How are some tamers this selfish

90 Night Elf Hunter
So I did a general flyby past Icecrown again this morning, and to my shock there was a green paw on my map. I fly down and it's a scourged whelpling! Up until this point I didn't think they existed. So I get into battle and manage to capture the common whelpling, thinking that I had finally finished with Northrend. Lo and behold a level 90 dk attacks me while I was killing the last critter and interrupts the battle. He then proceeds to kill me, enter battle with the whelp and instantly leave when he realises its only common quality, destroying what was likely my only chance of getting this little guy (I can't get on during restarts).

How can a tamer be so selfish to take a whelpling out of someone's hands then just despawn it and move on.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The worth of all things in this game is equal. There is nothing different between someone wanting a rare pet and you wanting that pet.

It is more valuable to him to try, than it is for you to have it, and as he is more powerful, he is able to take what he wants and send you crying to the forums.

If you want to compete, and this is a case of competition where rare (or even normal world) spawns are involved, you had best come prepared.

Also make sure to dismiss your pet.
Edited by Crimsonmage on 11/15/2012 2:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Druid
I hate to say it, but PvP realms really aren't the best places to tame pets if you don't want to deal with people ganking you. He might've also just destroyed it to spite you, for all we know.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
This is why I'm glad I play on a PvE server. I've been hearing a LOT about this. :/
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Oh also PVP realm griefing is old news, but the pet forums are new :P. Within the scope of the game terms and conditions, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to play or experience the game.

on an alternate and slightly absurd sounding tangent, how could you be so selfish as to think you were more deserving of those pixels? Every logical premise of your interaction with this person indicates that they don't have your best interests at heart.

ie: Opposing faction, competitive pet battler, spawn camper, higher level.

I want to know what your expectation was of, and also their race.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
11/15/2012 02:30 PMPosted by Buzzshot
Lo and behold a level 90 dk attacks me while I was killing the last critter and interrupts the battle. He then proceeds to kill me, enter battle with the whelp and instantly leave when he realises its only common quality, destroying what was likely my only chance of getting this little guy (I can't get on during restarts).

Whenever anyone tries to kill you for the pet, kill the pet. If you can't have it, don't let them have it either.

Had some guy pull this !@#$ on my 85 dk with a Minfernal earlier today.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
In all fairness Jubba, I only have 3.

No no no no. Kidding <3.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
He engaged in pvp on a pvp realm. He did nothing wrong, really. Yes, it's frustrating at times but it's what you sign up for on a pvp realm. The ever present threat of getting ganked during pvp battles is frustrating at times but also fun. The sweetest wins are when people try to catch you off guard during a pet battle and you stomp their butt anyway! Sometimes they're even dumb enough to come back for more!

I'm sorry this happened to you but it's just part of the deal when you roll on a pvp realm. I've lost tons of pets due to ganking. Not a minfernal or whelpling but plenty anyway. It's the cost of doing business, if you will.

Whenever anyone tries to kill you for the pet, kill the pet. If you can't have it, don't let them have it either.

Also this. Why another collector would even try to gank someone for a pet in the first place when the pet can be so easily killed from aoe is beyond me. Unless maybe being a DK he DG'd you away from the pet? If I get ganked the pet always dies making us both lose out.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I'm on a pvp realm and I've never been attacked while in a pet battle. I always thought you disappear when the battle begins?
Reply Quote
34 Goblin Hunter
That guy was really stupid, because next patch you'll be able to upgrade pets to rare anyway. So it's really a waste of time hunting for rares.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Deleted.
Edited by Darghon on 11/19/2012 12:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Deleted.
Edited by Darghon on 11/19/2012 12:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I got attacked by a small group of 3 Horde while in a pet battle with a rare Arctic Fox Kit. I identified the Shadow Priest among them as someone who was idle in the zone for quite some time waiting for snow weather -- so I knew they were also after the pet.

As soon as I got my bearings straight and the pet respawned, I took aim and murdered it with Arcane Shot before they killed me.

I'm not sure who is the bigger jerk. Them for ambushing me just to steal my pet or me for murdering the fox purely to deny them the rare.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
i understand how on a PvP server you can get interrupted from a battle... probably true on a PvE server too if you are flagged...

the part of the story i don't understand is that you say you were in battle with the pet already before he attacked you... i thought once you went into battle with a wild pet that if you didn't trap it nobody else can either...

in fact, i've surrendered a battle and i couldn't re-engage since it just vanishes (no second chance for me either)!

but then again, i couldn't be interrupted since i'm on a PvE server, so maybe that's the difference...
Edited by Pandao on 11/16/2012 11:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
When you forfeit a battle, the pet despawns. If you get interrupted by PvP or getting disconnected, the pet respawns with the same rarity and follow-ups it had before.

But, you can be attacked in PvP when you are battling a pet. Blizzard made it that way on purpose.
Reply Quote
I'm a huge World pvp Fanatic, but i have to say i feel for the OP. There is a difference between world pvp and straight up greifing. Yes you signed on for pvp, but for most of us this was back in the day where nobody had flying mounts. Nowadays someone can gank you while you're vulnerable, then stay flying in midair and you have no chance to engage them and collect your chance at vengeance. Back in the day, when everyone had ground mounts, you could call in some friends, and you could at least chase someone and even if they got into a town you had the choice of going in there and trying to kill the guy before dying to the guards. There are definitely times and places for pvp, but when it comes to rare spawns you see like once a week if you're lucky, pvp should not be involved.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The pet battle interface is extremely poor design for a pvp realm. The fact that you have no option to defend a resource you're collecting, in this case pet battling, makes no sense.

It's as if someone can make a mining node you want disappear just by tapping you for some small damage once or make a rare spawn you've tagged vanish without a real fight.

I have no problem with fighting for a resource. But the way it's implemented now is mostly stupid in the context of a pvp server.

It would be fine if, once attacked by another player, the pet battle ended immediately without the pet de-spawning or dying. The person who gets a shot at the pet should be the person who wins the ganking contest.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
11/16/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Shalura
When you forfeit a battle, the pet despawns. If you get interrupted by PvP or getting disconnected, the pet respawns with the same rarity and follow-ups it had before.

ok... that does explain it... thanks!

But, you can be attacked in PvP when you are battling a pet. Blizzard made it that way on purpose

i can understand why... if this were not the case, one could use a pet battle as a haven or an escape from oncoming PvP that one wishes to avoid...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I wish that it was easier to get out of the pet battle screen when you're attacked (as sometimes I'm farming with a level 85 or 86 toon and I'm hit by a 90. But since I rolled all of my toons on PVP servers, I expect and accept that I will be attacked at various points. It's the price you pay for having a little fun out in the world instead of seeing everyone as unattackable despite the other faction being your enemy!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]