Best Tanking Class?

90 Worgen Death Knight
I usually tank on this character, but sometimes i feel like going on my monk and healing. (Sometimes even my druid) So i have been wondering, whats the best tanking class?
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Mage
I still hear the MBT is the best. Some go with the air-portable light tank, but nothing says "gimme yer stuff" like 65 tons of reactive composite armor and a 120mm cannon pointing down your nose.
Edited by Zapwidget on 11/15/2012 12:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
That's weird, my friend says that pally tanking is the best. Yet, other people say warriors, monks, and sometimes even DKs.

What i'm trying to say is, it varies. (For me, at least.)
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Mage
OK, let's make this clear, since apparently I wasn't as comedic as I'd hoped. There is no universally "best" class. There might be a "best for the encounter" class, and there might be a "best for that raid comp" class, but there will never be a "best for everything" class. Not for very long, anyway. When one class or the other becomes blatantly better at handling everything than the other classes, one of three things will happen. The mechanic in the encounters that makes that specific tank better will be nerfed, the class that is superior will be nerfed, or the classes that are inferior will be buffed.

For me, paladin was the best tank class for the last several years. Under the current system, warriors are the best tank class for me. I can tank on a warrior much better than I can tank on the other 4. For you, or for any other person, the answer of what is universally best will be different.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I know there wont be a class best for everything, i just ment that it can vary in so many ways, With all roles as well. Best tanking class for me was always Dks, sometimes i wanna tank on my druid but i decided to wait until duel specs. (Druid is level 20) Then change to resto for primary and guardian for the second one. Problem is, it depends on a LOT of stuff about each class to be the best for the encounter.

I know that many things have happened over the years, nerfs for example.
Edited by Afierian on 11/15/2012 2:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Mage
So what exactly are you trying to ask here?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
What class is best for most occasion while tanking.
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Mage
There is no universally "best" class. There might be a "best for the encounter" class, and there might be a "best for that raid comp" class, but there will never be a "best for everything" class. Not for very long, anyway. When one class or the other becomes blatantly better at handling everything than the other classes, one of three things will happen. The mechanic in the encounters that makes that specific tank better will be nerfed, the class that is superior will be nerfed, or the classes that are inferior will be buffed.

For me, paladin was the best tank class for the last several years. Under the current system, warriors are the best tank class for me. I can tank on a warrior much better than I can tank on the other 4. For you, or for any other person, the answer of what is universally best will be different.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
i mean MOST occasions not all occasions but you did indeed answer my question so thanks for that
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
The one you can play best.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If the content you want to run involves walking a straight line, touching your nose, saying the alphabet backwards, or any combination of the above, stay away from monks.

We're not good at those things.

That's why goblins can't be monks--they have to drive a car as their mount, and... well... since the court case...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
11/15/2012 02:27 PMPosted by Afierian
i mean MOST occasions not all occasions but you did indeed answer my question so thanks for that

Most occasions it's the one you like/can play the best.
You may have some trouble with your druid levelling though because of the order they learn their spells but it all evens out in the end.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
I don't think we're gonna get through to this one guys.

11/15/2012 03:03 PMPosted by Kickgruntler
That's why goblins can't be monks--they have to drive a car as their mount, and... well... since the court case...

This is the best case I've ever seen for goblins not being monks, ever.
Edited by Rijdot on 11/15/2012 4:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Need moar of these threads. Nom nom nom
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
here's my opinion on tanking classes based on my pug experiences

Druid tanks:
If you want to be indestructible then roll this class

Death knight tanks:
If you want to have the most threat generation for both single target and multiple enemies but don't care how many times you die, roll this class.

Warrior tanks:
If you want a balance between death knights and druids, roll this class

Palladin tanks:
If you want to annoy the hell out of people, roll this class.

Monk:
Don't really know much about this class other than the fact they they don't go well with monk healers.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
here's my opinion on tanking classes based on my pug experiences

Druid tanks:
If you want to be indestructible then roll this class

Death knight tanks:
If you want to have the most threat generation for both single target and multiple enemies but don't care how many times you die, roll this class.

Warrior tanks:
If you want a balance between death knights and druids, roll this class

Palladin tanks:
If you want to annoy the hell out of people, roll this class.

Monk:
Don't really know much about this class other than the fact they they don't go well with monk healers.

Wow.

You are so amazingly off base.

Don't give advice on things you know nothing about.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Rij if i'm so wrong then why don't you tell me what a druid tank has for aoe threat that compares to what a death knight tank has?
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
11/17/2012 01:10 PMPosted by Bridimius
Rij if i'm so wrong then why don't you tell me what a druid tank has for aoe threat that compares to what a death knight tank has?

A druid is capable of holding AoE aggro, it doesn't matter which one is capable of putting out more AoE DPS.

Why don't you tell me why monk tanks don't go well with monk healers, why warriors are a "balance between death knights and druids" (what) and how DKs have the highest threat/DPS output (hint: they don't, especially in high vengeance scenarios)?

11/17/2012 01:03 PMPosted by Rijdot
Don't give advice on things you know nothing about.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
"A druid is capable of holding AoE aggro, it doesn't matter which one is capable of putting out more AoE DPS."

That's an opinion. I was hoping for hard facts.

You got me on the monk tank and monk healer thing. My only basis for that opinion is how well druid healers and druid tanks go together.

Warriors are a balance between death knights and druids because they take less damage than a death knight (hence the ability to block with a shield) They generate more threat than druids imo because of the 6 second cooldown on thunderclap along with the frontal cone shockwave. What does a druid have that can match that?

I believe death knights have the highest threat output because of death and decay, multiple diseases that are spread quickly, and let's not forget the unead army. Anything within the blood boil range is drawn to the death knight with the damage being constant.
Edited by Bridimius on 11/17/2012 1:27 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]