Paragraph Roleplayers.

12/04/2012 06:27 AMPosted by Liotuse
*undulates*

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything, because it'd be on my monitor now.

isn't that such a friggin ' amazing word?
Reply Quote
I think it all depends on what your character is doing. If they are fighting then I can see 2-3 paragraph emotes (I personally keep to just one paragraph.) but writing a novel about how your character walks across the bar to get a drink is a little silly :-) My opinion.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
*Since I'm surfing the WrA forums anyways and posting in that one with that RP thing, I'll contribute to this one.*

As, um, a person who sometimes take centuries to type out RP emotes, it really depends on the contents of it -as some people have said. Usually, when I type pretty long emotes, it's either because a. Cheru is trying to get out of a situation if it's combat, b. I'm also emoting someone or something else (i.e. minion or pet), c. Cheru is angry and ranting his head off about something, or d. I was in the middle of typing something slowly and had to also type a reaction to someone else's actions. While some people may get a little, or very, annoyed at the pace I type at, I like to have my emotes sound as smooth and flowing as possible, and mentally kick myself when I repeat a word in a paragraph (ex. 'So and so looks up at the ceiling. Then they look at that dude with the hair over in the corner.'). I guess it's all a matter of if you are willing to sit around and be patient -which may be hard to do if the tavern is full of people also talking and crowding the chat box- and if you don't mind reading what they have to read. I don't think I've run into too many instances where someone has emoted how 'Omgorgious' they are or how 'Omfgsupapowad' they are, but, then again, my memory tends to wane when I have to think of a specific event.

Uh... so, yeah. People type differently I guess. I tend to type more on forums than in game, due to having more space/time to describe one's actions and doing more than one thing. *Shrugs* Unlimited Chat's good for some things (i.e. more private RP with friends) rather than random RP. Elephant's a good addon too if you do sit through someone's paragraph emotes in a crowded tavern, and then have to go find what they had said previously, or what you said previously, to type the next thing.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
If my emote goes past an entire single emote I usually repeat myself because I forget how I started it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I tend to post one paragraph and if it over flows, just use a > just to finish up a quick thought. I don't post ridiculously long posts unless prompted to by the other person I'm RPing with. That's a rarity for me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
12/03/2012 10:26 PMPosted by Zieto
The mind boggles at what kind of scene would require a lengthy description of every scar on a person.

Freddy Kreuger?

Not even. "Mother@#$&$#'s got a lot of scars" Easily summed up. Unless there's something tremendously special or significant about the scars you don't need to go into detail about any of them.
Reply Quote
99 Night Elf Death Knight
One of my writing teachers said that a story should be as long as Abraham Lincoln's legs. When asked how long Abraham Lincoln's legs were, my teacher answered, "Long enough to reach the floor."

I envision dialogue and emotes in the same way on this game. However much I think it takes to get a message across, that's how many lines I'll do. I think it's useless to sit and count lines, and force myself to write more, when I can fall short and add more later.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
12/04/2012 09:51 AMPosted by Riyenkai

Freddy Kreuger?

Not even. "Mother@#$&$#'s got a lot of scars" Easily summed up. Unless there's something tremendously special or significant about the scars you don't need to go into detail about any of them.

Aren't Freddy's scars actually tremendously important to the character's backstory though? Burn victim and all that jazz?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
The scars, in Krueger's case, aren't important. Or at least, not as important as the fact that he was horribly burned.

There. We just summarized it. From that point on, the subject is no longer about scars, but what happened to get them. He probably had other scars, too, but not all of them are necessarily relevant to the plot.

I don't want to seem like I'm picking on this scars issue (and if we get derailed into a discussion about scars, I'll take full blame), but you see my point. There is a story behind every scar, every smile, every wink, but not all of them are the story that need to be told right now.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
For my close circle of RP friends, we go into great detail, often at many many paragraphs, because it's enriching and helps paint a picture.

For public roleplay? I keep it at one...Maybe two.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
I find this interesting, and I can see both sides really.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue

I don't want to seem like I'm picking on this scars issue (and if we get derailed into a discussion about scars, I'll take full blame), but you see my point. There is a story behind every scar, every smile, every wink, but not all of them are the story that need to be told right now.

How do we tell what needs to be told? Especially in pick-up RP, where it's not clear what the other player will choose to respond to?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I personally prefer to write as much as I can for the situation and those I play with. I play with a variety of different writers, from one liners to multi paragraph rpers. I shift the amount I write to accommodate the flow of the situation, those who I am playing with and if I am actually feeling up to writing a whole lot.

That being said.. When people actually whisper me while I am rping one on one with someone who muilti paragraph rps with me telling me that I am wrong and should just stop... I tend to get quite defensive. When I am rping I unlock my RP chat box and make it as big as I can in the middle of my screen. This not only helps me post better but allows me to see other chats.

I encourage others to do the same but I also will say that I am not going to change the way I am rping in the moment because someone is unwilling to use the tools that they have been given them. I find it to be a tit for tat kind of thing, you expect me to abide by your small chat box while i expect you to use what you have been given to make your life so much easier.

In the end, we all do what we like to do and if you dont like how someone is rping there is always the ignore button.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
12/04/2012 01:07 PMPosted by Etovaar
/e enters the thread, not knowing what !@#$ storm would ensue. After reading the ten pages of people playing tennis with the same counter-arguments he decides to shoot himself in the face. Truly, reading paragraph upon paragraph of RP emotes is much less painful than reading a ten page thread that argues in circles.

What would you prefer to see?
Reply Quote
because someone is unwilling to use the tools that they have been given them. I find it to be a tit for tat kind of thing, you expect me to abide by your small chat box while i expect you to use what you have been given to make your life so much easier.

Hm. See, I've zero problem with paragraph roleplayers - I've maxed out at 12 posts before, when Ludovick and I were doing storyline roleplay out in the middle of nowhere.

The trouble comes, however, when someone is roleplaying paragraphs and they go beyond the scroll using an addon, and I think that's where the concern/disgruntled persons are popping up from.

Sitting in a bar, having a drink, and then people get into a roleplay fight. This addon doesn't segment the emotes, so it's... 6 - 10 posts per person, usually multiple people, to the point where the chat history is unable to be scrolled back to, because there's just too much at once and it falls off. I'm not talking about not scrolling-- I'm talking about the "tools given to us" not being able to compensate.

It's just a bit uh... hrm. I don't see it as intentionally rude or the like, but it can definitely cause a lot of trouble for the roleplayers around them with that addon, as we have to divert to whispering each other emotes because our chat boxes are too flooded, or constantly losing our place because of giant walls of text.

I love all forms of roleplay, but I just honestly feel like that addon and using it in that way is a bit inconsiderate of others. :(
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue

My face intact.

No, really. Outline the structure of discourse you would prefer to see from arguments that generally always boil down to a matter of taste.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I don't keep track of how much I have posted. I just have a habit of going into detail about what's goin on. As I said on DInthoqaf, I like to make sure people are able to imagine the important things easily enough. What's going on or not being 'played' out due to a lack of ability to do it in the game.

My posts range anywhere between a single line or emote or talk to two-three 'posts'. I use Unlimited Chat because I have a habit of losin track of my posts when I force myself to stop and send one part and then do more etc.

My post length depends on what is going on and how inspired/excited and how interested I am in the current situation.
Reply Quote

My face intact.

No, really. Outline the structure of discourse you would prefer to see from arguments that generally always boil down to a matter of taste.

I would also like to see this.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]