It pays to be #1 -The Spoon monopoly of DWood

90 Human Paladin
If you want to get somewhere in the appropriate amount of time and not after a nerf, then you need to be anywhere but Duskwood. If I wanted to raid I would pick somewhere like Bloody Hallow,Illdan,and maybe even Moon Gaurd.

Why in the name of Farmer Nellys Long-Johns are you still on Duskwood? Find a different realm to raid on. There are a lot of raid guilds to choose from that are much further than Duskwood and make progress faster. We have 1 guild here that dominates the entire raid division and nobody even catches up for months at a time..it's sad. Spoon isn't exactly the magnanimous type either ; just like past guilds that dominated the mainstream of raiding such as <Shai Hulud>,<Lichborne>, they have worn their record somewhat like a crown to create this feeling of being superior to anyone who is not on the same raid grid as they are and all the other guilds are just raid hobbyist. Whether or not you like Spoon, you can't deny they are probably the reason that this is the only realm with such a odd-set raid focal. It got to the point where the guild could set up a *For Sale* sign and sell instance runs because they were the only ones on the faction and realm who had completed that instance.

In fairness Spoon did not abuse their exclusiveness at all nor did they raise the price to outrageous extremes like they could have. Their power to monopoly is expressed and reflected in other realms prices. On Illdan I was sold a FL heroic carry for 10k - I had bought one from Spoon and didn't need one, this was for a friend - I was told repetitively that I was wasting my money paying an outlandish sum for a simple carry, which is probably ensued every week once lockouts were cleared.

This is also reflected in the fact that Spoons guild bank is gold capped and also a lot of members got rich from the fluidity the bank had. At first Spoon split the cash they were making off the mount runs and giving 6.6k to each carrier, but then tried a different way to sell it where people would pay just as much for gear and maybe even a little more for a full run apposed to just a rag kill. Spoon drove the price up to 200k for a mount/title and 10k per piece of gear, this idea turned out to be gauche and defective, so Spoon quickly drove back down the price but still kept their 10k per gear model.

Revenue from runs started to slow as more guilds like <Derpwood> and <Anomaly> started to complete this raid and sell runs as well. Spoon was quick to band-aid themselves from this slight snag by moving on to sell both Regular and Heroic Dragon Soul (DS) runs. Firestyle,the raid leader of these instance runs, took on a new business model of selling these carries. Instead of selling the runs with price options for gear/title/mount, he would just sell them the bundle of getting all, whether or not you chose any of the 3. This made Spoon look nonchalant - they didn't bargain with you, there was a price and either you paid it or you didn't - this new passive-aggressive business ideal came as a large benefit to Spoon when dealing with strenuous customers who had no choice but to settle for the given price. Spoon sold these runs for weeks and then months, selling regular runs on the 2nd team or their alts for 60k just like the H-FL runs - this served very beneficial because they ran these raids with half-full groups anyway, so if they had a customer that week they could bring them at their discretion - H-DS runs were sold for 180k and were nonnegotiable to being changed because of customer lamentations or disagreements. Spoon still sold runs despite Derpwood's conspicuous attempts of trying to undercut Spoons runs by selling their own close to half the price at 120k for the whole bundle, this sometimes seeping any price that was profitable.

To counter this cultivating problem in lack of sales, Derpwood decided to also sell DS runs, but not only to Duskwood, but to other realms as well. Nick, the Guild Master and Co-Founder of Derpwood, did what any Guild Master would do in hopes of gathering the attention of his fellow Duskwoodians and World of Warcrafters, he went to the forums. Surprisingly enough Nick started getting post on the forums and in-game mail from people on different realms asking him if the sell was guaranteed and when he wanted them to transfer their characters for the run. The successful advertisement obviously made Nick and his guildies feel very ebullient and sanguine about completing the deals.

When time came for the runs however, almost nobody showed up as promised. This made Nick sad and even a little apathetic that the runs were overstated. Nick still sells runs to all both close and foreign to Duskwood. Spoon still maintains the top rank and there is no sign of losing it any time soon. Maybe somewhere in the near or distant future there will be a guild skilled enough to challenge Spoons abrasive ability at reaping achievements and loot.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
*facepalm*

1. Want to know the secret of raiding success? Team 1's roster hasn't changed much in over a year. Team 2's Healing and Tanking core have remained the same since Tier 11, despite high DPS turnover we still snagged server 4th H Madness (We're a little behind right now but we'll catch up soon). When you have the same players week in and week out you will be successful.

2. Want to know another reason for their success? They spent a lot of time learning their classes, theorycrafting, running sims, checking class discussions on the forums, and generally do a lot to make themselves better. I'm not even on Team 1 and I spend hours every week looking over my class forums and looking at WoL reports. I put forth the effort to make myself better. Anyone can do this.

3. The bank has never been gold cap, nor has that gold made a huge amount of difference. I think they got a total of 1 or 2 times out of the BMAH. That's hardly an advantage. Plus BMAH gear is RNG based and if the price goes up too high it isn't worth buying to begin with. Several times the price got too high and people simply went "nope don't bother, not worth it".

11/15/2012 12:37 AMPosted by Àrmageddon
This made Spoon look nonchalant - they didn't bargain with you, there was a price and either you paid it or you didn't

4. Mount run prices are simply a matter of Supply/Demand. This is true of EVERY server. On some servers they were charging half a million for a H DS run plus an additional 100k per item gained. The cost charged is based on what the market can bear, and not a penny more. If it isn't selling the price goes down. Economics 101. Before these runs there would be a discussions on how much a charge. We would think of a number that sounds reasonable and toss it out there to see if anyone bites. If nobody bites, the price goes down.

This post overall is full of BS assumptions by somebody who is guessing at why we are successful based on 3rd hand observations. If he really wanted to know all he would have to do is ask. I know MANY people on this server have asked many of our people questions about boss strats, class mechanics, and general general stuff all the time. I can't even count how many people/guild that I've helped. This is on both Horde and Alliance.

I give a lot of respect to people who open their mouths and ask a legitimate question 1 on 1 cause that takes a lot of integrity and guts. Running off into the forums and saying crap cause you are too afraid to ask a simple question is the actions of a coward.
Edited by Tiesha on 12/9/2012 2:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
You listed <Lichborne> as a "dominant" guild? I can't even take you seriously.

That included with the countless times you used words out of context leads me to believe that you're just trying to provoke members of <Spoon> into a war of words.

<Spoon> didn't get to where they are by just waiting for every other somewhat decent guild to leave Duskwood. They got there from the exact things that Tiesha listed in the post above. Even when <Shai Hulud> was still around they would both go back and forth for server firsts.

You can do all of the same things they did, so can anyone else. But you fall under the category of just not wanting to.

It's easy for you to dislike them when you can't even get close to them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Ah Cam, were you not hugged enough as a child? Tell your parents, obviously there's still time.

Would you like to know the real secret to having tons of fun raiding, bging, smacking peeps down in arena?

1. You must be willing to leave trade chat. (This is the biggest hurdle I've found for most, due to the fact that acting like an attention starved child one minute, complete !@#$%^- another, often doesn't lead to people wanting to spend substantial time with you. Case in point, I used to chat with you about our guild and raiding Cam, I'm sure you remember, but I'm sure you also know, you're now on my ignore list.)

2. Be willing to fail, and to learn from those failures. (This is the main reason duskwood does not have a larger contingency of raiding groups. It truly is, the larger population doesn't want that aspect tied to their gaming enjoyment. And imo, that's completely fine, It's a game, do what you enjoy. However, you can't say duskwood doesn't offer enough raiding. The onus is on the players to make that happen.)

If you can find 10/25 players willing to do just those 2 simple things, you'll be raiding, and if you can succeed with the second part, learning from your mistakes, you'll be successful in raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'm confused, I wasn't asking a question. I found out that Spoon had capped their bank and as the above document explains ; it was from the mount runs. I'm not talking about raiding, rather I'm explaining the advantage of being skilled and the perks that come with it. If anything this is an endorsement.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I don't want raiding help haha. I am and always will be a casual raider/gold making-mount buying/guild making/noob troller. That's how I enjoy the game, but props must be given to the elite.

1. I'm not overwhelmed by Spoons progress, because frankly they are lagging far behind in terms of world progress.
2. Spoon is definitely good or at least on Duskwood.

This was simply talking about how getting ahead of the race helps you financially because it allows the expansion of a monopoly. Given my past raid record in Wotlk I would put my skill level above or within the vicinity of theirs - not many sat around with a 6.1k gs while clearing only half of ICC, So in short I know what it's like to be ahead of the game.

I thought you would take it as a compliment and nothing more and that's all you should do. And let's be honest, nobody knew who Spoon was until Shai left.
Edited by Àrmageddon on 11/15/2012 9:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Lol! I would like to know when Anomaly did any type of paid carries. I never received a dime. This guy spends way too much time analyzing pointless happenings on a computer game.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I don't want raiding help haha. I am and always will be a casual raider/gold making-mount buying/guild making/noob troller. That's how I enjoy the game, but props must be given to the elite.

1. I'm not overwhelmed by Spoons progress, because frankly they are lagging far behind in terms of world progress.
2. Spoon is definitely good or at least on Duskwood.

This was simply talking about how getting ahead of the race helps you financially because it allows the expansion of a monopoly. Given my past raid record in Wotlk I would put my skill level above or within the vicinity of theirs - not many sat around with a 6.1k gs while clearing only half of ICC, So in short I know what it's like to be ahead of the game.

I thought you would take it as a compliment and nothing more and that's all you should do. And let's be honest, nobody knew who Spoon was until Shai left.

If you're going for the honest path, why not just admit that this and countless other posts of yours, along with your trade trolling are nothing more, then, often mimic'd in this game, cries for attention.

Your posts never hold merit, value, benefit to anyone other then your "look at me" needs.

However, like you stated and I believe, to each their own. Have fun, hope my bit of adding the spotlight on you helped.

Had to add this, not for myself, but for the friends I raid with. You do not have now nor ever will the skill in playing this game,that any of the players raiding here have. I've been in raids with you, you're just not on their level, sry.

Do I really have to go over your performance during your rag mount/title kill?
Edited by Brugavino on 11/15/2012 9:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Oh by the way, I want to debunk this misconception that I got a name change to hide myself. Yes I'm Cutthroatcam, thanks cpt.obvious. It's annoying how Spoon members say that instead of Armageddon and act as if they made a point. It's not like my real life name is what I name my characters so you might as well address me by the current name.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
11/15/2012 08:58 AMPosted by Àrmageddon
Given my past raid record in Wotlk I would put my skill level above or within the vicinity of theirs - not many sat around with a 6.1k gs while clearing only half of ICC

The fact that you mentioned GS as proof of your "skill" speaks volumes of how bad you really are. I've raided with you on some of my alts, many of which you don't even know cause I had so many during cata. Being out dpsed by the tank is never a good sign.

The gold made during Cata was only made for the sake of convenience. It was largely spent on leveling professions, getting 1 maybe 2 items from the BMAH, and buying mats to make feasts and flasks for raiding.

Having a lot of gold does NOT make you a better player nor does it make you progress faster in any way, shape, or form. None of that gold makes a lick of a difference when you are looking at the boss. Do you think the boss cares about how much money you or your guild has? No. The only thing that matters is you, your raid team, and the skill needed to take him down.
Edited by Tiesha on 11/15/2012 9:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
11/15/2012 09:47 AMPosted by Àrmageddon
Oh by the way, I want to debunk this misconception that I got a name change to hide myself. Yes I'm Cutthroatcam, thanks cpt.obvious. It's annoying how Spoon members say that instead of Armageddon and act as if they made a point. It's not like my real life name is what I name my characters so you might as well address me by the current name.

I don't think anyone is deceived by your toons name, nor do I think anyone in this thread was trying to shine a light on the name change. I think I was the only one who used it, and that's not out of any sort of perceived bad rep that may have or may not have been attached to it. I just used the name I first learned for that toon, kinda like I often refer to Nihl to this day as Atrum every now and then, even though it's been Nihl for years now.

You'd think, since there wasn't any reference to hiding behind a name change, that would be obvious, captain.
Edited by Brugavino on 11/15/2012 10:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Yes! Good Ol'Fashion duskwood forum drama! How I've missed thee, let me count the ways!!

^ so dumb

We have 1 guild here that dominates the entire raid division and nobody even catches up for months at a time..it's sad.

Most people would say Regular mode kills don't matter much, on that level you currently have a tie between 2 guilds, and a 3rd kill 1 kill behind.

With normal, until this week you only had 3 kill difference between 1st and 2nd.

Please enlighten us to the rate at which one starts to "Dominate"

just like past guilds that dominated the mainstream of raiding such as <Shai Hulud>,<Lichborne>

<Shai Hulud>,<Lichborne>

<Lichborne>

who is that?!
I had to go dig....tier 11, 18th place on duskwood?! 2/13 HM...
That's some Domination right there buddy!!

When time came for the runs however, almost nobody showed up as promised. This made Nick sad and even a little apathetic that the runs were overstated.

Are you the new Duskwood Shrink?! Sign me up Doc I wanna tell you about my frustrations with a bad forum troll...
Edited by Chad on 11/15/2012 10:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
stuff like this makes me miss johnny, he didn't try to pass his trolling off as anything other then trolling.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You just got trolled =P. I'm leaving my first comment up though, I think others will find it entertaining regardless of how much you Spoon members pout over it. Just remember though, it's a game so going out of your way to demonize me will do you no good. The best thing you can do is sit back and accept one true fact...this thread is entirely true.
Edited by Àrmageddon on 11/15/2012 3:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
11/15/2012 12:37 AMPosted by Àrmageddon
When time came for the runs however, almost nobody showed up as promised. This made Nick sad and even a little apathetic that the runs were overstated. Nick still sells runs to all both close and foreign to Duskwood.

Actually we made quite a few sells, and all of them were successful. We actually had to turn down some cross realm sells because the spots were filled for weeks to come. Kind of creepy on your part to include me personally in this here. Your entire statement was just one big assumption that you took from afar.

Protip: Get a life, a job (if you don't have one that is), and value your time more.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
This is hilarious. I think our bank had like 950k at one point. Right now, I think I have more gold than our guild bank does and I have people in the guild farming for mats, and will be doing so myself this weekend.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
We sold mounts for 200k?????? WHERE'S MY DAM GOLD

also since apperantly i have gold i needs tiger steaks and jewel damnios, but since that gold isnt that much please be cheap

Plus everyone who answered this post, he's a troll as brug pointed out he wasnt loved enough as a child, he needs attention

/flex at my mighty paladin with cap gold status
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Hey Chad........... Get out of here..... You hang around our forums to much... And Armageddon is an idiot, LOL LICHBOURNE....now that was funny, Chad still owes me and Neebs some gold for carrying him.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
11/15/2012 08:20 PMPosted by Chaoslegion
Plus everyone who answered this post, he's a troll as brug pointed out he wasnt loved enough as a child, he needs attention

I like to think he has some Manlove going on while growing up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
11/15/2012 08:49 PMPosted by Arcthree
You hang around our forums to much... And Armageddon is an idiot
too*. If you are going to insult my intelligence make sure your comment is impeccable. It's already known what I think of you mouth breathers and rubes on Duskwood. I'm just checking up on this thread because contrary to popular belief, this post is fantastic and lots of people including my guildies love it. By the way Nick,Chaos,Fire; all this information is accurate, although it did not last the entire time like your attempt at 200k for the FL mount which I remember you posted on the forums advertising. For example Nick, you stated that you had to turn down spots because there were no more left, well that's false, you had to turn them down because they didn't want to transfer for what you asked for.

And yes I mention <Lichborne> lol. A lot of great people in there and is just as respectable a guild as any of yours. And you guys are right about the "they didn't dominate" part, but what I was saying is they for a very long time held furthest progression of 6/8 heroic DS and therefore held bragging rights. I was in there during their small rain of glory moment. Why does this come as a surprise? You guys don't remember the constant trolling of "who's server first" and the reply would always be "Lichborne, duh". And I remember this clearly because once Spoon had broken free from the manacle of the 6/8 progression that most guilds were stuck on, they killed spine and surpassed Lichborne. Shortly after this happened Lichborne server transferred to Sargeras. I think that because Lichborne transferred, there became this much bigger gap in terms of progression and this made people lionize Spoon and its members because it made them look like the underdog who prevailed rather than the group of people who simply got lucky and reaped the benefits of bragging rights because there was no one else to fight over them with.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]