being able to use earth shock hasn't bothered me much, yet. I don't think elemental shamans even deserve to use frost shock.. its just there to be there, The only water base dmg skill they have... (infact it prolly woulda made more sense to have elemental's fuluminate (sp) on frost shock than earth shock, seeing that earth shock's debuff is useless)

Elemental already has the most passives ever.... now ppl want more passives. Getting hit by frost shock is very annoying. Getting hit by frost shock even more would make me rage quit.

Instant Root + snare. that leads to a snare/root totem, that leads to a knock back daze sounds nastier than what boomkins do already. How would a melee (other than warrior/dk) ever 1v1 an ele like that?
Edited by Nagomalda on 11/8/2012 3:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue
The why? Probably because Elemental isn't that bad. It's certainly not good right now, and could use a lot more polish, I agree.. but it's not really good enough or bad enough in any aspect to be high on their triage list. At least that's my guess.

We're primarily a root/slow class who's only real CC (Hex) still has a CD for no reason

Pretty sure every CC in the same sort of categories as Hex still have CDs. So it's not that weird.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
will bump this.

Ele is one of the worst pvp specs atm and needs some real looking at.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
11/08/2012 03:26 PMPosted by Nagomalda
... why do shaman need to use frostshock when the can move and cast and throw their totems ... what the hell am I missing here?

Feel free to read the thread, its laid out fairly well by plenty of folks.

1. False choices due to bad mechanics

2. Too little melee-oriented defenses

3. Talents that eliminate other talents.

A lot of focus from people seems to be on the linked-shocks, but I see little about the fact that totems, as the system currently exists, is miserable.

For one thing, while down they eliminate all other spells of that school operating through a totem.

For another, everyone can eliminate a totem by hitting it. That's fine so long as a trade-off is achieved. On almost every totem, I'd like to know what that trade-off is.
Reply Quote

The thought process was likely "Well, do you want damage or do you want a
mega-slow/snare? The player has to make that choice!"
Except it's not a 'mega-slow' It's only even a root if talented for it (at the cost of the AoE root).
Reply Quote

For another, everyone can eliminate a totem by hitting it. That's fine so long as a trade-off is achieved. On almost every totem, I'd like to know what that trade-off is.
The thing that galls me the most is Balwark is both dispelable and the totem was stompable. That's just stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

The thing that galls me the most is Balwark is both dispelable and the totem was stompable. That's just stupid.

Yet another bullet point on the list of crimes against the Shaman.

They other thing I'm noticing is this. Why does Elemental have a second resource system (in LS) that is only usable by one ability?

Since we're asking for more defense, how about we get to use our LS as a defensive ability, where by we can use the charges to reduce damage for 90% for the spell, which would operate every 1 second for each charge.

And the CD would be, say, 45 seconds long. It could replace Nature's Guardian which should be baked in Restoration.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue

Our talents, because they are run through totems, step on one another often. Why would I take Bulwark Totem and Earthgrab Totem? And if I take one of those, am I eliminated from taking Prime Elementalist?
No, these are separate cool-down abilities, it would be different if you could only pick one or the other for an entire fight.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
was in a heroic yesterday and a well geared elemental shammy did 170k single target on a boss. I have not seen any other character do anywhere near that except on mutiple mobs.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman

Our talents, because they are run through totems, step on one another often. Why would I take Bulwark Totem and Earthgrab Totem? And if I take one of those, am I eliminated from taking Prime Elementalist?
No, these are separate cool-down abilities, it would be different if you could only pick one or the other for an entire fight.

But you don't get the full benefit if you totem swap. And if you take out your Prime Earth Elemental, you are in essence locked out from Earthgrab and Bulwark. We need the beta talent that allowed us to drop more than one totem from a school.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
was in a heroic yesterday and a well geared elemental shammy did 170k single target on a boss. I have not seen any other character do anywhere near that except on mutiple mobs.

As was stated in the original post, this has nothing to do with damage. So you clearly didn't read it, nor are most of the problems we're seeing here a major factor in PVE where rapid, and unexpected changes do not occur often.

Please read the thread before coming in, assume its asking for DPS buffs, and ranting to defend your own needs.

11/10/2012 09:20 AMPosted by Odomus
m swap. And if you take out your Prime Earth Elemental, you are in essence locked out from Earthgrab and Bulwark. We need the beta talent that allowed us to drop more than one totem from a school.

We do, but that's not going to solve the issue by which the shield from Bulwark is essentially removable two ways. Some things should just not be in totem form.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
11/10/2012 09:20 AMPosted by Odomus
And if you take out your Prime Earth Elemental, you are in essence locked out from Earthgrab and Bulwark. We need the beta talent that allowed us to drop more than one totem from a school.

We do, but that's not going to solve the issue by which the shield from Bulwark is essentially removable two ways. Some things should just not be in totem form.

Agreed. The fact that Bulwark is also a flat damage reduction isn't very forward-thinking either. With each new tier, it becomes less and less effective even if it were dispel/steal resistant. Our defensive CDs as a whole are completely lackluster. Warriors, who do more damage and have better mobility, have better defenses and counters than we do.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
11/10/2012 07:14 AMPosted by Straker

Which Boss was this on? The only two I can think of that numbers like this are even remotely possible on are, The First Boss in Stormstout Brewery because of the Barrels, or the Second to Last boss in the Siege of Nizao Temple, because of the exploding bombs.

If your whole group is well geared, you pop Lust, Totem pet, Stormlash totem, Ascendance, all your procs line up AND the boss dies quickly, you can see numbers like that as well.

Otherwise, on most bosses ~50k dps is where I end up on most fights, spiking as high as 70k if we can drop a boss fast enough for my CDs to not wear off.
Reply Quote
75 Draenei Death Knight
All I know is that Magma and Searing Totem (more Searing) are SO weak for Ele that they almost aren't worth the GCD to drop them.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
11/11/2012 12:10 AMPosted by Renaat
All I know is that Magma and Searing Totem (more Searing) are SO weak for Ele that they almost aren't worth the GCD to drop them.

Amen, I don't know if I suggested it in this thread, but Elemental Shamans should get some option to have a Lesser Fire Elemental - a permanent pet that only functions as a mobile, perma-cast Searing Totem.

It would fix AI and wouldn't shmuck up damage by using a GCD.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I honestly dont know what some of you guys' problem is i have no issues topping the meters as elemental i may not always be first but ill never be last thats for sure

btw im at least top 5 in DPS in every LFR ive ran as well as pug normal modes.

Not gonna talk about PvP because PvP ruins raiding when fixes and nerfs are derived from it.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman

Which Boss was this on? The only two I can think of that numbers like this are even remotely possible on are, The First Boss in Stormstout Brewery because of the Barrels, or the Second to Last boss in the Siege of Nizao Temple, because of the exploding bombs.

If your whole group is well geared, you pop Lust, Totem pet, Stormlash totem, Ascendance, all your procs line up AND the boss dies quickly, you can see numbers like that as well.

Otherwise, on most bosses ~50k dps is where I end up on most fights, spiking as high as 70k if we can drop a boss fast enough for my CDs to not wear off.

i did 271k dps on first boss of siege of nizuhao with 10 stacks of sap buff next highest dps was 134k which was a ret pally so i think elemental defintely have alot higher burst potential in cooldown phase then other classes do.

i usually peak at 100k normally before dropping down to my average which is 50-55k
Edited by Tikimaster on 11/13/2012 1:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
60 Undead Warlock
I wish we would at least get Blizzard to comment on this.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
11/13/2012 05:28 PMPosted by Sutherex
I wish we would at least get Blizzard to comment on this.

They did.

"Q: DPS Shaman and Rogues still aren’t happy in PvP. Why do you thrive on their unhappiness?
A: In 5.1 we’re focused on stabilizing the PvP environment by addressing major outliers in balance. After we’ve accomplished that, we’ll be able to take a look at where things stand and make the appropriate adjustments from there, rather than sweeping changes all at once."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]