No Background Downloader with Patch 5.1

100 Troll Hunter
11/16/2012 08:26 AMPosted by Baillan
Will this patch be coming out this coming tuesday or the week after?
Probably later than that. They won't release the patch this tuesday right before a holiday weekend.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
I have a feeling this will fit nicely in the too-hard-basket, but I shall ask nonetheless :)

I would love to be able to download an installation package for use on several machines. We have 4 machines running Warcraft at my place, and it pains me to have to repetetively download sometimes Gigabytes worth of data for each one. My ISP certainly loves me for it (give we have data caps here).

Is there any possibility of rolling something like this out?

I think they used to be able to get it to download from other computers on a network via Bonjour on the Mac but I only know of one guy that used to work for. This would of been in the days of the streaming launcher.

There are however other solutions you can try on your end to achieve something approaching the same result as everything for World of Warcraft gets installed into the same common set of folders. Find a solution that shares those on the network and a system to update the other 4 and you have your solution right there.

It's a bit offtopic for this thread but if you make your own thread and link it here I could link it in a few places to ask around for you. I'm pretty sure some of the addon authors or windows techie guys I'm friends with has already trodden the path of what you're trying to do and can make a few suggestions.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
A crazy thought about this though. With this being "broken" this is good news with people on ISP's that throttle p2p activity. With the background downloader not in use, ISP's can not in any way shape or form thottle WoW traffic anymore which means you will see much better Performance getting to the Blizzard Servers

That's assuming the background download is the one responsible for the P2P activity and if it remains that there are no changes to the port assignments or how the packets are structured.

As I understand it this means there won't be any pre-patch downloads available on there. AFAIK It doesn't necessarily mean they're withdrawing P2P downloading.
Reply Quote
so the fact there is a long maintenance means this tuesday eh?
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I have a feeling this will fit nicely in the too-hard-basket, but I shall ask nonetheless :)

I would love to be able to download an installation package for use on several machines. We have 4 machines running Warcraft at my place, and it pains me to have to repetetively download sometimes Gigabytes worth of data for each one. My ISP certainly loves me for it (give we have data caps here).

Why wouldn't you just download on the first machine and copy the 19gb or so from that computer to the other 3 of all your game files? That's how I used to upgrade my 2nd computer for my 2nd account...
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
ok this is great cant get mine to download at all
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
ok geting Failed to read a required file.

any ideas ?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Failed to start the streaming download
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
now my launcher doesn't work for last 28 hours :<( And Teck is swamped , they can't answer anything... "What now my love?" (old song) numz
Reply Quote
74 Draenei Paladin
Failed to download at 54%. It cant read file.
Reply Quote
55 Blood Elf Death Knight
i cant log on im re-installing wow on my pc and im on stage 3 of of DL for MoP and when i try log on it says see the website.... battle.net error#144 something. seems odd cause when i installed wow on my laptop it was fine i was playing stage 3.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin

Simple... Run the installer on one machine then copy the world of warcraft folder onto the other machines over the network and write over all the files with the new ones from the machine that ran the installer. When you run the launcher it'll do a quick check for the files and then assign any missing registry keys and allow you to play faster and only using the data required for 1 game download.

Or if your router sucks like mine does for network copying then copy the files to either a dvd disc or usb drive and then copy them onto the machines that weren't updated. Its what I do to save myself time with my laptop after my desktop has been updated.
Edited by Salerix on 2/10/2013 9:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
this going to happen for 5.2 aswell?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]