How important is getting hit capped?

90 Worgen Warlock
So I decided to start reforging gear, and noticed noxxic recommended I get hit capped before putting points into anything else. However, I noticed most people who are fully reforged, enchanted, and gemmed usually have less then 10, sometimes even as low as 7 or 10, having focused on other stats.

So is getting hit capped as important as noxxic implies?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Getting hit capped is always your priority after primary stats.

The reason is because being hit capped makes it so you can never miss your spells. If your spells miss that can have huge negative implications on your rotation. An example for your lock would be using up a hand of gul'dan. If it misses you won't get any molten core procs, which would be terrible for the flow of your rotation. When you have 100% hit chance you can go through your rotation without worrying about stuff like that, it won't interrupt your flow. The other stats will just increase your numbers, while lacking hit can really ruin your entire rotation.
Edited by Monmonn on 11/11/2012 8:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
What good does all that extra stats do if you don't hit your target. There are different amounts of hit you need though. You need to get more if you're raiding than if you're just doing heriocs, and need less still if you're doing PVP only. They also may be taking potions to get hit or eating hit food when they are in a raid.

But hit rating is more important than any other stat (except your primary) unitl you get to the hit cap.

I've always been of the opinion that you can be a little under and it's ok, but less than 1% under. I think it's better to be slightly under than slightly over, as you completely lose any benifit if you go over the cap.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Just like Bavra said, it also depends if you want to raid or, just want to do casual, normal instance runs... If you want to do high-end stuffs, you need to be hit capped in order to hit raid bosses, otherwise, it's not too critical. But I think getting hit capped isn't too hard this X-pack, since expertise also contributes to hit rating.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the levels are:
93 - raid bosses
92 - dungeon bosses
90 - pvp
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
93 - raid bosses
92 - dungeon bosses
90 - pvp

92 is technically a heroic dungeon boss, but you're essentially correct.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
The other confusion you may be seeing is that you might be looking at melee characters. Physical hit cap is 7.5%; spell hit cap is 15%. (Melee also need 7.5% expertise, so we just have our "fun tax" split up into two different stats instead of all in one.) Dual wielding melee characters (particularly fury warriors) sometimes go a little over the 7.5% hit cap for specials so they can get more auto-attack damage (DW auto-attack hit cap is something just obscenely high that you'll never want to actually gear for, but they do benefit from hit over cap unlike melee that only use one weapon or spellcasters). That might be where you're seeing some of the "over 7% but under 10%" type numbers.

Things like the draenei hit racial aren't currently showing up on the armory, so a draenei will have 1% more hit in game than it shows on the armory.

Being hit capped is super important for raiding, and somewhat less important for heroics, but being closer to having hit rating capped for the content you're doing will improve your DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
11/11/2012 11:43 PMPosted by Honorata
The other confusion you may be seeing is that you might be looking at melee characters. Physical hit cap is 7.5%; spell hit cap is 15%. (Melee also need 7.5% expertise, so we just have our "fun tax" split up into two different stats instead of all in one.)

That explains it.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
93 - raid bosses
92 - dungeon bosses
90 - pvp

92 is technically a heroic dungeon boss, but you're essentially correct.

Then are regular dungeon bosses 91?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The other confusion may also be very warlock-specific.

I've noticed that on sites like noxxic and icy-veins there's some discussion among warlocks whether hit-capped is essential for Affliction warlocks, even in raids. Simcraft has suprising had hit as the 3rd or 4th most important stat for some Affliction 'locks.

The argument is that with Pandemic, missing the cast of a DoT is not really very severe since you now still have a few seconds to cast it again. There are pros and cons to it - you have to change your playstyle a bit, and missing on some spells is still severe - especially if you miss Haunt or let Agony fall off. I don't want to get into a big discussion here and I wouldn't even have brought it up except the OP is also a warlock, It's more the type of thing to bring up on the Warlock class forum.

I personally still prefer to be hit-capped or close to it, but you may see some raiding warlocks who aren't hit-capped.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/17/2012 11:49 PMPosted by Dragonjts
Then are regular dungeon bosses 91?

No, they're whatever level the dungeon is. Jade Temple is an 85-87 normal dungeon so the bosses are considered level 87 on normal.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Ah, okay. Thanks for the info.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Slightly related: Although it doesn't say so anywhere in-game, Expertise also grants Spell Hit as of 5.0. This means you can reforge into Expertise for some extra Hit if a piece of gear already has Hit on it (and the extra Hit will provide more benefit than the other secondary stat on the item).

1 Expertise Rating = 1 Hit Rating (for spells only, not melee or ranged).

Expertise will negate dodge and spell miss, then parry.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/4544194
Edited by Choonster on 11/18/2012 7:59 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]