Best Tanking Class?

39 Worgen Warlock
"A druid is capable of holding AoE aggro, it doesn't matter which one is capable of putting out more AoE DPS."

That's an opinion. I was hoping for hard facts.

Everything you posted was an opinion. And no, a druid is capable of holding AoE aggro. That is a fact. It doesn't matter which one is capable of putting out more AoE DPS. The druid either has threat or he doesn't and the DPS don't care which one is doing more DPS. That is also a fact.

11/17/2012 01:23 PMPosted by Bridimius
Warriors are a balance between death knights and druids because they take less damage than a death knight (hence the ability to block with a shield)

Paladins, warriors, druids and monks all take less damage than death knights (assuming proper play). Death knights, however, heal it back and have a higher health pool to compensate.

They generate more threat than druids imo because of the 6 second cooldown on thunderclap along with the frontal cone shockwave. What does a druid have that can match that?

They do not generate more threat than druids. In fact, druids are ranking higher and doing more damage on log parses than warriors.

My only basis for that opinion is how well druid healers and druid tanks go together.

This is also wrong.

I believe death knights have the highest threat output because of death and decay, multiple diseases that are spread quickly, and let's not forget the unead army. Anything within the blood boil range is drawn to the death knight with the damage being constant.

Death knights have high AoE DPS, but the fact is it's not high enough to be a significant difference. Also, monks trump them. (Any DK that's armying on non-challenge mode trash outside of a clutch situation needs to be shot, btw.)

Which tank is exceling also depends on the type of content you're doing.

You can't give advice based on opinions. The main differences between tanks at the moment is playstyle.
Edited by Rijdot on 11/17/2012 1:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Well rijdot you've stated what you believe and i've stated what i believe. I think it's time someone else gave their thoughts on this.
Edited by Bridimius on 11/17/2012 1:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
95 Pandaren Warrior
11/17/2012 01:47 PMPosted by Bridimius
Well rijdot you're stated what you believe and i've stated what i believe. I think it's time someone else gave their thoughts on this.

Except you're just posting arbitrary guesses that make zero sense. And most of the time are factually wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
Well rijdot you've stated what you believe and i've stated what i believe. I think it's time someone else gave their thoughts on this.

Druids can hold AoE threat just fine.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/17/2012 01:30 PMPosted by Rijdot
monks trump them

I got the Keg if you got the Smash.

Sorry, mate. Monks are kinda the AoE kings in this game--there's a couple high end guilds that are three tanking certain things just so they can have a monk smashing barrels on faces for tons of damage.
Edited by Kickgruntler on 11/17/2012 2:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well, since your druid and monk healers can also tank, why not gear them up and give it a whirl on both? That way, you can see which you prefer.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I am absolutely amazed at how much healing I save my raid as a Druid. Not just due to my own mitigation, but due to the fact that when you dodge certain attacks which would normally split raid wide they don't damage anyone at all. My longest streak so far is 17 seconds. 17 seconds without taking ANY damage. I'm loving it.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
I honestly feel if you can play a Blood DK to a certain skill cap it can really be a very power tank DPS and Tanking wise, for you can control your own fate better then most tanks.

Then again, the skill argument can be used for just about any tanking class, it all depends if you're willing to learn.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
wtf am I reading...
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage

What we believe? This isn't an opinion based thread, this is for facts. Gtfo with your opinions.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
"A druid is capable of holding AoE aggro, it doesn't matter which one is capable of putting out more AoE DPS."

Warriors are a balance between death knights and druids because they take less damage than a death knight (hence the ability to block with a shield) They generate more threat than druids imo because of the 6 second cooldown on thunderclap along with the frontal cone shockwave. What does a druid have that can match that?

Let's see, I have a 30 second spammable Mangle, I have Thrash on a 6 second cd, which is the same thing as Thunder Clap. I have a spammable Swipe. All of which hit EVERYTHING around me. I have 10 seconds where Mangle hits 3 targets at once, oh and I have Faerie Fire which generates enough threat in most cases to pull a mob back off someone without the need to taunt.

I also have twice the armor the Warrior has, which acts as my "block" and far more dodge than his combined dodge and parry. I also have Rejivenation on a cooldown that heals for 40-60k per tick, a free Healing Touch that I can cast once a minute for 100k, the ability to battle res, the ability to ACTUALLY dps, the ability to become another healer for 45 seconds when I'm not tanking, and, well...I think thats enough.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Warlock tanks: If you're up to a challenge, like going against the grain a bit, and like saving the day once your tank/healer die. Because the way I see it, DA warlock/Voidlord combo is probably the most durable combo ever. We don't need no stinking healer as long as voidlord has aggro. He takes roughly zero damage from heroic dungeon bosses, no joke.

I honestly feel like all real tanks are very good. My bear & my dk are both immortal, healers always comment that they didn't even have to heal me, they only heal the dps's. My warrior tank is lower lvl (50's), and I don't have a pally but I'd imagine they are both immortal at 90 as well.

All tanks could get nerfed a bit imo, and I wouldn't even be mad.

(Don't bother say warlocks can't tank raids, because I know that. I know warlocks aren't the best, that's obvious, but they are by are the best off-tank I've ever played, and that feeling you get when you save the group from wiping...that's priceless.)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I heard once that it's not the class but the player....
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I believe death knights have the highest threat output because of death and decay, multiple diseases that are spread quickly, and let's not forget the unead army. Anything within the blood boil range is drawn to the death knight with the damage being constant.

Good god stop talking, yes we can put out decent aoe dps if needed, but only if we go hog wild on it, which means using death runes on BB, stopping alot of deathstrikes, the option to do good aoe doesn't mean we always do it, and aside from wind lord who really gives a damn about aoe dps this tier? army is good for single target burst yes if you know a hero is coming, but they don't add to the dk threat, and often will be used as a defensive cooldown for the channel insted.

All tanks are fairly balanced right now, druid is by no means bad, no tank really is, if you're gonna post your opinions as fact atleast post on your druid.
Reply Quote
93 Undead Warlock
Warlock tanks: If you're up to a challenge, like going against the grain a bit, and like saving the day once your tank/healer die. Because the way I see it, DA warlock/Voidlord combo is probably the most durable combo ever. We don't need no stinking healer as long as voidlord has aggro. He takes roughly zero damage from heroic dungeon bosses, no joke.

I honestly feel like all real tanks are very good. My bear & my dk are both immortal, healers always comment that they didn't even have to heal me, they only heal the dps's. My warrior tank is lower lvl (50's), and I don't have a pally but I'd imagine they are both immortal at 90 as well.

All tanks could get nerfed a bit imo, and I wouldn't even be mad.

(Don't bother say warlocks can't tank raids, because I know that. I know warlocks aren't the best, that's obvious, but they are by are the best off-tank I've ever played, and that feeling you get when you save the group from wiping...that's priceless.)

Gotta agree with this. Any long time tanks out there looking to try a ranged DPS would be remiss not to roll a warlock. DA is absolutely incredible at destroying 5-mans. If I'm queue'ing up with my wife (holy/disc priest) I just straight up tank the run and ignore the crying tank. If I'm rolling alone, I can still hit one button and save almost any wipe if the tank is being an idiot or gets dead somehow.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Monks can outdo other tanks on aoe without even DPSing. Literally.

Paladins are pretty cool. They were more fun in Cata imo, but they are still pretty awesome.

Warriors are the best. That is all I will say.

Death Knights... oh god. imagine if you could only use Shield Barrier with some stupid heal tacked on. Thats how they feel to me.

Don't have a druid and I can't explain why but I have no interest in leveling one.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I love playing WoW, but sometimes I feel like playing Guild Wars 2(sometimes even D3).

So anyway, I was wondering what I should have for breakfast.
Reply Quote
42 Draenei Mage

So anyway, I was wondering what I should have for breakfast.

waffles.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]