LUA Error

90 Undead Warlock
have no clue what this means.?
Message: ...er4\libs\LibActionButton-1.0\LibActionButton-1.0.lua:1305: script ran too long
Time: Thu Nov 8 14:14:41 2012
Count: 1
Stack: ...er4\libs\LibActionButton-1.0\LibActionButton-1.0.lua:1305: in function `SetTooltip'
...er4\libs\LibActionButton-1.0\LibActionButton-1.0.lua:1116: in function <...er4\libs\LibActionButton-1.0\LibActionButton-1.0.lua:1110>
...er4\libs\LibActionButton-1.0\LibActionButton-1.0.lua:517: in function <...er4\libs\LibActionButton-1.0\LibActionButton-1.0.lua:515>

Locals: self = BT4Button33 {
FlyoutBorderShadow = BT4Button33FlyoutBorderShadow {
}
actionName = BT4Button33Name {
}
action = 0
border = BT4Button33Border {
}
flash = BT4Button33Flash {
}
_state_action = 33
icon = BT4Button33Icon {
}
count = BT4Button33Count {
}
flashing = 0
state_actions = <table> {
}
rangeTimer = -1
hotkey = BT4Button33HotKey {
}
id = 33
normalTexture = BT4Button33NormalTexture {
}
0 = <userdata>
__LAB_Version = 32
outOfRange = false
config = <table> {
}
FlyoutBorder = BT4Button33FlyoutBorder {
}
_state_type = "action"
state_types = <table> {
}
FlyoutArrow = BT4Button33FlyoutArrow {
}
cooldown = BT4Button33Cooldown {
}
header = BT4Bar3 {
}
}
(*temporary) = nil
(*temporary) = "script ran too long"
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
That's blizzard's very bad implementation of addon throttling. Generating lua errors that make no sense to the end user. "script ran to long" basically means blizzard blocked the addon mid combat from performing a function and as a result that addon broke. Not for any bug in addon itself, but because blizz decided that addon was using too much cpu (and maybe it was). best you can do is contact bartender addon author and see what he can do to improve cpu usage of mod to avoid blizzards throttling (make sure you're running latest version of mod too as he may have already done so).

As for the throttling itself, i wish blizz would do it in a more intuitive manner and not one that says "here is a massive error message you don't understand". Maybe even an option to not actually stop the addon from working but instead warn "bartender is running slow and may slow down your interface or lower fps, do you want to disable it now?" and if you hit no, just ignore that mod (or just that function in that mod) for rest of session.
most of the things blizz throttles are actually one time code executions (such as trying to open config in combat. Config box creation is slow but not do to bad code, but blizz can't tell diff, and it just fails with script ran too long error instead of opening config box for you. In fact, most addons can't create config frame in combat do to blizzards throttling. however, had it not been blocked, frame creation would have taken 1-2 sec tops and after that been cached and not needed that cpu ever again until logout.)
Edited by Omegal on 11/8/2012 12:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Been searching for hours for this exact answer, no one else had any clue, this should be stickied in the addon forum or something!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Thanx so much for that explanation, i actually now understand it! :-)
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
How bout an answer from Blizzard themselves rather just an MVP. Believe me I appreciate the feed back Omegal but I would like to see a chance of a fix on this from Blizzard rather than just people stating as to why its broken.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
12/05/2012 07:51 PMPosted by Johanlex
How bout an answer from Blizzard themselves rather just an MVP. Believe me I appreciate the feed back Omegal but I would like to see a chance of a fix on this from Blizzard rather than just people stating as to why its broken.

there is no "fix" (other than maybe refining the error to be more user intuitive and explain what's happening instead of spitting out greek to the average user).
they did that on purpose. it's working as intended. script ran too long means blizzard blocked an addon from using too much cpu. the solution is to first see if the addon can be fixed. this error does identify addons that are coded poorly. if author of said addon says there isn't more that they can do. can you avoid that specific function in combat? for example, opening the addons config in combat is a big one that triggers these.
Edited by Omegal on 12/6/2012 11:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
To get a more appropriate response, the UI/Macro forum may be the best place for you. Inquiries like these are outside scope of the Tech forums.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]