How feedback works and why it matters

90 Human Mage
CFT
Feedback matters?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7004452105

A full capped thread, 9 pages in another. Thousands of posts and/in other threads since beta about why the talents are bad. A change is proposed and not even sent to the PTR before dissipating, and the only response we get was "Mages wouldn't evocate with the change" without any PTR testing.

Zarhym, I'm sorry, but lots of the time, Feedback doesn't mean anything.
Edited by Pewpewblast on 11/14/2012 9:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
11/14/2012 08:56 PMPosted by Hinrichs

Probably because anyone who disagrees with you in a complaint about Blizzard is labeled by you and your ilk as fan boys.

How exactly do you expect Blizzard to address your issue where you attempt to belittle and insult instead of discuss?

Probably because? You can do better than that. Don't tell me you haven't seen perfectly legitimate suggestions on here met with hatred.

Sorry but when someone slings around the term fan boy I tend to find they are the one who has issues with communication. They tend to feel the need to insult and belittle anyone who disagrees with them. Disagreement is not hatred, and supporting Blizzard doesn't make someone a fan boy.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
11/14/2012 09:01 PMPosted by Swordblade
Any minute now, there will be a bunch of nut jobs claiming that the author is a fanboy and that Blizzard paid him to write that article.

yup

honestly the hate needs to stop, i agree with blizzard a lot on several things does that mean im a fanboy? according to ppl who dont agree with blizz apparently i am.

To me it just makes an intellectual part of a conversation go down for anyone that uses that as an attack and yes i know there some ppl that agree with blizzard that need to tone it down a llittle too

Probably because? You can do better than that. Don't tell me you haven't seen perfectly legitimate suggestions on here met with hatred.

Sorry but when someone slings around the term fan boy I tend to find they are the one who has issues with communication. They tend to feel the need to insult and belittle anyone who disagrees with them. Disagreement is not hatred, and supporting Blizzard doesn't make someone a fan boy.

well said and you beat me to my point :( :P

Feedback matters?

A full capped thread, 9 pages in another. Thousands of posts and/in other threads since beta about why the talents are bad. A change is proposed and not even sent to the PTR before dissipating, and the only response we get was "Mages wouldn't evocate with the change" without any PTR testing.

depending on the feedback

QQ BLIZZ NERF X CLASS is not proper feedback nor is REMOVE CRZ I GET GANKED is not proper either though it is an issue
Edited by Ragnivald on 11/14/2012 9:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Troll Priest
Feedback matters?

Remember that even if 500 separate accounts post in a thread, that is a very, very, very small sampling of the player base. I am sure there is a lot of testing that goes on behind the scenes that we don't see.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest

lol am I crazy to think that fanboy is not really an insult? Im an apple fanboy :D

Im not a Blizz fanboy till i go to Blizzcon then truely I will be a Blizz fanboy :P
(forgot to mention full costumed and everything and yes if i were to go to blizzcon in a costume it would be a dwarf cuz dwarves are awesome.)

Nothing wrong in supporting a company you like
Edited by Ragnivald on 11/14/2012 9:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I have no idea how Blizzard is organized internally, but what my small corporate experience says is that is too dangerous if people from the development department (like GC) receives too much pressure from information compiled from customer survey. Clients and suppliers have some common interests of course but even more important is to manage their conflicting interests.

It may sound absurd but most of times it is more dangerous (for the supplier long run interest) to satisfy the immediate client interests than to ignore them. Example: if you ask children if they want their christmas present now or on christmas all (unless they aren't normal) will want their gift now. If you give them the gift they will be happy because you listened to their feedback (and because they want their gift as soon as possible). However when Christmas comes and they get no present they will be extremely frustrated. More: they will blame you for their frustration.

So it is supplier's task to envision all that. I hope people at Blizzard receiving feedback from costumers in order to evaluate developers are prepared and mature enough to separate the legitimate complains from the usual childish crying.
Edited by Shamantra on 11/14/2012 9:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
While you're 'round these parts, I want to draw your attention to a well-written, insightful article by Matt Rossi over at WoW Insider. It's a great point of reference when you consider some of the statements we, as Blizzard employees, tend to consistently reiterate.

"[url="http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/11/14/how-feedback-works-and-why-it-matters/#continued"]How feedback works and why it matters[/url]" via WoW Insider

Food for thought!

With love,
[url="https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym"]Zarhym[/url]

However, in a comment, the poster makes it clear he doesn't know the difference between Cross-Realm ZONES and Cross-Realm GROUPING:

Keltari

I wouldnt say that Blizzard's CMs regularly engage in the forums.

And the majority of what they do comment on, is typically "fluff" posts, like "whats your favorite hunter pet?" If the thread was, "what is the best hunter pet?" There would be no blue posts at all in it. If there was a thread "the wolf pets are to strong," then a blue might only make a post if there was a huge hullabaloo over it.

They do comment in other sections, but when it comes to features or gameplay, they rarely make a peep.

I can understand why they dont though. Any blue post is poured over by the masses and there is rampant amounts of speculation into anything they say. Blizzard has to craft any post regarding gameplay extremely carefully, as to not commit to anything they dont mean to.

As for the forum poster Librily, my guess its some 17 year old kid with a temper issue. Personally I couldnt care less about CRZ. Honestly, I wouldnt have even known it was in the game if a friend on another server hadnt invited me quest with him and I was like "howd you do that?" In actuality... if they took out CRZ, Id probably quit playing since I wouldnt be able to quest with my friends on different realms.

Someone else replied with:

That's Cross-Realm GROUPING, not Cross-Realm Zones. Most of those who are against CRZ are FOR CRG - the invitation of BattleTag/RealID friends across servers.Cross-Realm ZONES (CRZ) is the forced mashup of servers in 1-85 content, causing multi-passenger mounts to kick their passengers, caused the removal (and apparent re-structure) of the Fishing Tournament, and also causes community, griefing, ganking (talking raids of 90s vs 1 low level, not a 1 on 1 encounter here), the /ignore and /report systems to malfunction (any report/ignore attempted for a person not of your own server causes "Player not found." errors).Cross-Realm GROUPING is enabled in Pandaria, Cross-Realm ZONES are not.People are AGAINST CRZ, but FOR CRG. There is a difference.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage

lol am I crazy to think that fanboy is not really an insult? Im an apple fanboy :D

No you're not. But it depends on who is using the term. I find if someone claims to be a fanboy then it's not an issue. It's when someone else uses it as in place of discussion that it becomes an issue.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
Feedback matters?

One thing I want to throw out there is that BLizzard does do internal testing on things before they throw them out to the PTRs. THat said, I don't really know enough about the complaint or the proposed solution to say whether or not I think they made the right choice in doing what they did, but it's possible that they did sufficient internal testing to arrive at that conclusion.

On a more broad note regarding feedback, this is how I try to think about it (depending on how cynical I'm feeling): If you make feedback, it may or may not get ignored. If you don't make any feedback, it will get ignored.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Troll Priest
While you're 'round these parts, I want to draw your attention to a well-written, insightful article by Matt Rossi over at WoW Insider. It's a great point of reference when you consider some of the statements we, as Blizzard employees, tend to consistently reiterate.

"[url="http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/11/14/how-feedback-works-and-why-it-matters/#continued"]How feedback works and why it matters[/url]" via WoW Insider

Food for thought!

With love,
[url="https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym"]Zarhym[/url]

your platitudinous tripe is just orwellian speak

This is exactly the type of feedback that is not helpful to anyone.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]