I'm uhnappy w/ the current representatives II

(Locked)

1 Troll Hunter
Since the last one capped ...

No. They're fine.

This community deserves this. They're a petulant lot that spends all their time dog piling on any blue or green that posts.

The blues/greens are wearing thin, and who can blame them?

A small percent of the actual players ever come here to the forums, so chasing off a few basement dwelling missing links won't damage the bottomline much.

While I agree that the members of this community are generally pretty terrible people, I consider most CM blue posters (not GC, he is a developer, who just so happens to take some time to communicate with us [and this includes the other developers and class designers and whatnot]) and the MVP green posters to have a "customer service/relations" type of role here on the forums.

That said, here is what my view of such a role is:

a) They chose to either be employed as a blue-poster, or take on the mantle (i.e., cloaked in authority - or agency) of responsibility that comes with being a green poster.

b) They knew coming in that the forums are a "wretched hive of scum and villainy", showcasing the worst of what this gaming community has to offer. They knew it is where people come to vent their frustrations, make suggestions, seek answers, pick fights (troll), and generally just be ignorant.

c) The customer service role is one where you are employed to have a thick skin, take a certain measure of abuse from the customer, and do so with a crap-eating grin. If the abuse of a certain individual is too much, they should be reported/banned/whatever. At no point should the customer service member talk down to the customer. Their job is to grin and bear it, regardless of how wrong the customer is. They tell them what they want to hear (and let's not pretend that Blizzard doesn't do this to us) so that they go away.

Most of the blues and all of the greens need to be reminded of this.

Someone also commented about how they think it's gotten worse. Well, that's what happens when there are no reprisals for the people who are rude to their paying customers. They get more and more bold, until they get completely out of line, and then you have the potential of a major incident.

In closing, I'd say that I don't want to discourage wit and sarcasm from the coloured-posters entirely. It just needs to be used in a way that is not being derogatory towards the customer-base.
100 Night Elf Priest
Your view of customer service is flawed.
100 Draenei Death Knight
Here's the deal: they should feel empowered to smack down someone who's being a tool. Coming in here making demands as though the CMs live only to serve us, being rude, demanding people be fired because they didn't do exactly as someone wanted, insisting on ridiculous conspiracy theories, etc. is not a scenario that should be taken with any grace.

The customer is not always right. No one should be expected to constantly be pelted with !@#$e and smile as globules of it drip down their face and chest. You reach a point where the proper response to someone misbehaving is "Stop being an idiot", not "Yes, of course, we understand."

People demand answers like monarchs, then insult CMs for answering in the fashions they're able to. I wish they'd be more forceful, and honestly wish they'd hand out forums bans that carry an equal game-time ban.

It might finally start cleaning these forums up a bit, and if some of the self-entitled sorts want to threaten to leave the game over being put in their place, I say "good riddance". They do more harm to this game's communities than any remote benefit they bring.
MVP - World of Warcraft
12 Troll Shaman
11/06/2012 02:05 PMPosted by Seduction

I agree that customer service doesn't mean taking abuse without complaint. That said, unless we're talking about one of the support forums, this place is run by the community team. Community management isn't the same as customer service. Customer service helps you out when you (personally) have a problem. Community managers are liaisons between the developers and the players. It's their job to listen to all the noise on the forums (and elsewhere in the community) and translate it to the developers, and it's also their job to communicate with us what the developers are doing and where they're taking the game. It's not about giving players what they want all the time, or avoiding moderation at all costs.
Edited by Faizaniel on 11/6/2012 2:13 PM PST
100 Night Elf Priest
The idiocy that runs rampant on these forums should not be tolerated. They're doing a *great job* of not wiping the slate clean for some people who do nothing but complain. Bring some constructive feedback to the table and have an open mind.
90 Worgen Warrior
11/06/2012 02:12 PMPosted by Seduction
The idiocy that runs rampant on these forums should not be tolerated.

I like that line.

I also agree with Faizaniel, CM's aren't the same thing as a support representative. They can get sarcastic, sure, but I rarely see anything that may be considered unprofessional.
90 Tauren Warrior

No, his view of customer service it spot on and correct. But next time someone is rude to you when you are purchasing something. Remember your own words, and keep your mouth shut to the management. Lest you be a hypocrite.
100 Draenei Death Knight
11/06/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Herethebeef

No, his view of customer service it spot on and correct. But next time someone is rude to you when you are purchasing something. Remember your own words, and keep your mouth shut to the management. Lest you be a hypocrite.

No one's saying people shouldn't raise concerns. There's a proper and improper way to do it, however, and many times, concerns are raised improperly on these forums: posters come off aggressively, accusatorily, spouting ridiculous conspiracy theories, insisting Blizzard doesn't care about its customers at all, and in the worst cases calling for someone to lose their job and livelihood because that person and/or their team didn't do something exactly the way the poster wanted.

Blizzard encourages us, its customers, to bring issues to their attention, but to do so in a fashion that provides possible solutions and gives concrete examples, something they can take back to the development team.

"Blizz, ur class balance sucks, im unsubbing and going 2 play GW2 lulz" does nothing. It gives them nothing they can suggest to the devs to improve the game.

"Blizz, I think that CC is too heavy in BGs and Arenas, and it's crapping on my experience. Maybe look into increasing cooldowns or disabling some abilities in PvP?" It's crude, but it still gives them something to use.

The latter is a lot more useful, and appropriate.
90 Blood Elf Paladin

No, no it isn't. "The customer is always right" is Tauren doodies. The more accurate saying is "The customer is almost never right, but they are important so try and figure out a way to please them without exposing them as wrong TOO harshly."
100 Night Elf Priest

There is also a way to be a good customer. So yes, the OP's view of customer service is very much flawed and, if you ever encounter it, should become aware immediately of its dis-service to both parties.
90 Human Priest

You know what I've noticed? Employees tend to be much nicer to me when I'm nice to them.

I wonder why that is...
100 Human Warlock

While I agree that the members of this community are generally pretty terrible people, I consider most CM blue posters (not GC, he is a developer, who just so happens to take some time to communicate with us [and this includes the other developers and class designers and whatnot]) and the MVP green posters to have a "customer service/relations" type of role here on the forums.

Well, whether that's true about the CMs, it's definitely not true for the MVP posters. they are not customer service, they are not customer relations, they are not Blizzard employees. They are under no obligation to act in that role.
90 Draenei Shaman

Agreed. You ever worked in customer service, bro?

Besides, they are not really 'customer service reps', they are something else entirely. And I, for one, am happy with them. So don't speak for me.
100 Night Elf Priest
Decades ago my parents taught me the value of treating people with respect. Just because the forum allows some semblance of anonymity (at least to other players) doesn't mean you can run rough-shot over the community managers and fellow players. The squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease, but greasing the skids sure helps your cause.
91 Human Hunter
I honestly believe that there are both excellent representatives and ones that need training in both customer service and basic concepts of communication. Recently I have been deeply impressed with the quality of a few blue and green posts - particularly by Omegal, who presents him/herself really well in my opinion and is a good voice to have around. That being said I have also seen some really bad green and blue posts. (I emailed in about one of the green posts in particular.) Ultimately however I firmly believe that GC is the worst influence on it all.

I do not think it is fair or appropriate to lump all of these people in together. They are individuals and should be given the respect of dealing with them individually. I also think that the posts suggesting emailing comments were right - and really we would be better off doing that.
Community Manager
This thread has been locked for violating Forum Guidelines.

To provide feedback on the North American team, please email wowcmfeedback@blizzard.com.

Please note that while emails sent to the address will likely not receive a response, but each one will be read and handled accordingly.
Community Manager
I'm reopening this thread since it's a broader discussion about the role of Community Managers. Rygarius is right though. We strongly recommend that feedback regarding Community Managers or any of our specific posts be sent to WoWCMFeedback@Blizzard.com. We want to make sure gameplay discussions remain the central focus of these forums.

Umumaru, you make some fair points about professionalism. I'd rather not break them down to provide feedback on everything said, as I don't think this is a topic that most players on the forums would prefer I spend much time focusing on.

All that said, I want to briefly address this statement:

Their job is to grin and bear it, regardless of how wrong the customer is. They tell them what they want to hear (and let's not pretend that Blizzard doesn't do this to us) so that they go away.

We just don't agree with this. I'd like to avoid a semantic argument so I'll agree that, on some level, the community team is a form of customer support, as much as we're also a function of public relations. But, while we're linked directly to public relations as a communications branch at Blizzard, we're not directly tied to customer support.

One of the biggest components of our jobs is community engagement. We can't effectively be functioning members of the community, relate to the community on a personal level, and maintain a two-day dialog in discussions which largely revolve around subjective experiences and opinion, if our job is to "grin and bear it."

Everyday I'm sharing with the community on the forums, Twitter, and email my view of things, even as an official representative of Blizzard. I wouldn't love my career so much if I didn't actually believe what I'm saying or have the freedom to share my stance on things, or if my only role was to be someone's mouthpiece. On a personal level, I approach the forums each day hoping I can do some good, share helpful insights or new information, and encourage people to want to come to the forums for constructive reasons -- to speak reasonably and frankly about World of Warcraft with other players and representatives of Blizzard.
90 Tauren Warrior
11/06/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Illucia

You know what I've noticed? Employees tend to be much nicer to me when I'm nice to them.

I wonder why that is...

Irrelevant.

Go ask any manager of any store what he/she thinks a customer service reps job is to do in the face of a "rude" customer.
90 Pandaren Shaman
11/06/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Herethebeef
Go ask any manager of any store what he/she thinks a customer service reps job is to do in the face of a "rude" customer.

11/06/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Zarhym
We just don't agree with this. I'd like to avoid a semantic argument so I'll agree that, on some level, the community team is a form of customer support, as much as we're also a function of public relations. But, while we're linked directly to public relations as a communications branch at Blizzard, we're not directly tied to customer support.

Etc.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]