Movement Speed Disparity

90 Blood Elf Paladin
There seems to be a great deal of inconsistency with movement speed increasing effects, as to which stack with other effects and which don't.

For example, Druids' talented movement speed increase stacks with the boot enchant and other effects, as will Monks' in 5.1, but Paladins' exact equivalent, Pursuit of Justice, does not. What sense is there in allowing some to benefit from certain enchants and effects but not others?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
agreed, the inconsistency doesn't make much sense.

fleet footed doesn't stack with boot enchants, and there aren't any worthwhile alternative enchant choices besides the movement increasing kind.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
From my understanding its because Feline Swiftness would be worthless for feral druids if it didn't stack since they already have 25%. Regardless of some talents being better for some specs than others, they don't want one being literally worthless.

Could be anyones guess why it stacks with boots enchants though. Mine is that feral druids are intended to be the masters of movement; 130% was remarkable when they were the only ones with it. Its less so when pallies can move at 145% 3/5th of the time.

For Monks and DKs, it would be kind of pointless to have if they didn't stack. Why would you talent for 10% when you could enchant for 8%?
Edited by Leciel on 11/15/2012 5:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
7 Orc Shaman
From my understanding its because Feline Swiftness would be worthless for feral druids if it didn't stack since they already have 25%. Regardless of some talents being better for some specs than others, they don't want one being literally worthless.

Could be anyones guess why it stacks with boots enchants though. Mine is that feral druids are intended to be the masters of movement; 130% was remarkable when they were the only ones with it. Its less so when pallies can move at 145% 3/5th of the time.

For Monks and DKs, it would be kind of pointless to have if they didn't stack. Why would you talent for 10% when you could enchant for 8%?

Doesn't stack with DKs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
11/15/2012 06:47 PMPosted by Darkgrif
Paladins end up with a 145 boost from theirs

I'm talking more about PoJ and its flat movement speed than LAotL, but I don't agree that LAotL shouldn't stack, either.
Edited by Elidra on 11/15/2012 6:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
PoJ would be 140.4% if it stacked with boots enchant. In what circumstance would LAoTL be better than it were that the case?
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
Doesn't stack with DKs.

Yes it does. Death's Advance + boot enchant = 119% run speed. For unholy, they get 129% run speed after all bonuses.

No it does not. I was pretty sure and I double checked.

Death's Advance puts you at 110%

UH pres puts you at 126.5%

Boot enchant does nothing. Even if it did stack it would not be 129% but rather 136. Movement speed is multiplicative not additive.

Boot and DA stack, but not UH pres and boot enchant.

For druids all 3 stack for a grand total of 155% movement speed(cat form, talent, boots).

I'm not sure if the pvp gear bonus stacks, but the reason that druids are allowed is because of stealth. Druid stealth brings that 155% to 109%.

Also when calculating movement speed the game goes highest to lowest for future reference. The numbers are still close when you do it out of order, but not the same. So it would go cat form, plus 15% of that, plus 8% of that.
Edited by Purebalance on 11/16/2012 9:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Someone doesn't understand multiplication.

100*1.15*1.08 = 100*1.08*1.15
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
11/15/2012 06:47 PMPosted by Darkgrif
And it's funny because feral has more mobility than a WW monk which was suppose to be a mobile melee.

Feral is THE mobile melee spec.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
Someone doesn't understand multiplication.

100*1.15*1.08 = 100*1.08*1.15

I was attempting to figure out how that guy was getting 129% and tried doing it as just adding the numbers but must have just made an error along the way. I was assuming the 129% he got was some strange missmatch of adding and multiplying out of order because if you just added each percent to your run speed you can't get 129 and if you multiply you can't get 129.

Also yes in my attempt to decipher that I completely forgot what I wrote was irrelevent with OoO involved or whatever the rule of being able to invert like operations and still get the same result is.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Warlock
For druids all 3 stack for a grand total of 155% movement speed(cat form, talent, boots).

I'm not sure if the pvp gear bonus stacks, but the reason that druids are allowed is because of stealth. Druid stealth brings that 155% to 109%.

Yes the pvp bonus stacks as well. It all comes back to the fact that blizzard didn't want Feline Swiftness to be useless for feral. The thing that you have to remember with this is that if a Feral takes Feline Swiftness, they are giving up their charge. So their gap closer here is very much their high speed.

Also, druids can glyph Prowl to remove the movement impairment and allow them to move back at the full speed.

Pretty sure last I checked plenty of ferals in pvp are taking it though. It was about 50/50 with only really resto druids taking the very rare displacer beast(some rogues were crying it was OP lol).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Commutative property.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
11/15/2012 09:05 PMPosted by Leciel
PoJ would be 140.4% if it stacked with boots enchant. In what circumstance would LAoTL be better than it were that the case?

It isn't at full stacks the whole time, not even close.

If they stacked, PoJ would range from 124% to 140%, while LAotL would be 108% with the buff down and 157% with the buff up. Those seem pretty comparable.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Not full stacks all the time. I would say that 0 HoPo is more uncommon than at least 1-2 though, only really happening after 3 HoPo finishers (First inquisition, TV when absolutely nothing else is up), and not for long at all.

I guess it would happen more with sanctified wrath than DP, although even when I played around with HA all it would take is one art of war proc to go from empty GCDs to locked for a while.
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Shaman
Yes, the word you're looking for is consistency, not disparity. They need to think of a different term to indicate stacking runspeed bonuses. Hey, I just did it, "stacking".
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid

Yes the pvp bonus stacks as well. It all comes back to the fact that blizzard didn't want Feline Swiftness to be useless for feral. The thing that you have to remember with this is that if a Feral takes Feline Swiftness, they are giving up their charge. So their gap closer here is very much their high speed.

Also, druids can glyph Prowl to remove the movement impairment and allow them to move back at the full speed.

Pretty sure last I checked plenty of ferals in pvp are taking it though. It was about 50/50 with only really resto druids taking the very rare displacer beast(some rogues were crying it was OP lol).

That's the whole point. They take FS now because it stacks. For a good chunk of the beta it didn't, and players repeatedly pointed out how worthless the talent was in that setup. A net +7% run speed wasn't worth losing feral charge.
Reply Quote

That's because Rogues would LOVE a 30s Vanish (instead of a 3m Vanish). Even if they lost the Vanish buff, it'd be fine if they also gained Resto's 8s CD (self) dispel (read, 8s Cloak, 30s Vanish).

OP on a Resto Druid, not necessarily ... but EXTREMELY desirable for a Rogue. It's crap when other classes are better at your class' central mechanic.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]