I'm still a hard-boiled detective.

90 Pandaren Priest
Break into prison and interrogate Swobu

that's more exciting
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
11/16/2012 11:14 AMPosted by Fides
Any way to avoid goblins is a good idea.

</3
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock

Any way to avoid goblins is a good idea.

You cut me deep.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Eight for Swobu, six for Goblins.

The Swobus have it.

Here's what you may not know about Orcs.

There's a reason most of their buildings don't have doors.

When you look at their buildings, you probably see what they want you to see: a bunch of spikes, tusks, anything else that's pointy that they think might look menacing. It's all show intended to keep people out.

When it comes to keeping people in, Orcs aren't too concerned.

And here's what you may not know about Hellscream.

He doesn't have a very impressive prison.

Not that you couldn't have guessed; execution seems to be the sentence for anything from treason to littering in Orgrimmar these days. As such, there's probably not a lot of prisoners to fill the cells of the converted barracks that serve as such. He's keeping Swobu alive for a reason, then.

Possibly to keep the rioters in check. I did some snooping around. The peons have been staging protests day and night, charging the guard lines when they think Thokk is with them. Thokk himself, apparently, has been executed.

Three times.

Some say the new ones that keep popping up are pretenders. The peons say that Thokk simply can't be killed, hence why it never seems to faze them when they watch "his" head roll off under an axe blow. Swobu has no such protection. If he dies, the peons attack and the war machine grinds to a halt for who knows how long.

Or maybe Hellscream wants to know what I want to know.

And maybe that's why there are so many guards here, patrolling the walled structure.

Grunts, mostly. A few Kor'kron amongst them. All carrying bright torches, all carrying sharp axes, all alert, bright-eyed and looking like they'd go charging at a shadow.

Lovely.

With a sigh, I pull my mask up a little more around my eyes. Disguised or not, they'd kill me if they saw me. Like an ogre beach party: the less skin shown, the better.

A grunt that has been staring at my hiding spot for five minutes turns away to resume his patrol.

And I'm off.

Getting to the wall is no problem. There's not enough feet on the ground to spot me as I dart between crates and war wagons. Scaling the wall to the battlements isn't much harder; thank your local engineer's love of spikes, orcs.

It's only when I come up and look down into the courtyard and see the dozen Kor'kron patrollers standing between me and the stairs leading down to the cell blocks that things get complicated.

They're staring elsewhere. They're tense. Nervous. I don't blame them. I hear Hellscream demands the utmost obedience and the utmost competence. Unfortunately for Hellscream, those two qualities tend to run counter to each other.

Not unfortunate for me, though.

I find a flint and tinder and a few scraps of rags someone left behind when they lit their lantern. And right over it, wedged in a nice little corner of the prison yard, I see their lamp oil.

I know what you're thinking.

"An explosion? You'll be caught, stupid!"

And you're right.

But lamp oil doesn't explode. Not with the tiny flame I just dropped from it. What lamp oil does then is two things. For one, it burns. Brightly and quickly. And for two...

"WHO THE HELL LEFT THEIR LANTERN NEAR THE OIL?"

The Kor'kron rush over to extinguish the blaze. I seize the opportunity, dropping down into the courtyard and clinging to the shadows as I make my way to the cell block below. I can hear them muttering as they go to fight the blaze.

"Do we tell the overseer?"

"And have him tell Hellscream we lost four hundred's worth of oil because some idiot didn't hold onto his lantern? Just put it out and get some more tomorrow."

Nervous guards make for poor guards.

Or great guards, if you happen to be a thug like us.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
You wouldn't think he was much to look at him, hunched over in a tiny cell, muttering to himself.

"Yes, yes. Swobu happy to be here, too. You hungry? Swobu hungry. You no worry. Swobu think spirits gonna send something soon. Maybe pork. Hm? Swobu share with you. No worry."

Here he is. The Great Peon Thinker.

I walk up to the cell, clear my throat. He doesn't look up. I call out his name, he doesn't move.

I sigh. This is going to take some doing, I see.

I look around for a key. Nothing anywhere. I reach for my lockpicks.

And that's when I see the thick, green arm reaching out of the cell window.

I leap back. But Swobu isn't making a move for me. His hand is held out in a beckoning gesture.

"You got food? Guards say 'no food for Swobu until Swobu confess!' Swobu confused. Maybe guards get confused, too, and forget to give Swobu dinner?"

I see a nearby plate of bread, cheese and pork. Part of me wants to offer it to him once he cooperates. But that part of me knows that peons work differently.

I hand him the plate. He takes it in, breaks off a tiny piece of bread and puts it in his mouth. The rest, he scatters on the dirt floor of his cell. And his companions come scurrying out on four legs to feed.

Rats.

He was talking to rats.

"Swobu very glad nice elfy came to feed Swobu. Swobu think guards maybe have a lot to do."

"You know I'm an elf?" I ask.

"Elfy smells of woods and trees. And poison. Nice elfy, though. Swobu have many elfy friends. Many rat friends, too. Swobu is likable guy."

Apparently.

"Swobu," I say. "The cart you were pushing a week ago..."

"The one go boom boom? Everyone so curious about cart. Swobu think must have been defective. Carts no go boom boom."

"Right. Yes. Who gave it to you? I need to have a word with them about it."

"Swobu not know. Tall, skinny thing. Wearing hood. Swobu thought maybe ask, but then Swobu think maybe he wearing hood so he look mysterious. Swobu have great appreciation for theatrical tension, so Swobu not ask."

"And he gave you the cart?"

"Nuh. He give cart to Stinko, fellow peon. Stinko have very hard day, though, very worried about increasing economic taxation reform as pertain to shipping regulations. So Swobu offer to push cart."

"And the hooded man? Did he leave?"

"Swobu think still in city. Why leave? He want his cart back."

Swobu might be smarter than he looks.

Which is a lot like saying fish might be slightly less ugly than they look.

"Swobu not dumb."

I look back to the cell and I see a pair of doe eyes that should be on a gnome. Or something else.

"Swobu know someone want hurt people. But Swobu never want hurt anybody. Swobu just have hard time thinking why anyone want hurt someone. Elfy know?"

"Elfy not know," I reply. My ears prick up. I can hear Kor'kron silence overhead. They've extinguished the fire. "Thanks a lot, Swobu. I'll see you around."

I take off, slipping into the shadows and to the wall before they can find me.

Stinko. I've got a name now. The peons, I've heard, congregate at the Wyvern's Tail. Maybe I could find him, or something like him, there.

I've also got a tall, skinny looking guy wearing a hood. Who could he be? Night elf radical? Alliance saboteur? Undead? Swobu said he looked mysterious. Where do people go when they want to look mysterious?

The Cleft of Shadow, obviously.

How is it that I can talk to someone who doesn't understand pronouns and come out with more information than I had before?

What should Enekie do?

1. Go to the Wyvern's Tail and see if she can't find Stinko.

2. Pursue the Hooded Man into the Cleft of Shadow.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 08:02 PMPosted by Enekie

I think you should go after Stinko so he can provide a little more detail before you go off looking for a hooded man in the Cleft of Shadow.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
1. Stinko might know something that would make finding the hooded man easier.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
On the one hand, besides the few exceptions peons aren't all that bright, so we might not get any useful information.

Vinterson may end up being in the Cleft of Shadows, and there's a good chance of finding someone intelligent there.

On the other hand...everyone knows inns and taverns are virtual goldmines of gossip, rumors, and general knowledge!

11/16/2012 08:16 PMPosted by Kaltokk

I think you should go after Stinko so he can provide a little more detail before you go off looking for a hooded man in the Cleft of Shadow.

Also the hooded man may be looking for Stinko to find what happened to his plague.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue

Reply Quote
90 Troll Monk
2. No questions asked. You're a HARD-BOILED detective, not a softy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Go to the tavern of course, there's a lot of tall mysterious people in Orgrimmar.

Besides, she can go afterwards with all the information she has. ^^
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
11/16/2012 11:03 PMPosted by Selynth

Considering the amount of information that used to get blurted out at the tail? yeah. Go there. People talk like woah.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

I kinda want you to go in to the Cleft of Shadow, but going in to the bar would probably achieve more.
Reply Quote
11/16/2012 08:16 PMPosted by Kaltokk

Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Any other day I would say go with two, but Swobu's wisdom would be silly to ignore - he isn't going anywhere.

Information before running in headfirst. You ~are~ a rogue-detective, not an orc.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
2. No questions asked. You're a HARD-BOILED detective, not a softy.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
"Swobu not know. Tall, skinny thing. Wearing hood. Swobu thought maybe ask, but then Swobu think maybe he wearing hood so he look mysterious. Swobu have great appreciation for theatrical tension, so Swobu not ask."

This bit of dialogue. Right here.

/hugs

I say this one first, because Wyvern's tail is easy to blend in, the hooded guy probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and it's more likely the peon will be at the Wyvern's Tail then the Hooded Guy at the Cleft of Shadow.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Well, I'll be.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]