Water Jet

100 Night Elf Druid
Why was this spell removed from the PTR? It was a nice, elegant solution to the weirdness of having to place a freeze reticle on single target bosses for the FoF proc. It provided a minor buff to frost single target dps, but since frost is well behind fire on pretty much every fight this doesn't seem to present an issue. Also, since freeze is preferable in PvP, it doesn't seem to affect PvP balance either.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Mage
I don't think we've seen the last of it. Delayed is more likely than scrapped, I'd say.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
11/14/2012 01:14 PMPosted by Lhivera
I don't think we've seen the last of it. Delayed is more likely than scrapped, I'd say.

With this last build being a release build, it feels like they're short on time to make any changes to the level 90 talents either. It'll have to wait for 5.2 I suppose, 4-6 months down the line. Something tells me 5.2 won't come before May since Heart of the Swarm comes in March. Which would make sense since this is a huge 16 boss tier, and progression for most guilds is difficult just based on the lack of time alone. Still going to have a monthly % nerf for this tier too.

I really hope we get another balancing patch before T15 though. I felt like too much got lumped in with this 5.1 patch, and we could have received some of this stuff earlier (ie: the Cinder Kitten Charity Drive and the double reputation change). I'd like to see patches every couple of months if possible. So here's hoping 5.2 isn't T15, which would mean we could get some more tweaks before then. 5.1 ended up being a PVP balancing patch for Mages, but we did get some Arcane love at the end there. I am really happy that Pyro change didn't go live.

As for Water Jet itself, I provided my thoughts on awhile back. It really didn't have much use outside of niche situations. Sure, it was nice to get rid of the targetting reticule, but the pet nova would end up doing more DPS with shatter combos and providing more control in just about every situation except stand-still boss fights, and even then you're dealing with a potential no gain or even DPS loss depending on rotational collision and procs wasted. It would have been poor QoL all things considered.
Edited by Digerati on 11/14/2012 3:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
The timing seems to suggest it just had to be delayed, yeah. I hope that's the case anyway and not that they just scrapped it for some reason we're not privy to. Maybe GC will comment on it on his twitter if we're lucky.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Mage
I don't really see single-target DPS as a "niche situation." In any single-target situation, Water Jet was superior to Freeze if executed correctly (which, with a little practice, wasn't too hard).

With two targets, Freeze was superior because there was no issue of the procs coming from Frostbolts that may have generated natural charges. But against a single-target, timing the jet cast (which, even if you wasted an entire Waterbolt windup, was still a gain in pet damage) felt much, much more natural to me than using Freeze.

The only improvement I might have suggested would have been, instead of generating FOF charges, simply count the target as frozen while Water Jet ticks. This would have granted more of a sense of immediacy to the combo, perhaps.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
I was referring to Shatter combos providing a bigger DPS gain, which is just about everywhere except boss mobs. That's what I meant by niche. PVE is still a big deal obviously. But even then, many boss fights have adds you can get 2 charges of FoF or even Shatter with. You can get 2 charges off of every fight in MV. Will of the Emperor is the fight where Frost gets to shine and a well-timed pet nova with a Frost Bomb explosion is superior.

Still, new spells are cool, and if it finds niche use or fits some playstyles, I'm not one to question the best use of development time. Rather have choice than no choice.

"The only improvement I might have suggested would have been, instead of generating FOF charges, simply count the target as frozen while Water Jet ticks. This would have granted more of a sense of immediacy to the combo, perhaps."

That would have been better. Perhaps a root of sorts still too for control.
Edited by Digerati on 11/14/2012 8:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
Community Manager
11/14/2012 01:14 PMPosted by Lhivera

I think that's a fair assessment. We weren't happy with how this spell was working out on the PTR, and pulled it for now. We're looking into giving it some more polish, and possibly implementing it when the time is right.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
Thanks for the clarification. Well, here's looking forward to the newer, better version.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
could u also perhaps comment on the spellsteal nerf? I understand that spellsteal needed to be reigned in but 21% is incredibly punishing. The only reason we even spam ss is because we can't get the spell we want. For instance Hand of Freedom is piled under several buffs and hots. I have to ss 6-8 times before I get the freedom sometimes. With the nerf I'll be oom the 5th time.

you guys mentioned strategic ss but given the way ss works it isn't possible to use it strategically unless that crucial buff you need to remove is the only one there. And when does that ever happen?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
11/14/2012 05:24 PMPosted by Daxxarri

I think that's a fair assessment. We weren't happy with how this spell was working out on the PTR, and pulled it for now. We're looking into giving it some more polish, and possibly implementing it when the time is right.

Daxxarri, is there any possibility for you to say what Blizzard is going to do with level 90 talents?

Are you guys leaving them just how they are or are you actually going to tweak them sometime in the future?

This is the only information we need to decide if we're going to reroll or simply wait for the tweak.
Reply Quote
60 Undead Rogue
11/14/2012 06:46 PMPosted by Phöbös

Daxxarri, is there any possibility for you to say what Blizzard is going to do with level 90 talents?

Are you guys leaving them just how they are or are you actually going to tweak them sometime in the future?

This is the only information we need to decide if we're going to reroll or simply wait for the tweak.

I'd like to know this as well
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
11/14/2012 07:08 PMPosted by Metuo
I'd like to know this as well

Me too. Only 1 of the hunter 90 talents is worth using. It's really demotivating me from getting that last level.
Reply Quote
80 Human Warrior
THIS IS NOT COOL GIVE US THE SPELL!!!!! PLEASEE!
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage

Thanks for the headsup. Look forward to seeing the next incarnation.
Reply Quote
92 Undead Mage

Hmm, so the devs can see the mage forum. I guess those level 90 talent threads are just invisible or something lol...
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
It also gave frost mages who wanted to use frost bomb a dot for the raid trinket that only procs off dots
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

Quality over quantity sounds fine. !@#$s got bugs? rather wait... unless they are ninja-buff-bugs in which case we want it now thanks :P
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 10:10 PMPosted by Metuo
6 months later...lvl 90 talents still not fixed lol

Change Invocation? Nah, you'd never use evocation for mana regen, right?
Blizzard hires -the-best- Trolls.
Reply Quote
91 Blood Elf Mage
For the record, Lhiv's idea of the target acting frozen while water jet ticks sounds incredible, it'd be engaging as well since you could time it with pom and other buffs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]