Fishing for Sugar Minnows

90 Undead Priest
I cannot fish these out of anywhere I've tried in the Jade Forest. My fishing level is 549, and I use a +100 lure. I leveled from 525 to 549 trying to catch 10 of these things for a quest, and I haven't been successful at all. Zero catches. I've tried schools, no schools, different locations, and spoke with someone who was catching them, so I know it's possible, but what am I doing wrong?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
First of all, make sure you're on the quest and not in a raid group.

Second of all, you only get them on a successful catch, ie: not driftwood or other grey vendor junk like that. If your fishing level is holding you back then be sure you fish only from schools, as they always have a 100% chance at a successful catch.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
that's weird, for me they are 100% drop. You must be doing something wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
10/25/2012 09:09 PMPosted by Vekter
If your fishing level is holding you back then be sure you fish only from schools,

I'm only 338 fishing, and yeah, I need to go for nodes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
You have to be on the quest. As you are level 87, I am guessing that is the problem.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
10/25/2012 09:11 PMPosted by Desra
You have to be on the quest. As you are level 87, I am guessing that is the problem.

Can you get those dailies before 90? And why would he need them if not?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
10/25/2012 09:13 PMPosted by Ajule

You can't. Sugar Minnows are only part of that one daily.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
10/25/2012 09:14 PMPosted by Manik

You can't. Sugar Minnows are only part of that one daily.

I thought so, but I was of course focused on leveling, so I thought maybe I missed something.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
And if you have certain chats disabled, look in your backpack to make sure you don't already have 10 of them.

o.O
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
10/25/2012 09:10 PMPosted by Yakuchin

Almost 100% at 600 skill..

The Dojani Eels on the other hand...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
This is the first time I've read that you need to be on the quest to actually catch these. If true, it does explain the problem. And no, they're not sitting in my bags, because then the quest would be complete. I haven't tried fishing with the DK who actually picked up the quest, as I assumed his level zero fishing skill might cause some problems. I will see if it's possible for the DK to catch some of these, and report back. Thanks for the tips.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
10/25/2012 09:43 PMPosted by Holyfear
This is the first time I've read that you need to be on the quest to actually catch these. If true, it does explain the problem. And no, they're not sitting in my bags, because then the quest would be complete. I haven't tried fishing with the DK who actually picked up the quest, as I assumed his level zero fishing skill might cause some problems. I will see if it's possible for the DK to catch some of these, and report back. Thanks for the tips.

If you catch junk, you don't get the minnow. It's 100% only if you catch another fish. So not actually 100% ;)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
wierd....

i walk to the river that is right there...

get those in 10 casts...

20 more sometimes for the stupid fish i need for fish cakes...

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut i have serpent riding so screw that place now.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
10/25/2012 09:31 PMPosted by Quintzaker

Almost 100% at 600 skill..

The Dojani Eels on the other hand...

I swear I've fished up nearly every piece of junk in that river after those slippery eels >.<
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm just curious as to why you were trying to fish them up in the first place. That is, what made you go "I need to fish up Sugar Minnows?"

If you weren't on the quest for them and aren't at a level to have a use for them, I'm just wondering what led you to wanting to fish for them in the first place.
Reply Quote
5 Tauren Druid
The waters right beside the quest giver should be fine. You'll get the carp for the cooking quest too.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
The quest is a daily for the cloud serpent people at the Arboretum, and I picked it up like every other daily I see. The quest giver says something about "you know how to fish?" or something like that, and since I have only one toon who bothers to fish, I switched toons, and started trying to catch them.

BTW, I trained the DK for fishing, flew to Jade Forest, and as long as the lure hits a school of fish, the minnows popped up 100 %. I didn't even bother with a lure or pole, just cast it out there with the stick that pops up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
The quest is a daily for the cloud serpent people at the Arboretum, and I picked it up like every other daily I see. The quest giver says something about "you know how to fish?" or something like that, and since I have only one toon who bothers to fish, I switched toons, and started trying to catch them.

BTW, I trained the DK for fishing, flew to Jade Forest, and as long as the lure hits a school of fish, the minnows popped up 100 %. I didn't even bother with a lure or pole, just cast it out there with the stick that pops up.

Well yes, pools are 100% no matter if you have 1 or 600 fishing skill.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
These don't drop from sha touched water, i presume because its not fresh or salt. But yea fish in a pool and your fine even at level 1.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman

Well yes, pools are 100% no matter if you have 1 or 600 fishing skill.

I'd prefer to fish in the open salt/freshwater... because of the Nat Pagle dailies...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]