Hord fight better, Ally have better tech myth

100 Troll Shaman
11/07/2012 02:42 PMPosted by Skytotem
fragile balloons full of hot air keeping the airship up in the air...

Actually warzeppelins took a fair bit of punishment before going downs unless specialized weapons were used against them.

In fact, airships can be designed to withstand mortar fire.

It's no battlecruiser, but a zeppelin could feasibly be a perfectly valid piece of military aircraft.
Reply Quote
70 Night Elf Death Knight
Horde fight better? Varian, Uther and many other alliance have beat orcs in combat and in Strength.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Martial prowess of the Alliance is on par with the Horde depending on who it is.
Reply Quote
In fact, airships can be designed to withstand mortar fire.

It's no battlecruiser, but a zeppelin could feasibly be a perfectly valid piece of military aircraft.
One Gyro copter could destroy an entire fleet of zeppelins easily.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
11/07/2012 03:07 PMPosted by Steinsgate
Horde fight better? Varian, Uther and many other alliance have beat orcs in combat and in Strength.

Uther's a Paladin so that makes sense but Varian's bits where he bests orcs and ogres in strength is ridiculous comicbook nonsense.

EDIT:

11/07/2012 03:10 PMPosted by Steinsgate

Based on -what-?
Edited by Skytotem on 11/7/2012 3:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Horde warriors don't neccesarily fight better, they're just physically stronger.

In terms of fighting skill Horde and Alliance are roughly even, and I would give the Alliance an edge in miltary science.

Also I've never seen anything in the comics where Varian was equal to or stronger than an Orc. It was his speed and quickness that won the day for him for him more often than not.
Edited by Lochnar on 11/7/2012 3:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Uther's a Paladin so that makes sense but Varian's bits where he bests orcs and ogres in strength is ridiculous comicbook nonsense.

Varian's a top warrior...and a bit of a demi-god mortal if Goldrinn is dancing around. >_>

Also I've never seen anything in the comics where Varian was equal to or stronger than an Orc. It was his speed and quickness that won the day for him for him more often than not.

I never read the comics but I've noticed throughout the lore Orcs usually are the better fighter but again it depends on who it is.
Edited by Lorthuron on 11/7/2012 3:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
11/07/2012 03:10 PMPosted by Steinsgate

Going to have to ask for a source for this bold a statement.

11/07/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Lorthuron
I never read the comics but I've noticed throughout the lore Orcs usually are the better fighter but again it depends on who it is.

Granted, the issue of making whatever characters more or less powerful depending on their importance to the plot is one which causes some conflicting sampling.

See Admiral Taylor blocking (not parrying) a blow from Nazgrim's great axe using a short sword.

Suffice it to say, that shouldn't really hold up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Granted, the issue of making whatever characters more or less powerful depending on their importance to the plot is one which causes some conflicting sampling.

See Admiral Taylor blocking (not parrying) a blow from Nazgrim's great axe using a short sword.

Suffice it to say, that shouldn't really hold up.

It looked pretty rough. FOr a minute I thought both of them would get wounded...before the statue fell of course ^_^
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
11/07/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Pyronaptor
Their leader - the Prophet Velen - is over 25,000 years old. And it appears that Draenei don't die of old age (or they age extremely slowly) since many of them in-game were alive before Argus was destroyed. Twenty-five thousand years of martial, divine, arcane, and primal training would be impossible for the younger races to compete with. Imagine how powerful an individual would be in battle with 7 decades of training under his belt. Now imagine that same individual with 7 MILLENIA of accumulated training. Not to mention that Draenei society is ORGANIZED around fighting the Burning Legion. Not exactly a bunch of couch potatoes.

I seriously don't know where people keep getting this 'Velen is super powerful' stuff.

We have never seen the man fight before. And I don't think we will. He's a Prophet, not a Battle Priest. At every turn, he's tried to avoid battle (Which isn't a matter of cowardice, that's just his nature, he'd rather not fight).

He was one of the three leaders of the Eredar, to whom magic and martial training came as easily as a duck to water. Even after the bulk of their society turned to the Legion and rule of "might = right" came into play Kil'Jaeden reined supreme. Also remember that KJ considered Velen his equal.

So yeah, Velen likely has considerable power he has yet to bring into play simply because of gameplay mechanics. How would a Horde pug be able to kill him for the mount if he was to utilise moves even on a minor scale of what the Kil'Jaeden fight entailed.
Reply Quote
He was one of the three leaders of the Eredar, to whom magic and martial training came as easily as a duck to water. Even after the bulk of their society turned to the Legion and rule of "might = right" came into play Kil'Jaeden reined supreme. Also remember that KJ considered Velen his equal.

So yeah, Velen likely has considerable power he has yet to bring into play simply because of gameplay mechanics. How would a Horde pug be able to kill him for the mount if he was to utilise moves even on a minor scale of what the Kil'Jaeden fight entailed.
Velen never dies to those raids he just wants you to think he does, he is saving his power level for the legion.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Guns in wow are just as good as civil war era if not more so because tgey have flyimg machimes, carpet bombing abiliy and tank likee machines so riflemen can hid behind it and unload into the orcs.

In face as a hunter if you use a gun you should see the evolution of gun and weaponary. It went from musket balls to metal encase rounds so you know for a fact they have funs rhat arw vack loaders or buck shots. the alliance should switch to gun weaponary and never look back. The bow are now secondary to the guns and what you see in game is just game mexhanic.

Once again you need to look at the downside to an all rifleman alliance military. Guns can jam. Imagine you were in a battle as an alliance rifleman and a ticked off orc warrior was charging at you with a giant axe, you are about to fire but wait wait wait... gun is jamed. No time to fix it before the orc gets there. Around that time is when you would wish you had a footman to hold him off while you go fix your gun up.

Like i said before, orcs arent cowards in battle. You could be raining your gun fire on them but its all "Lok Tar ogar!" for them. You can gun up a lot before they reach you but theres still a good chance they are going to reach you. Thats why footmen are needed.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Guns in wow are just as good as civil war era if not more so because tgey have flyimg machimes, carpet bombing abiliy and tank likee machines so riflemen can hid behind it and unload into the orcs.

For all our flying machines and tanks and bombs, we still load each individual shot into our rifles.

They aren't that good.

11/07/2012 02:36 PMPosted by Kynrind
What about the dwarves? The Wildhammer have been practicing shamanism for millennium.

I read somewhere Wildhammer Dwarves didn't take up Shamanism until they moved to the Hinterlands, same time they picked up Gryphons. If that's true, then they haven't been practicing it at all as long as Orcs, Trolls, and Tauren have.
Edited by Pyronaptor on 11/7/2012 3:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock

In face as a hunter if you use a gun you should see the evolution of gun and weaponary. It went from musket balls to metal encase rounds so you know for a fact they have funs rhat arw vack loaders or buck shots. the alliance should switch to gun weaponary and never look back. The bow are now secondary to the guns and what you see in game is just game mexhanic.

Once again you need to look at the downside to an all rifleman alliance military. Guns can jam. Imagine you were in a battle as an alliance rifleman and a ticked off orc warrior was charging at you with a giant axe, you are about to fire but wait wait wait... gun is jamed. No time to fix it before the orc gets there. Around that time is when you would wish you had a footman to hold him off while you go fix your gun up.

Like i said before, orcs arent cowards in battle. You could be raining your gun fire on them but its all "Lok Tar ogar!" for them. You can gun up a lot before they reach you but theres still a good chance they are going to reach you. Thats why footmen are needed.

there is also the issue that a magic rock tied to a stick can be as powerful or more so than a gun or even a magic gun. what should work and what does work in terms of military science dont match up very often in WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
KJ got a massive power boost from Sargeras, Velen has not.
Reply Quote
11/07/2012 03:17 PMPosted by Lorthuron
throughout the lore Orcs usually are the better fighter but again it depends on who it is.

This
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
11/07/2012 04:16 PMPosted by Môko
throughout the lore Orcs usually are the better fighter but again it depends on who it is.

This

The days i wish we still had "Azerothian" Knights. /sigh
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman
11/07/2012 04:35 PMPosted by Gollard
The days i wish we still had "Azerothian" Knights

Really ought to rename the Kingdom (perhaps by absorbing the other kingdoms) or something... get a new non-lion logo.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
11/07/2012 04:35 PMPosted by Gollard

This

The days i wish we still had "Azerothian" Knights. /sigh

Hai?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
11/07/2012 04:42 PMPosted by Skytotem
The days i wish we still had "Azerothian" Knights

Really ought to rename the Kingdom (perhaps by absorbing the other kingdoms) or something... get a new non-lion logo.

Maybe. Might be confusing though being Azeroth better known as the planet instead of the continent/kingdom but i guess the same could be said for Lordaeron.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]