I'm uhnappy w/ the current representatives II

(Locked)

As he said, they are more public relations. It is not the same people doing both jobs, not in any business I ever worked in.

Job titles more of a way to separate pay grades than they are to distinguish actual duties.

You haven't worked in an office before, have you? A job title also includes job responsibilities. I'm willing to bet that the CM title does not have much to do with customer service short of "don't call the customer an A-Hole". However they do have the right to state an opinion, that is their job. If they just "Grin and bear it" then they would never need to post because their function is to post to get people to post more. Opposing opinions is the BEST way to get a discussion going.
Edited by Kaden on 11/6/2012 3:17 PM PST
90 Human Warlock
11/06/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Herethebeef

You know what I've noticed? Employees tend to be much nicer to me when I'm nice to them.

I wonder why that is...

Irrelevant.

Go ask any manager of any store what he/she thinks a customer service reps job is to do in the face of a "rude" customer.

There is a difference between a "rude" and an "upset" customer. In a former job we stopped providing service to a customer who was verbally abusive to her rep, the CEO even got involved personally to deal with it.

Sometimes a customer is upset, and you try and explain a situation to them and give them choices based on what their needs seem to be, but abusive behavior does't have to be tolerated.

The blues deal with people who are flat out lying on these forums every day in an effort to try and get game features they don't like changed. They certainly should be allowed to show the truth about how the systems work and how "required" they are.

If giving good information is a problem, then I like the problem.
90 Dwarf Paladin
11/06/2012 03:16 PMPosted by Vynianyx
I agree, I've had patients get super pissed at me because the doctor said they are on a fluid restriction. Or that the nurse can't give them their pain meds for another hour. I'm like, "Sorry I'm just the messenger :( I can give you a hot pack or ice pack for pain, but your Morphine isn't due for another hour D:"

I was one of those patients and I did abuse my nurses. Luckily they wouldn't put up with my crap and set me straight.
90 Human Warrior
11/06/2012 03:16 PMPosted by Judgedredde
I'm sorry, but at what point does a blue poster go too far though? I've been seeing and I know that's what spurred this on, a certain EU blue poster who everyone damn well knows who I'm talking about literally take the tone of sarcasm and trolling for MONTHS in well publicized blue posts and yet these are things outlined in the forum guidelines as what not to do.

some would say that EU poster is actually doing a very good job. unlike most of the NA blue posters' the EU ones post in threads that actually discuss real aspects of wow, not some fictitious sha of happiness thread.

for example just look at this thread.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5847924838?page=1

perhaps the EU playerbase is not as unruly as this one and can actually have proper discussions. maybe the blues do stay away from the real issues on here because of the community.

And you're whining about this because??? ...*Facedesk*
90 Pandaren Rogue
I may not like everything the blues post, but I do at least keep a level of respect for them. I've worked retail/cust service for years and have been called just about everything imaginable. I really don't know how the blues keep their cool with a lot of the forum goers.

Corny as it is, when I get a rude ahole customer at work I think to the movie Road House where Patrick Swayze says "It's a job. Nothing personal". Then I start to be super nice to them which generally ends up pissing them off even more.
- Hearthstone
90 Tauren Paladin
11/06/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Zarhym
Their job is to grin and bear it, regardless of how wrong the customer is. They tell them what they want to hear (and let's not pretend that Blizzard doesn't do this to us) so that they go away.

We just don't agree with this. I'd like to avoid a semantic argument so I'll agree that, on some level, the community team is a form of customer support, as much as we're also a function of public relations. But, while we're linked directly to public relations as a communications branch at Blizzard, we're not directly tied to customer support.

One of the biggest components of our jobs is community engagement. We can't effectively be functioning members of the community, relate to the community on a personal level, and maintain a two-day dialog in discussions which largely revolve around subjective experiences and opinion, if our job is to "grin and bear it."

Everyday I'm sharing with the community on the forums, Twitter, and email my view of things, even as an official representative of Blizzard. I wouldn't love my career so much if I didn't actually believe what I'm saying or have the freedom to share my stance on things, or if my only role was to be someone's mouthpiece. On a personal level, I approach the forums each day hoping I can do some good, share helpful insights or new information, and encourage people to want to come to the forums for constructive reasons -- to speak reasonably and frankly about World of Warcraft with other players and representatives of Blizzard.

Translation: Blizzard has never, and will never, follow the archaic and inefficient motto, "The customer is always right".

CMs are there to facilitate communication and proper discussion of game issues, not take insults and ill-informed demands from ignorant customers expecting to get their way. Go to Wal-Mart and yell at that manager if you want that.
87 Troll Hunter
I consider most CM blue posters (not GC, he is a developer, who just so happens to take some time to communicate with us [and this includes the other developers and class designers and whatnot]) and the MVP green posters to have a "customer service/relations" type of role here on the forums.

That said, here is what my view of such a role is:

Luckily for them, you're opinion of what their job/role entails is irrelevant.

The customer service role is one where you are employed to have a thick skin, take a certain measure of abuse from the customer, and do so with a crap-eating grin. If the abuse of a certain individual is too much, they should be reported/banned/whatever. At no point should the customer service member talk down to the customer. Their job is to grin and bear it, regardless of how wrong the customer is. They tell them what they want to hear (and let's not pretend that Blizzard doesn't do this to us) so that they go away.

There is absolutely nothing here that is true of a real customer service position.
80 Gnome Rogue
AnW
11/06/2012 03:00 PMPosted by Opolis
So a representative of a company that interacts with customers has nothing to do with customer service? Riiiight...

I interact with 'customers' sometimes. I'm sure as hell not customer service and anyone that tries to tell me so is going to be laughed at - loudly and for a long, long time.
90 Human Warlock
11/06/2012 03:10 PMPosted by Opolis

As he said, they are more public relations. It is not the same people doing both jobs, not in any business I ever worked in.

Job titles more of a way to separate pay grades than they are to distinguish actual duties.

Not every company is McDonalds where anyone can do any job.
90 Worgen Warlock
I'm reopening this thread since it's a broader discussion about the role of Community Managers. Rygarius is right though. We strongly recommend that feedback regarding Community Managers or any of our specific posts be sent to WoWCMFeedback@Blizzard.com. We want to make sure gameplay discussions remain the central focus of these forums.

Umumaru, you make some fair points about professionalism. I'd rather not break them down to provide feedback on everything said, as I don't think this is a topic that most players on the forums would prefer I spend much time focusing on.

All that said, I want to briefly address this statement:

Their job is to grin and bear it, regardless of how wrong the customer is. They tell them what they want to hear (and let's not pretend that Blizzard doesn't do this to us) so that they go away.

We just don't agree with this. I'd like to avoid a semantic argument so I'll agree that, on some level, the community team is a form of customer support, as much as we're also a function of public relations. But, while we're linked directly to public relations as a communications branch at Blizzard, we're not directly tied to customer support.

One of the biggest components of our jobs is community engagement. We can't effectively be functioning members of the community, relate to the community on a personal level, and maintain a two-day dialog in discussions which largely revolve around subjective experiences and opinion, if our job is to "grin and bear it."

Everyday I'm sharing with the community on the forums, Twitter, and email my view of things, even as an official representative of Blizzard. I wouldn't love my career so much if I didn't actually believe what I'm saying or have the freedom to share my stance on things, or if my only role was to be someone's mouthpiece. On a personal level, I approach the forums each day hoping I can do some good, share helpful insights or new information, and encourage people to want to come to the forums for constructive reasons -- to speak reasonably and frankly about World of Warcraft with other players and representatives of Blizzard.

You don't have to agree with it but if you don't do exactly what you don't agree with you will lose millions of dollars in subs. You have people hooked on your product so you think you can treat them with disdain like a drug dealer to an addict. People will run to the best next thing just to not deal with your arrogance. Have fun losing money over that high horse attitude you all seem to have.
90 Dwarf Paladin
11/06/2012 03:24 PMPosted by Judgedredde

you cant even read between the lines? you rarely if at all see blues here posting on issues like that. such a thread on NA forums will probably not make it past the second page before the thread is derailed by name calling.

That seems to be it, a Blue response almost guarantees that civil discourse, if it existed at all, is basically over, whether they instigate it or not. They are human starting guns. We can discuss game issues in the forums for Blizzard to read over at their leisure but inviting them to speak seems to be contrary to actually having a discussion.
90 Human Warrior
11/06/2012 03:24 PMPosted by Judgedredde

you cant even read between the lines? you rarely if at all see blues here posting on issues like that. such a thread on NA forums will probably not make it past the second page before the thread is derailed by name calling.

And that's Blizzard's fault how? I don't blame them for avoiding certain threads. I mean not all of us are civil and well mannered or even intelligent enough to have a good discussion. I mean someone actually !@#$%ed about a thread I made about your character's death and a Blue posted in there. I felt honored, Blizzard employees are human beings. They're allowed to be silly every now and then.

If they can't do that then I feel sorry for them.
90 Human Mage
11/06/2012 03:28 PMPosted by Dethh
You don't have to agree with it but if you don't do exactly what you don't agree with you will lose millions of dollars in subs. You have people hooked on your product so you think you can treat them with disdain like a drug dealer to an addict. People will run to the best next thing just to not deal with your arrogance. Have fun losing money over that high horse attitude you all seem to have.

When was a Blue poster outright rude, to you personally? Because you're making it sound like they treat us all badly, and I gotta tell you, I don't see or feel it.
Edited by Ajulynn on 11/6/2012 3:33 PM PST
90 Pandaren Monk
11/06/2012 02:49 PMPosted by Herethebeef

You know what I've noticed? Employees tend to be much nicer to me when I'm nice to them.

I wonder why that is...

Irrelevant.

Go ask any manager of any store what he/she thinks a customer service reps job is to do in the face of a "rude" customer.

How about this then:

I used to work in a truck stop, and my manager told all his employees "Be polite, but if you ever let one of those drivers run over you, then I'm firing you."

A driver once decided to get physical with me, and I punched him. Said managers respose? A pat on the back and "Good Job."
90 Tauren Druid
The thing about this forum is that it has always needed very strict moderation, and I am talking some serious iron banhammer. Does anyone remember the EverQuest forums, which eventually got nicknamed "whineplay" for a reason? Yeah - they had to be shut down because they just descended into a mess.

These forums have the capability to actually be pretty good, but unfortunately, Blizzard has seemed unwilling to do what is needed to really clean it up. Worthless/no content post (aka "First!", "<insert catchphrase here and nothing else>", etc)? Ban. People that do nothing but troll? Ban. Mod agitation? Ban. Make it 1 day for a first offense, 3 days for a second, and permanent thereafter. Also, remove the general forum so that people have to spend two seconds thinking what their topic is relevant to, and put it in the appropriate forum. That would really go a long way towards improving it. One need look no further than EJ for a great community, largely in part due to the very strict moderation.
90 Dwarf Paladin
11/06/2012 03:28 PMPosted by Dethh

When did this one, I barely even want to call it an incident, suddenly turn Blizzard into Juan Valdez?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]