Paragraph Roleplayers.

90 Human Warrior
I would like to hear what the server feels about paragraph roleplayers.

In my personal opinion, I hate it. It really makes the RP boring when you have to wait 10 minutes for some guy to post an emote filled with meaningless info about how "..this move will kill any normal person." Is it a style of powermodding?...and why do people take pride in how many paragraphs they can post in one emote? Do people take pride in being annoying and ruining the RP for others who like to put in just enough detail but get straight to the point?

If you're a paragraph roleplayer, please inform me why do you choose to post 8 paragraphs to emote you lacing your shoes...or scratching your butt?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The amount doesn't matter, it's the quality and some people don't realize that. You came across those apparently. There's nothing wrong with detailed RP as long as it's done right.
Reply Quote
Obnoxious. I hate RPing with them and I hate RPing with people when a paragraph-RPer is around because suddenly my chatbox is filled with 3+ posts about how beautiful this random person is.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11/12/2012 07:02 PMPosted by Erydani
The amount doesn't matter, it's the quality and some people don't realize that. You came across those apparently. There's nothing wrong with detailed RP as long as it's done right.

Detailed is one thing, but some detail has no point for being in there. It's almost like they are trying to find meaningless detail to fill up other peoples boxes. I was in a vent with a bunch of them and , yes, they only care about how many paragraphs they can post.
Reply Quote
I don't mind it if -- IF -- it happens in closed RP scenes. I find it disruptive when it occurs in heavily-trafficked environments. If I'm RPing via AIM, I'll write longer myself. I try not to hold other people's chatboxes hostage, though.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I stop, stare, think to myself
"Golly

Look at that sea of words"

Then I read it to find out that it's something that can be explained within a sentence.
Really is unnecessary if applied just to make things look complicated, which most of the time it is. Gratuitous details aren't something others need have planted on their screens every 10 minutes it takes for you to write it up.

Again, if applied incorrectly, it's obnoxious and pointless. I only see it viable in which more than one reply is given at a time.

"Reply number one" (gestures) "Reply number two" (Finishing gestures)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11/12/2012 07:02 PMPosted by Erydani

Basically what Erydani said. Personally, though? I dislike when people use that add-on (I can't remember the name.) to break the character limit barrier and post multiple emotes at once.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Does the story call for it? Cool.
Are you abusing purple prose? Not cool.

Post length is like !@#$% size, it matters to a point, too much and it becomes painful.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11/12/2012 07:10 PMPosted by Lorithas

Basically what Erydani said. Personally, though? I dislike when people use that add-on (I can't remember the name.) to break the character limit barrier and post multiple emotes at once.

Unlimited Chat Messenger.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I post a minimum of two paragraphs.

That's about it.

I don't really appreciate having ten paragraphs flood my box, and then having to pick each paragraph out just to read it, it's annoying.

It's like reading a giant wall of text, that just keeps getting bigger and bigger. :|
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I have a different style, and it too may annoy some people.

I type very quickly, often times one line. But I do 4-6 of them. I just find it flows better, and people are able to interrupt properly. Just like in any real conversation.

I honestly don't like full on paragraph players. I remember on my home server, this one guy would just drone on about his eyes. The color, the shape, how they'd drift and how wistful they were. More than two of us would be sitting there for FIVE MINUTES waiting for him to pump out a paragraph, and only just a few words with something we can actually reply to. (Like, we're not just going to go "Hey, your eyes look very nice.")

The only time it makes sense is in combat, where detail actually helps the situation.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I post a minimum of two paragraphs.

That's about it.

I don't really appreciate having ten paragraphs flood my box, and then having to pick each paragraph out just to read it, it's annoying.

It's like reading a giant wall of text, that just keeps getting bigger and bigger. :|

I think two paragraphs is a perfect amount. Easy to read, good detail, and gets straight to the point. But when people post 7-12 paragraphs, it gets really annoying. Whenever you tell them to shorten the posts a bit, it's always the same response. "JUST BE PATIENT"...

...."No, screw you."
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I think that posting many, many paragraphs for simple actions can be a bit much. I don't mind a paragraph or two for important things like combat or storyline, etc. Something that I really don't like, though, is when people post three words for something that should be explained well.
Edited by Exalius on 11/12/2012 7:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I love reading and writing, and RP online is pretty much the perfect venue for creative writing. Not everyone uses it to describe one thing stretched out. I incorporate narrative meant for the reader/RPers, not the other characters (since a common complaint I've seen on these forums is usually "I can't read your character's mind". No duh.). Because if you don't find a character interesting, what point is there in RPing with it?

At least that's my feeling on it.

WoW I do see isn't great to foster this. I find one-lining pretty boring and having the limited text space makes it hard to get everything out in one hit at times. The WrA forums are also the first place I've ever encountered where RPers will snub at another person's writing style. It always baffles me how people involved in an activity that is based on reading and writing, don't like it when people write or they have to read... It was pretty off-putting when I first rolled here to see threads like that on the old forums. I write what is necessary to get a post across, whether it need 2 sentences or 2 paragraphs.

To imply someone's RP style is "ruining RP" is so silly to me. If you don't like how someone RPs, don't RP with them. I'm pretty sure this attitude is why WrA has its reputation for elitists and snobs. I'm not sure if you're all literally referring to people who write 10 actual paragraphs, or anyone who does more than a sentence for anything. But my impression is a the latter whenever I see these. Mostly because I've never in my WoW experience seen someone try to push 10 full paragraphs into the chat box.

Fortunately, I've always had fun RPs on here, and have had no problem playing with people who enjoy or share in my writing style. And I RP off the game a lot now, where I can post with other novella RPers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter

I think two paragraphs is a perfect amount. Easy to read, good detail, and gets straight to the point. But when people post 7-12 paragraphs, it gets really annoying. Whenever you tell them to shorten the posts a bit, it's always the same response. "JUST BE PATIENT"...

...."No, screw you."

I agree with that.

On good days, I don't mind about four paragraphs; though usually that's just my friends and I whom are posting that. And are usually somewhere quiet, not in a bustle of people.

I understand people do like to be descriptive, but that's like describing what the persons organs are doing at the moment. It gets dull rather fast.
Reply Quote
>Could be a bit more engaging if people would post part of the thought and then...

> continue with another part of the thought and then if needed...

> finish up with a bit of a wrap up.

Wouldn't make the other wait so long and start wondering if the "speaker" is still there or had to go afk and just didn't tell anyone.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
@Thane

A guild recently ran a fight ring that a good amount of people attended. Then a guild named Greedyfingers came and decided to fight also. That's fine. When one of their members got up to fight, he was gone for like 10 minutes. People were getting frustrated, waiting for their turn to fight. Then after a while a post came up. A HUGE POST. At least 8 paragraphs. The ring master told the man to shorten it a bit because we have people waiting to fight, and it's kind of a pain to read all of that. At that moment, everyone in GFE all said "WHY DONT YOU GUYS JUST BE PATIENT!?", and then they started this huge OOC argument. Sometimes they bring themselves into valued RP and ruin it but their annoying, pointless posts. I'm sorry if you're also one and don't understand other peoples points of views, but it's really irritating.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
It scares the beezus out of me every time it happens because I'm never in the area long enough to know they were already doing so...The barrage of sudden paragraphs always, always, always startles me and briefly makes me wonder if my internet connection is going to pot again.

Personally, I came from a long-form background so I get it a bit, I think. I was a forum RPer that got nudged into WoW RP. Never have fully gotten the swing of it, but I try to keep in-game RP short and as "un-purple" as I can. The tendency to get overly descriptive usually surfaces when I feel particularly inspired to write a character profile.

There's even such a backlash against descriptive profiles, I've begun taking to just drawing my characters and linking them there. :[ I should probably stop worrying so much about what other people think...

Edit: Hay Ardrenn, you should edit the guild's name out of your posts. Calling out others on the forum for negative things (no matter how justified we feel) can get you an involuntary forum vacation.
Edited by Tsokazja on 11/12/2012 7:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I'm not terribly fond of long, elaborate emotes in-game unless they're being kept to non-public channels. I do like multiple-paragraph roleplays - but I tend to keep them out of game. Forums, emails, IMs, basically formats where it's not going to be interfering with anyone else's chat box.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
There's a time and a place for it.

2 - 4 blocks in the chatlog describing how mundanely your character sits in a chair or looks around is too much.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]