Another wave of Class/Race combos?

100 Troll Hunter
Giving Trolls "the light" seems like a fantastic way to both dilute the race's already pissed-on culture.

Except it's not the Light. It's already a part of the culture.

Hell, the Darkspear worship a Loa right now that despises undeath, seeing it as an incursion onto his dominion over the afterlife.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
11/13/2012 01:14 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
Giving Trolls "the light" seems like a fantastic way to both dilute the race's already pissed-on culture.

Except it's not the Light. It's already a part of the culture.

Hell, the Darkspear worship a Loa right now that despises undeath, seeing it as an incursion onto his dominion over the afterlife.

I'm pretty sure every race despises Undeath to some extent, that's hardly a reason for them to be Paladins.

Btw I'm not trying to disagree just wanted to point that out.
Edited by Haely on 11/13/2012 1:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/13/2012 01:15 PMPosted by Haely
I'm pretty sure every race despises Undeath to some extent, that's hardly a reason for them to be Paladins.

Well the Horde must not despise it that badly. Hell, the Forsaken work so well with the Revantusk Tribe because the Revantusk are used to being around the Undead.

But Bwonsamdi is a specific Loa who hates Undeath, and would likely empower his followers with special magic to fight against them (That's what he did the in the RPG, even).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Draenei Rogues: could be the a secret police force of the draenei. that deal with finding and eliminating Legion spies and sympathizers that may have infiltrated the exodar. lorewise would be closer to assassination rogue/ priest hybrid. giving the draenei a more sinister, zealous, darker side that would fit within the lore.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I obviously disagree with the idea that Blood Elves could never be Druids. They totally have the capacity for Druids as a race.

The Blood Elves are a long lived race, and thus have more opportunity for experience as well as patience. Nature is still a part of Blood Elven culture, as while you do have the manipulative Magi, you still have groups of conservative Blood Elves who still revere nature. Especially with the Sunwells re-ignition, you even have many wayward groups of Blood Elves such as the Blood Knights becoming more virtuous.

There's no reason that some of the Blood Elves couldn't consider learning Druidism to better help Quel'thalas in general, as well as join the Cenarion Circle perhaps.

On the flipside, you could have the Blood Elves reinvent the class for themselves in the same way as Tauren reinvented Paladins for themselves. The Blood Elves of Silvermoon could study Druidism simply as a class of magic, as opposed to violently controlling it like Freywinn.

Druidism even applies Arcane Magic. The Highborne were even allied with an Ancient of Arcane, Arcosin which seems to be somewhat natural, unlike the Warp Splinters in the Botanica which were forcibly infused with Arcane Magic.

I also don't agree with the sentiment that there initially needs to be a large group of said race in order to have a certain class viable. As the Tauren equivalent of Paladins started with 2 Tauren, the Draenei Shaman were few in number as were Darkspear Druids, as well as Gnome Priests which lacked both precedence and reinvented their definition of the class.

Speaking of Gnomes, I still think they should definitely be able to have Hunters, as well as Paladins.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I really do like the idea of Draenei Warlocks as well, I think that they'd be an interesting addition to the Draenei that would give them more of a dynamic to the Draenei, one that Shamans just couldn't give them.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/13/2012 08:36 PMPosted by Selesnya
Nature is still a part of Blood Elven culture, as while you do have the manipulative Magi, you still have groups of conservative Blood Elves who still revere nature.

This is a very common misconception.

If they truly revered Nature, they wouldn't magically manipulate their homeland to be one friggin season all year.

Also, Druids don't actually use Arcane magic, Arcane magic isn't natural. The Arcane damage in Druid spells in a game mechanic for Eluneite type magic.
Edited by Pyronaptor on 11/13/2012 10:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
11/13/2012 10:49 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
If they truly revered Nature, they wouldn't magically manipulate their homeland to be one friggin season all year.

That's the kind of druids they would be. They manipulate the nature to keep their land in what they consider to be the "high quality" one.

11/13/2012 10:49 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
Also, Druids don't actually use Arcane magic, Arcane magic isn't natural. The Arcane damage in Druid spells in a game mechanic for Eluneite type magic.

In fact, they use. Elune is basically a goddess of arcane. It's simply that druids use a natural kind of arcane instead of manipulating it into something else, like mages.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
11/13/2012 11:19 PMPosted by Osiria
That's the kind of druids they would be. They manipulate the nature to keep their land in what they consider to be the "high quality" one.

Now that I think about it, that sounds like every single Druid ever. If it isn't a forest, Druids hate it.

In fact, they use. Elune is basically a goddess of arcane. It's simply that druids use a natural kind of arcane instead of manipulating it into something else, like mages.

I've never heard it said Elune is a goddess of Arcane. Shes a holy goddess, and the Night Elves, up until recently anyway, abhor Arcane magic. I've also never heard of a 'natural kind of Arcane.'

Ghostcrawler said Blood Elf Druids don't make sense, and I agree. I hope they are never, ever, ever implemented (And that's not my hatred toward Belves talking - I would consider it the one of the only race/class combos that literally makes 0% sense, up there with Orc and Forsaken Druids).
Edited by Pyronaptor on 11/13/2012 11:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Either Worgen Paladin or Shaman.

A race that's big on wolf themes, but no Shaman? Which is the heaviest thematic class when it comes to wolves?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
11/13/2012 11:27 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
I've never heard it said Elune is a goddess of Arcane. Shes a holy goddess, and the Night Elves, up until recently anyway, abhor Arcane magic. I've also never heard of a 'natural kind of Arcane.'

Well, arcane is part of WoW universe. The cosmos or something. It's all over the place. Anything related to stars or planets end up with that kind of magic.

While the Priestess of the Moon prayers, are arcane in nature. They're used to attack, in fact. We

11/13/2012 11:27 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
Forsaken Druids

There's a satyr in Dire Maul that turns into some corrupted animal forms, undead maybe. The Forsaken could be a corrupted version, obviously, not the "defender of life" type.

The living become living ones. While the undead become undead ones. The same way they are "corrupted", so will be the druidic magic they try to use.

I think it fits. :)

11/13/2012 11:31 PMPosted by Talrendas
Either Worgen Paladin or Shaman.

Wolf helms, wolf shoulders, wolf pets... If you like wolves, that's for you!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Eh, I kinda dislike the idea of Forsaken Druids because I think it should be the Worgen that should have darker Druidic themes but that's just me.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
This is a very common misconception.

No, it's not.

The Magi are clearly responsible for that, not all Blood Elves think that way, this is made clear when the Farstriders directly opposed the creation of the Blood Knights and the treatment of the Naaru.

The Blood Elves ancestors would have been responsible for the enchantment, something that present day Blood Elves wouldn't have had anything to do with. I would also think attempting to reverse this enchantment would have catastrophic effects on the ecosystem that had been in place the last 7000 years or so. Much like trying to reforest the Barrens.

It's also clear in how the two groups interact with the treants in Eversong. The Magi enthralled the tenders, while the Farstriders saw the treants as friends, and burnt the Scorched Grove in order to prevent the rest of the nature in Quel'thalas of being corrupted.

Which the Cenarion Circle is also guilty of. They tried to replace one thriving ecosystem with another. There was nothing wrong with the Barrens, but the Druids attempted to plant a forest, in an attempt to revert an ecosystem to that which existed 10,000 years prior. For the Druids to judge the Blood Elves on that would be highly hypocritical.

Ghostcrawler said Blood Elf Druids don't make sense, and I agree. I hope they are never, ever, ever implemented (And that's not my hatred toward Belves talking - I would consider it the one of the only race/class combos that literally makes 0% sense, up there with Orc and Forsaken Druids).

Well she is associated with Moonwells which are sources of Arcane Energy. I can only imagine it as the opposite of Fel Magic.

Well I do remember him saying something about not wanting to do them right now right before Cataclysm came out.

I also remember an article on Wowinsider that only discredited the notion of existing Blood Elf Druids, Stormrage also contradicted some of the points made in that article and I believe the book came later.

Other than that I hadn't seen any definitive nos.

There's a satyr in Dire Maul that turns into some corrupted animal forms, undead maybe. The Forsaken could be a corrupted version, obviously, not the "defender of life" type.

The living become living ones. While the undead become undead ones. The same way they are "corrupted", so will be the druidic magic they try to use.

I think it fits. :)

Yet Blood Elf Druids don't...

Sylvanas was also unable to use her Nature-based abilities as a Ranger upon recovering her body, hence the need for Dark Rangers, abilities other Rangers were also said to possess, including her sister.

Quite honestly the Satyr would be closer to the Magi of the Blood Elves rather than the Undead.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Blood elf druids is a bad idea. It would make it harder to distinguish the themes of the two different elves, especially now that the highborne is back.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes, but with the Highborne back and teaching Night Elves magic, the Druid/Mage rivalry theme doesn't really exist anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
And no, Blood Elf Druids will neeeeeeever be a thing. High Botanist Freywinn was just that. A Botanist.

Blood El druid

need more druids and they can be fel tainted to boot.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
The Magi are clearly responsible for that, not all Blood Elves think that way, this is made clear when the Farstriders directly opposed the creation of the Blood Knights and the treatment of the Naaru.

The Blood Elves ancestors would have been responsible for the enchantment, something that present day Blood Elves wouldn't have had anything to do with. I would also think attempting to reverse this enchantment would have catastrophic effects on the ecosystem that had been in place the last 7000 years or so. Much like trying to reforest the Barrens.

I highly doubt that any Blood Elves today would be against what they did to Quel'thalas, else the High Elves of yesteryear would have also been opposed to it. The Blood Elves, while they have outdoorsman-y qualities, do not revere nature. They might respect it, but they don't revere it, they don't worship it.

11/14/2012 01:02 AMPosted by Selesnya
It's also clear in how the two groups interact with the treants in Eversong. The Magi enthralled the tenders, while the Farstriders saw the treants as friends, and burnt the Scorched Grove in order to prevent the rest of the nature in Quel'thalas of being corrupted.

Preventing the corruption of the Scourge isn't to protect nature, it's to protect their home. If Scourge corruption is allowed to spread, it allows the Scourge to spread. If the Scourge spreads, Quel'thalas could fall.

Well I do remember him saying something about not wanting to do them right now right before Cataclysm came out.

No, Ghostcrawler outright said they don't make sense.

He said they were one of the most requested ones, which he didn't understand because they don't make sense. The single most requested one, I believe, was Pandaren Druid.

11/14/2012 01:02 AMPosted by Selesnya
Yet Blood Elf Druids don't...

Undead don't make sense either.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/14/2012 03:36 AMPosted by Chorrol
Blood El druid

He's not even a Druid, just because he could turn into a tree for a period of time does not automatically make him one.

11/14/2012 03:36 AMPosted by Chorrol
need more druids and they can be fel tainted to boot.

That goes against everything that Druidism stands for, imo.

11/14/2012 06:57 AMPosted by Pyronaptor
He said they were one of the most requested ones, which he didn't understand because they don't make sense. The single most requested one, I believe, was Pandaren Druid.

Yeh, which would be pretty funny. A bear man turning into a bear for added redundancy.

Personally, I'd like to see Dwarf or Draenei get Druid if there was absolute necessity for more Druid races but I just like things the way they are. People want to see new stuff with classes when they suggest new races be open to them, that's fair, but I think what they should do is just develop Worgen and Troll Druids to accomplish that. I want Worgen to tap into the more feral aspects of becoming a Druid, to the point that it's unsettling even to their allies yet they learn to naturally harness this rage beneficially. Trolls could possibly link Druidism with their voodoo practice or some such.
Edited by Talrendas on 11/14/2012 7:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Honestly, if it wouldn't require a retcon at this point (Which it does), Pandaren Druids would be rather easy to justify, what with them having Animal Demigods, and all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]