How is a cliff a dead end to Jaina?

90 Human Mage
At the end of Halls of Reflection, we're trapped on the edge of a cliff. Jaina doesn't know about the airship waiting below, so she tells us that we must prepare to fight the Lich King. That doesn't make sense.

Never mind the fact that she could have simply provide us with a slowfall type ability. This is the same mage who was capable of freezing everybody in the UC, and then teleporting us back to SW. But in this particular instance, she can't figure out how to escape? There is no other option but to fight THE LICH KING?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Req
Well think about it, they've run into a dead end so there's nowhere else to run. She can jump and try to levitate down but that likely wouldn't work because the Lich King likely had powers to cancel out her levitation, and besides even if she does do that then what? What is she going to discover at the bottom? What if it's an area filled with the Scourge? Fighting the Lich King was one thing in that he could raise groups of them to fight her, but armies at the bottom? As powerful as Jaina may be I seriously doubt she could take out an entire army of the Scourge and contend with the Lich King at the same time.

And then there's the fear that even if she does jump that the Lich King could just pull her back in. I mean he is a death knight and Death Knights can use Death Grip. I think fighting the Lich King was her best option, at least for stalling for time. Maybe she knew that the Skybreaker would be waiting for her to escape from the Shadow Throne and that was her relay point for being picked up anyways. If she had jumped the Skybreaker likely wouldn't have been able to get them as easily or to delay the Lich King in order to rescue them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
It was more annoying Jaina wasn't there at the end for Arthas excluding the legendary thingy. That and Muradin as well. Ahh well....
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Well think about it, they've run into a dead end so there's nowhere else to run. She can jump and try to levitate down but that likely wouldn't work because the Lich King likely had powers to cancel out her levitation, and besides even if she does do that then what? What is she going to discover at the bottom? What if it's an area filled with the Scourge? Fighting the Lich King was one thing in that he could raise groups of them to fight her, but armies at the bottom? As powerful as Jaina may be I seriously doubt she could take out an entire army of the Scourge and contend with the Lich King at the same time.

And then there's the fear that even if she does jump that the Lich King could just pull her back in. I mean he is a death knight and Death Knights can use Death Grip. I think fighting the Lich King was her best option, at least for stalling for time. Maybe she knew that the Skybreaker would be waiting for her to escape from the Shadow Throne and that was her relay point for being picked up anyways. If she had jumped the Skybreaker likely wouldn't have been able to get them as easily or to delay the Lich King in order to rescue them.

But 6 people aren't going to stand a chance against the lich king. Even 25 still get killed when you fight him in ICC. Staying and fighting him would've been certain death, had the skybreaker not been there. By the time she says we've reached a dead end, Arthas is still shambling down the hallway. You're telling me there's no spell she could've used to save us? I mean damn, I slow fall and use invisibility all of the time in BGs lol.

There is also the moment when she Freezes Arthas long enough for us to make our escape. She's shown that she has the ability to teleport a group of people. Why couldn't she have done it then? Or why not do it when we were on the cliff?
Edited by Marcellena on 11/15/2012 12:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Death Knight

But 6 people aren't going to stand a chance against the lich king. Even 25 still get killed when you fight him in ICC. Staying and fighting him would've been certain death, had the skybreaker not been there. By the time she says we've reached a dead end, Arthas is still shambling down the hallway. You're telling me there's no spell she could've used to save us? I mean damn, I slow fall and use invisibility all of the time in BGs lol.

There is also the moment when she Freezes Arthas long enough for us to make our escape. She's shown that she has the ability to teleport a group of people. Why couldn't she have done it then? Or why not do it when we were on the cliff?

AMS was off cooldown.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I think she had more than 10 seconds to open a portal or something.

Maybe it's some sort of magic field in ICC that don't allow teleports?

I don't remember, but is there any kind of portal (mage ones) in ICC raid and dungeons? If there is indeed, then it's just a flaw.

Well, that's probably just one of these flaws they didn't stop to think about.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
11/15/2012 03:19 AMPosted by Osiria
I don't remember, but is there any kind of portal (mage ones) in ICC raid and dungeons? If there is indeed, then it's just a flaw.

There's a mage portal in Light's Hammer, and Jaina opens a portal to bring Varian and herself to the Deathbringer's Rise after Deathbringer Saurfang is defeated.

It could be that Jaina was too tired or injured to work much magic by the end of Halls of Reflection... or maybe she simply wasn't thinking clearly because she was frightened.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Or she's drained on her mana. It's not like she was totally fresh for a morning jog and just happened to come across the Lich King and your party.
Reply Quote
No more runes.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
Lorewise wards can be set up to keep people from teleporting into or out of places you don't want them to.

The Mogu in Pandaria are apparently really good at this.
Reply Quote
There's also a thing called Deathgrip. Arthas can drag her and anyone else who jumps back. You know, being the Lich King, his powers are far and beyond any normal Death Knight

And, even if they did try to levitate down... it's a looooooooooooooooooong way down. Like, really long way. She might not be able to keep her spells active that long, while trying to escape the Lich King
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
11/15/2012 06:15 AMPosted by Musubi
Or she's drained on her mana. It's not like she was totally fresh for a morning jog and just happened to come across the Lich King and your party.

This, most likely.

She'd been through at least a couple of hours without any decent opportunities to stop and rest and recuperate, given that the instances happen one after another lore-wise. And she most likely expended everything she had in her duel with the Lich King when the players arrived. After she briefly trapped him, it was all she could do to break the ice walls he'd conjured up along the escape route.

When she got outside and realized it was a dead end, she was probably preparing to go down in a blaze of glory in the worst-case (and, let's face it, most probable) scenario that there would be no way for them to escape.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Jaina simply loses her mind in this instance. Yes, there is this point at the end that is of some concern, but do you not also recall earlier in it when she, as an archmage, somehow feels the best way to take on the Lich King is to melee him with her staff?

She says she doesn't know how much longer she can do so, but you can watch her go at it for hours, never once remembering - "Oh yeah, magic..."
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Jaina simply loses her mind in this instance. Yes, there is this point at the end that is of some concern, but do you not also recall earlier in it when she, as an archmage, somehow feels the best way to take on the Lich King is to melee him with her staff?

She says she doesn't know how much longer she can do so, but you can watch her go at it for hours, never once remembering - "Oh yeah, magic..."

Maybe Arthas hitting her with Frostmourne made her go crazy like it did Illidan.
Reply Quote
15 Blood Elf Hunter
Requires reagent:Light Feather

Jaina doesnt like glyphs or planning ahead :P

In seriousness, as people have said probably worn out, or he could pull her back easily.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
It's impolite to point out the plot holes!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
He could have pulled her back, yes.

Or let her and her morons be devoured by the legions of Scourge walking around on the ground of Icecrown.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
They wouldn't end up in Icecrown. That exit was on the southern side of the mountain, overlooking the Wrathgate.
Edited by Egrem on 11/15/2012 5:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Her not having enough mana, or being too tired doesn't make sense, because after she freezes the lich king, she goes on to destroy 4 or 5 walls made of ice. You're telling me she couldn't have just ported us instead?
Reply Quote
93 Night Elf Priest
11/15/2012 07:28 PMPosted by Marcellena
Her not having enough mana, or being too tired doesn't make sense, because after she freezes the lich king, she goes on to destroy 4 or 5 walls made of ice. You're telling me she couldn't have just ported us instead?

Well, she doesn't exactly have a lot of time. Not ICly. Sure, game mechanics can have us stall and leave Arthas in his ice prison forever, but in truth, there most likely only was a few seconds of respite between Arthas being frozen and him breaking the prison. A few seconds she needed to run. And of course, right now it seems really easy to go through the place and wait half a minute for Arthas to catch up at the end, but in truth, you don't get to the end without Arthas being right on your heels, at which point you reach the cliff.

The Lich King is RIGHT THERE. She has no time to cast feather fall on more than one or two people before he force chokes her.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]