How feedback works and why it matters

90 Pandaren Monk
What I'm seeing in that article is:

- Designers love to point to "Player Feedback" when they implement a change.
- It is easy to dismiss ANY feedback on the basis of "Vocal Minority".
- When you get to pick and choose what constitutes "Good Feedback", are you really listening to the consumer, or are you using a third party to advance your own agenda?

And then I see in this very thread a statement that feedback is not helpful if it is just repeating something that's already been said. How am I supposed to even wrap my head around that? Surely feedback is more useful if it can be quantitatively shown to be a stance that is supported by many people...
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Troll Priest
Editing because I have more to say!

Feedback is important, both positive and negative. The way you construct your post, be it in a constructive way, or with yelling, is going to determine the response you get. I see a lot of really good posts on here that are not flame bait and are well thought out, but too many are basically either parroting what has been said in literally hundreds of other threads, or is down right volatile.

Constructive discourse is the best discourse! :)

oh lord, you've inspired me to such great heights of civility, could you please refer me to the forum rules or some such standard crap? maybe you could link it for me, i've never read it, never will, and i would know where it is

you are brown nosing so hard

Because I would rather the WoW forums be a place where people can have a civil conversation instead of turning into baseless insult slinging? This is a good community that I happen to enjoy and I would like other people to enjoy it as well.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
11/14/2012 09:25 PMPosted by Ackbar
oh lord, you've inspired me to such great heights of civility, could you please refer me to the forum rules or some such standard crap? maybe you could link it for me, i've never read it, never will, and i would know where it is

There's no rule saying that you have to construct your posts in any particular way (provided you follow the obvious rules, like no cursing and so on), but the more intelligent you sound, the more likely people are to listen to you. If your posts look like they were written by a raging idiot, most people will simply label you as one and not really consider what you're actually talking about. You're free to post however you wish, but it's just something I'd recommend to keep in mind if you plan on posting productively. Of course, you're also free to just play the forums without any real purpose or objective like many (including myself) do.
Edited by Karat on 11/14/2012 9:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I don't know about all this, but it seems to be getting a little childish. Some one comes to the forums and complains about customer service. Customer service basicly replies with a different opinion. Thread continues mixed with complaints and complements with a few more customer service comments on how hard they work and listen (not denying it I believe you guys and (girls?) work hard).

Than conveniently an article is written up mentioning the op characters name race and class, which really was no need for. Customer service than creates a thread to point out said article.

For any person to think that the game should change for them personaly is ridiculous. The fact that customer service even responded to the thread is ridiculous. Creating a thread linking an article about how ridiculous the ops' thread is, is ridiculous.

This expansion seems to have a theme that children would like with pandas and pet battles (which do really seem like pokemon). What kind of threads did you expect? All I can say is I hope the majority of this attitude stays on the forums and doesn't leak into the communities in game.
Edited by Fereelorn on 11/14/2012 9:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

you are brown nosing so hard

Because I would rather the WoW forums be a place where people can have a civil conversation instead of turning into baseless insult slinging? This is a good community that I happen to enjoy and I would like other people to enjoy it as well.

call me a cynic, but i think you're full of it

you just like having green text, like that ppl pay attention to what you say, and want things to keep going on that way

so you adopt a blizzard style of communication, which drives me insane with dislike for you

edit: you spend more time encouraging ppl to engage in civil discourse than you do actually proposing anything productive, just like a dev on the forums, is that how you get the green text?
Edited by Ackbar on 11/14/2012 9:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Funny. I seem to recall several pages and threads filled with rogue feedback that got zilch for a response in beta....oh look, those same issues are cropping up again and the only response given is "haste will fix it."
Reply Quote
If the 85-90 leveling experience was a result of player feedback, then I hope they stop listening to feedback.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
11/14/2012 09:34 PMPosted by Därkly
This I agree with. The pandas are attracting a very young demographic. My 9 year old saw the commercial and said "yay kung fu panda game, I want it" -.- lol

It's been said before, but I'll say it again: They were trying to attract the demographic that remembers Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. That's fine if you kid says 'kung-fu panda', but my initial reaction was 'Ooh, Chen Stormstout! He was my favorite neutral hero."
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
ITT: People who ignored every single aspect of the article.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Troll Priest

edit: you spend more time encouraging ppl to engage in civil discourse than you do actually proposing anything productive, just like a dev on the forums, is that how you get the green text?
you just like having green text, like that ppl pay attention to what you say, and what things to keep going on that way

so you adopt a blizzard style of communication, which drives me insane with dislike for you

I am not a regular MvP, I am part of the guild mentoring program. This is not permanent. I posted before the green text and I will post after I don't have it anymore.

Why does that make my post, or my opinions, any less valid than yours? I applied to be part of the mentoring program because I honestly care about this community, and I post also because I care. I hate seeing the nasty things people say about one another. Call me naive, but I think we're better than that.

Usually I kill threads I post in, honestly. :P
Edited by Raziya on 11/14/2012 9:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

you just like having green text, like that ppl pay attention to what you say, and what things to keep going on that way

I am not a regular MvP, I am part of the guild mentoring program. This is not permanent. I posted before the green text and I will post after I don't have it anymore.

Why does that make my post, or my opinions, any less valid than yours? I applied to be part of the mentoring program because I honestly care about this community, and I post also because I care. I hate seeing the nasty things people say about one another. Call me naive, but I think we're better than that.

Usually I kill threads I post in, honestly. :P

you could use your green text for good and criticize the blues

but they'll just take away your privileges
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]